Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Tralis

Sisters of Mercy Videos

I was just looking through all the SOM music videos. What does everyone here think of them, independent of the songs themselves? Also, this forum being dedicated to Dr. Avalanche, why isn't the Doktor featured in any of the videos? I mean, really.

First and Last and Always Era:
Black Planet: I think the background images are all very appropriate for the subject matter. But it gets boring quickly. Eldritch doesn't manage to be that interesting and the rest of the band is literally sleeping.

Walk Away: Eldritch with very backcombed hair and some blue lights? Not much to say.

On YouTube I saw videos for First & Last & Always and Marian, but they both seem apocryphal and other sites didn't mention them. Anyone know if they are real?
Floodland Era:
This Corrosion: The setting seems rather odd and not terribly interesting. Eldritch's performance doesn't really captivate me, he uses the pole a bit much. I can't decide if I like Morrison's outfit or not, but she seems to steal the spotlight a bit and is more visually interesting for the video than Eldritch is to me.

Dominion: Definitely a step up from previous videos in visuals. I like the romantic visual themes the video has. Eldritch and Morrison's outfits also are nicely co-ordinated. Eldritch seems to take the outfit a bit more strictly than Morrison does, his beard works a lot for the look he is going for while Morrison's hair and makeup stand out a bit. Both of them have a lot to do in this video, they feel a lot more integrated with their surroundings rather than just playing in them, unlike most music videos.

Lucretia, my Reflection: I think this is Eldritch's best music video performance. He really adds to the song rather than just emptily lip-syncing. Luc... Patricia... er Morrison is only seen in glimpses of course, but she manages to be glamorous in each glimpse. The industrial background imagery also seems to have a taste of Romance, which is awesome. I guess Eldrich heard the roar of a big machine at whatever factory that is. Of course, his pole can sometimes be intrusive, but it works better than This Corrosion. Anyone know the story behind that one?

1959: Patricia looks like she's sleeping on the piano for the whole video. I can't say I blame her. Nothing in the background, just Eldritch lip-syncing without much purpose.

Vision Thing Era:
Doctor Jeep: Jerky, Spastic, and Awkward. I'm sure some of that is on purpose, but the whole video feels like a seizure. I like the news footage, but the actual shots of Eldritch don't add too much.

More: I like Eldritch's hair. He looks pretty cool for the video. Other than Eldritch and the rest faux-performing the music all we really have is bright lights. Not terribly interesting. No point.

Slight Case of Overbombing Era:
Under the Gun: Eldritch and Hadza topless while lights shine on them both. Doesn't really add anything to the song, needless.

Temple of Love: The original footage is interesting and mysterious, if a bit generic for "timeless love". The doves, for example, seem a bit cliched but apropriate. Also, the animated effects are kind of cheesy and seem like a forced attempt to be psychedelic. The rapid fire cuts of all the other SOM videos seem like a pointless attempt to fill space.

What are your opinions?
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
The Brooding One

^^^ Too long, didn't read.
The Brooding One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Tralis

Then why did you post?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
The Brooding One

Why is the sky blue?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
††BlackRose††

The songs are still good!
hehe
Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
The Brooding One

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppp!! !!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Tralis

BlackRose Agreed.
The Brooding OneAre you attempting to antagonize me? Why bump this topic?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
The Brooding One

Pithy much?