Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 AM   #251
Scareebowfairy

Stop it! I hated it there's nothing you can say to make me change my mind dammit!
Scareebowfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #252
Solumina

The thing that bugs me the most about Twilight is the attitude that so many people have about it. When the first book came out it was just another crappy teen romance, nothing special, and it was pretty cheap so it made a good vacation kind of book, only a little on the long side. Then somehow it turned into this big thing, it has gotten a bit more expensive and people have started to go crazy about it, claiming that it is one of the greatest series ever, and it isn't. That and it saddens me that someone with a degree in English lit would make so many mistakes that she should have learned were wrong in middle school.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #253
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareebowfairy
I grew up with friends who watched Titanic tooo many times it's scarred me, any romance to me now is better than Titanic.
Titanic was beautifully directed, shot, scored and edited and the actors did wonderfully with the dialogue they were given.

Compare that to the completely meritless disaster that is Twilight.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #254
KontanKarite

The abridged version caused a small part f me to die inside.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #255
Solumina

Just be happy that you didn't read the full thing, six chapters in a row with absolutely no plot development led to me having a dream where I slammed Bella's head into a desk and told her to go find the plot already
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #256
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
The abridged version caused a small part f me to die inside.
There's an abridged version of Twilight?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #257
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I'll take your word for it, I already have too much on my nightstand to read every night to take on something else.
Holy crap! When I read this yesterday I thought it was Gothicus talking.
You got everyone!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #258
Ashlyea

Twilgiht... I now wonder how I managed to swallow all three books. Yes three.. And there's another coming out >.<

Ugh. I was barely able to stand reading through Twilight because the first three hundred pages was about the sparkly, but oh-so-dangerous romance. The second book was only slightly better because Bella was suffering almost the entire way through.

By the way. Fantastic parody.
Ashlyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #259
Raptor

Click here
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #260
TurquoiseXx

Ooooh, Homer Simpson and Robert Pattinson. Nice hahaha.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #261
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
Ooooh, Mr Sparkles and Robert Pattinson. Nice hahaha.
Fixed

And thanks hehe.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #262
TurquoiseXx

Oooh, Mr. Sparkles :P I haven't watched The Simpsons in soooo long.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #263
Delkaetre

I think perhaps almost everyone in this thread should read this.
http://www.searchlores.org/schopeng.htm
See, doesn't that make things so much clearer for all sides of any given debate?
(yes, I have just read through the GraveyardCrow bickering, staring in abject horror at the individual in question's use of tabloid tactics. How did you guess?)

I have not read Twilight. I do not intend to. When I want to turn off, I read Deadpool comics- violence, and that nice level of slightly uncomfortable humour. Or I read Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. Or I read Terry Pratchett.
Twilight, if it is anything like Anne Rice or Steven King's work, is below my 'off' level and into the 'reader of Hot Celeb Gossip Magazine' territory. But other people turn off around that level. As long as they don't try and tell me that shit is actually 'good', then there'll be no bother.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #264
honeythorn

I haven't read the book and don't intend to. but I have finally seen the trailer for the movie on youtube. NO is the answer. Just..NO.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #265
††BlackRose††

I love the Twilight series!!!
I don't know how the movie will turn out but the books are quite interesting/funny/cute.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:27 AM   #266
gothicusmaximus

By happenstance I found myself at Barnes and Noble during the 'release party' for the final installment of this saga.
I'm drinking my anguish away.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #267
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
I think perhaps almost everyone in this thread should read this.
http://www.searchlores.org/schopeng.htm
See, doesn't that make things so much clearer for all sides of any given debate?
(yes, I have just read through the GraveyardCrow bickering, staring in abject horror at the individual in question's use of tabloid tactics. How did you guess?)

I have not read Twilight. I do not intend to. When I want to turn off, I read Deadpool comics- violence, and that nice level of slightly uncomfortable humour. Or I read Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. Or I read Terry Pratchett.
Twilight, if it is anything like Anne Rice or Steven King's work, is below my 'off' level and into the 'reader of Hot Celeb Gossip Magazine' territory. But other people turn off around that level. As long as they don't try and tell me that shit is actually 'good', then there'll be no bother.
Ouch. Hey I like Stephen King.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:15 AM   #268
JCC

The Green Mile was good. Horror stories, just as horror movies, do nothing for me at all. You get a protagonist who's suicidal and doesn't care about dying, and suddenly there's nothing to scare you at all.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #269
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
I love the Twilight series!!!
I don't know how the movie will turn out but the books are quite interesting/funny/cute.
You're allowed to like it, but I have to say....no, it was -not- interesting, funny, or cute. That's like saying Interview With A Vampire was a deeply psychological crime drama. It's just...no.

But, out of curiosity, have you read any Anne Rice or Stephen King or any other, more advanced authors?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #270
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Wait wait wait...if you are comparing Meyer with Rice and King, then you haven't read any of them. Ever. At all.

And to say that a comic...even an extremely good comic...is somehow better than the literary giants Rice and King...

No no no. Something's very wrong here.

May I ask, have you ever read any of Anne Rice's books? Or Stephen King's? Did you even try to read any of Meyer's? [While I detest her, I detest her because I have at least given her a chance. I find condemning something without looking into it yourself to be absolutely abhorrent. :/ ]

Right now I'm reading through King's Dark Tower series, and it does anything but shut one's brain off. Seriously, it's one of the most complex pieces of modern literature I've read. And Rice, while terribly dramatic, still has very good character development [at least with her vampire series].
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #271
Underwater Ophelia

I'll bet Uni doesn't like Twilight because there aren't enough pee scenes in it.

I'll bet she also thinks that because of the complete lack of pee scenes, the writer must hate all piss fetishists and will have to stand up to the wrath of Uni, who is very intelligent, mighty, and smelling vaugely of asparagus.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #272
LetheanBlacklight

^^ who is very intelligent, and should not be "triffled" with. lol
LetheanBlacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #273
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
You're allowed to like it, but I have to say....no, it was -not- interesting, funny, or cute. That's like saying Interview With A Vampire was a deeply psychological crime drama. It's just...no.

But, out of curiosity, have you read any Anne Rice or Stephen King or any other, more advanced authors?

"Allowed"?

Who the fuck are you?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #274
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

You're a judgemental little shitheaad who has an over inflated value of what your opinion is worth.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #275
Saya

Something worse than Anne Rice? Is that possible?

I was wondering what was going on at the bookstore the other day, did Twilight come out with a new book recently? There were all sorts of girls going in dressed as vampires. I think I've heard of this series before but I'm usually too stuck up to by a teen book ^_^ Mostly because of my regret my teenage years was spent reading crap.

But seriously, anyone know any modern vampire book that was good? I like vampires, but aside from Salem's Lot and Dracula I can't think of a good book about them. Someone once gave me a book called Dark Gold, and it started off as a good vampire book.....then all plot developments stopped and the two characters fucked and kept fucking through the rest of the book. And it wasn't hot either, when the author is using the word "shaft" for a man's wee wee and "velvet sheath" for a girl's box. Then I realized with growing horror that I was reading a romance novel.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote