Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #126
onedarkly1

When Your Evil is a great Song V.

Don't let people get you down. Keep up the great work.

"I died a long time ago".
onedarkly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #127
Mr. Filth

Alright. He's won me over as a person because all of that post makes absolute sense. I still probably won't be buying an album any time soon but this...

Quote:
Everyone else.... I don't make Goth music...
I'm a Goth who makes music.
... That is pretty much it right there.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #128
tekajo

Hmm.

First time i even heard the name Voltaire (the musician) was when that kid on here was whining that it was banned at his school. But that's ok, i'm not a goth. i'm merely here collecting data.

Hot damn, GNet is moving up. We got a half-ass celebrity here again.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #129
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltairenyc

Kontan, I have no ill will towards you. You have an opinion and you were just throwing it out there and since I also happen to be a denizen of the web, I happened to be in earshot to throw it back. It's communication and communication is always a good thing. I'm really glad that my music plays some part in your life and that you cared enough about it to be moved (for better or worse) by my choices. All the best to you. I look forward to sharing a stage with you again sometime.
^That my spooky friends, is class.

Speaking of Voltaire's not-so-silly songs I really like "Blue Eyes Matador" because it feels very literary. Like he's singing a short-story to me or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #130
KontanKarite

Quote:
Kontan, I have no ill will towards you. You have an opinion and you were just throwing it out there and since I also happen to be a denizen of the web, I happened to be in earshot to throw it back. It's communication and communication is always a good thing. I'm really glad that my music plays some part in your life and that you cared enough about it to be moved (for better or worse) by my choices. All the best to you. I look forward to sharing a stage with you again sometime.

Everyone else.... I don't make Goth music...
I'm a Goth who makes music.

Cheers!
Voltaire

Nah, man... it's cool. I like your stuff. I just don't really care for anything even remotely related to MCR. :-/ Call me brutal or even prejudice, but yeah. Not my thing.

Hell, why not? It was fun last time we did it. A second stage thing would be pretty sweet. Take care, Voltaire.

But yeah, though you are a man who needs no introduction, unless I've missed it, being that you joined this forum, it's generally a good idea to post an introduction thread.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #131
KontanKarite

I will go so far as to say that I do appreciate you letting the fans come up on stage and helping you "remember" your songs for you. That's a cool thing. I wont lie, I... cried a little after that night. What can I say? I have very very few people I look up to or even find inspirational. But as it is, you're within that small group of people and being able to help you out on one of your songs... yeah. That was a sweet thing you did, V. Take care.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:53 AM   #132
CptSternn

I like Voltaire. Hes a nice guy and very talented. I can't stand MCR or any of that emo shite, but Voltaire is an artist of the truest sense. He not only does music, but has a few lines of toys and collectible he designed, has done rakes of films, and dabbles in many other mediums as well. Just because he did a bit of work with a group I don't care for doesn't change who he is, in fact, if anything it makes him more diverse.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #133
Fae-wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
Aye. That's the worst thing to happen since Avril Lavigne sang Fuel.
I'm don't think it's worse than that....
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #134
Tam Li Hua

Voltaire!!!! *huggles*

Now that I've thorougly embarrassed myself, you -really- need to come closer down in the Deep South!! You have fans down here too, ya know! Atlanta, or Birmingham would be GREAT!

But, of course, it's up to you! ^___^ [If you plan on visiting here or already have and I'm just unaware of it, then forgive me for the fangirlish question. ]
Old 12-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #135
Mr. Filth

double or nothing

Voltaire made a bet with his friends that he could defuse our criticism and disappear in a matter of two days, armed with nothing but his charisma.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #136
KontanKarite

I don't see where my critisism has changed. All that's happened is that the emotional aspects are diffused. I didn't make it about friends, I just had a bit of a critisism about art.

It'd be slightly the same if my buddy Desp decided to work with Todd Goldman. Sure, that's not nearly as extreme, but it's an extreme in the same playing feild.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #137
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
It'd be slightly the same if my buddy Desp decided to work with Todd Goldman. Sure, that's not nearly as extreme, but it's an extreme in the same playing feild.
Not as extreme? I think it would be worse.
EDIT: Then again, MCR's "Teenagers" is a ripoff of Whitesnake's "Steal Away".
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #138
KontanKarite

I meant Voltaire's thing was not as extreme.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #139
Necrophagist

Voltaire

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #140
Despanan

fuck Todd Goldman, and fuck his shitty plagiarized t-shirt designs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #141
Mealla

Much of this has already been stated, but here's my two cents on the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
I can't imagine putting him on alone with big headphones, lit candles and become lost in it.
And there is some music commonly classed as goth that doesn't meet this definition, and there is some music not "goth" that does meet this definition.

While musically Voltaire is not particularly what I would classify as "goth" music, I do enjoy his sound because I like a variety of music, his lyrics and imagery do poke fun at the subculture and I find them quite amusing (or in the case of the more serious songs, interesting), and he is obviously actively involved in events related to the subculture. Not to mention many "goth" people like his music for whatever reason. As a result, I think he's worth considering when looking at the subculture, because "goth" or not, he is related.

I also cannot blame the man for defending his choice to work on a project with a friend. Putting him down for such is like refusing to be someone's friend because they're not "goth," which would be extremely shallow. But then again, I suppose as a whole people who classify themselves as goth tend to be shallow and apathetic. Personally, I find life too short for that sort of thing.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #142
Necrotansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
This guy wrote a book on the definition of 'Goth'? The guy who misspelled "Eldritch" twice?
LOL! This thread is amusing. 4chan thematics come into mind.

Yeah, well... There's no real need to discuss Gerard as an artist when all he does is narrate, I think. Even though I don't think having MCR related to anything 'goth' is right.
I've listened to some Voltaire before this thread & I also thought that he was like the 'Goth Weird Al'.

Oh, and hi, Voltaire!
Necrotansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #143
Necrotansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Much of this has already been stated, but here's my two cents on the whole thing.

And there is some music commonly classed as goth that doesn't meet this definition, and there is some music not "goth" that does meet this definition.

While musically Voltaire is not particularly what I would classify as "goth" music, I do enjoy his sound because I like a variety of music, his lyrics and imagery do poke fun at the subculture and I find them quite amusing (or in the case of the more serious songs, interesting), and he is obviously actively involved in events related to the subculture. Not to mention many "goth" people like his music for whatever reason. As a result, I think he's worth considering when looking at the subculture, because "goth" or not, he is related.

I also cannot blame the man for defending his choice to work on a project with a friend. Putting him down for such is like refusing to be someone's friend because they're not "goth," which would be extremely shallow. But then again, I suppose as a whole people who classify themselves as goth tend to be shallow and apathetic. Personally, I find life too short for that sort of thing.

I agree with you.
Necrotansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #144
LivingInAToolbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Not to mention many "goth" people like his music for whatever reason. As a result, I think he's worth considering when looking at the subculture, because "goth" or not, he is related.
Many "goths" I've known over the years seem to enjoy Manson for some reason - that being the only massive defect in their otherwise spotless taste, but so do many mallgoths. It is through this that you should see your reason is absolute bullshit.
LivingInAToolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #145
LivingInAToolbox

And this celebrity dick-sucking is pitiful. I thought at least the goddamn trolls would stand firm against it and I was wrong. He bends over, buttcheeks spread, THANKING YOU for buttr aping him and you honor that. Wow...
Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #146
Albert Mond

I don't really see what's wrong with Manson beyond the fact that he gets mistaken for Goth Rock. Oh. And his fans are faggots. The music's fine, though.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #147
LivingInAToolbox

Quote:
he gets mistaken for Goth Rock.
THAT WAS MY POINT. Goths liking something does not mean it has shit to do with the subculture.
Quote:
The music's fine, though.
No, it isn't.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #148
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAToolbox
THAT WAS MY POINT. Goths liking something does not mean it has shit to do with the subculture.
I think it's pretty clear that I wasn't arguing against that. I was arguing that he makes alright music.
Quote:
No, it isn't.
What about Manson turns you off?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #149
Jonathan

I'm about a month late, but if you're still peeking, then thanks for signing my Hot Topic Frequent Shopper card at the Haven in Northampton MA.

I had oodles of fun at the show.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #150
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

What about Manson turns you off?
I don't like his music.
It's whiny, his voice makes me sick, and his lyrics are literally laughable.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote