Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
Deadmanwalking_05

Anyone that has grown up hunting for their food has a deep respect for what they take,No matter the type of arm used (Bow,Sling shot,Shotgun,rifle or handgun) I can't use a bow or a sling shot worth a damn,but respect others that can.

Hell most of the fun for me was being out and about instead of sitting at home.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #27
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine Entropic Wyrm View Post
The notion that prohibiting anything will work is silly. Humans were killng each other for millenia prior to the invention of firearms. If someone gets it in their head to do harm to another, it will either happen or it will not.
Do firearms make it easier? Certainly. They are the great equaliser. So do vehicles, really. Is it tragic that they are used irresponsibly? Absolutely. If we could erase their invention, I would be for it. Let hunters use bows and learn a deep respect for their prey. But it's idealistic to presume prohibiting guns will work. Humans are clever enough to invent firearms - and clever enough to find a way around any attempt to regulate their actions.
Agreed. Prohibition has never, and will never work. Versus, you seem to have the (fucking retarded) idea that because we have lax gun laws, that that is the sole reason that gun crime is huge. Do you not think that movies glorifying shooting the ever loving shit out of anything that is in your way, gangster rap that basically equates guns with penises, the fact that our prison system tends to breed even more violent criminals, the huge population, the huge crystal meth problem, and yes, the fucking lax gun laws, all blend together to give us such a high gun crime rate?

Do you not think that without all of those things being resolved together, that the gun crime rate isn't going to change? Even if we banned all guns for everyone forever, the gun crime rate would probably drop, but I guaran-goddamn-tee you the rate violent crime probably wouldn't, it would just be knives and improvised weapons instead. We are a violent fucking culture. Guns are a tool, not a mind bending door to violence, you dipshit.

I own two guns. I have shot exactly zero living things with either of them. I will probably go my entire life without having to use either of them on a living being, and I would die happy knowing that. However, if everybody already has fucking guns (which they do, and you're a fool to think anybody can take that away from them), then you bet your sweet ass I'm going to have one, too. It makes no sense to leave yourself vulnerable. I would use that gun on anybody threatening me in my home, have they a knife, a club, a large frozen trout, or a fucking gun.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
Saturnine Entropic Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Anyone that has grown up hunting for their food has a deep respect for what they take,No matter the type of arm used (Bow,Sling shot,Shotgun,rifle or handgun) I can't use a bow or a sling shot worth a damn,but respect others that can.
I didn't mean to infer a lack of respect on the part of all firearm-using hunters. There are a number of greedy hunters, of course, and a number of respectful ones. I suspect using a bow would bring a deeper respect for prey, because of the increased challenge as well as the terran, organic feel of such a weapon.
Saturnine Entropic Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #29
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine Entropic Wyrm View Post
I didn't mean to infer a lack of respect on the part of all firearm-using hunters. There are a number of greedy hunters, of course, and a number of respectful ones. I suspect using a bow would bring a deeper respect for prey, because of the increased challenge as well as the terran, organic feel of such a weapon.
I didn't take any offense of your post,just wanted to add my two pennies.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #30
CIRQUEFREAK91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post

Hell most of the fun for me was being out and about instead of sitting at home.
Also, it's more satisfying knowing that you 'caught' your own food.
CIRQUEFREAK91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #31
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIRQUEFREAK91 View Post
Also, it's more satisfying knowing that you 'caught' your own food.
It's the natural order when you think about it,it's getting back to basics,just yourself,the arm that you have chosen,and the wilderness.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #32
Deadmanwalking_05

But to get this back on the original topic.

Thugs (Badguys,whatever else you want to call them) will do what they can to take what they want/need from another by force.

The cops can't be everywhere all the time,so again in a way it's back to basics,just the home owner/would be victim,their weapon of choice,and the threat,sure the police will get there after everything is said and done,but the two that are in direct conflict have to decide for themselves the outcome.

A weapon used in direct threat of life vs A weapon to defend self,family,and property.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #33
AshleyO

*facepalm*

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
Versus

Having actually shot people, rather then fantasized about it like a prepubescent boy, I really love when people tell me what they are going to do with their gun.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #35
Deadmanwalking_05

You're not going to troll me on this Versus...nice try though.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #36
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Having actually shot people, rather then fantasized about it like a prepubescent boy, I really love when people tell me what they are going to do with their gun.
Particularly when they're trying to claim they're a big badass who's totally capable of taking down the Mexican cartels singlehandedly, but also claims they're too weak and pitiful to be a productive member of society and needs our tax money to live.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Particularly when they're trying to claim they're a big badass who's totally capable of taking down the Mexican cartels singlehandedly, but also claims they're too weak and pitiful to be a productive member of society and needs our tax money to live.
Like you've never been wasted out of your mind for four years.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #38
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
This message is hidden because Deadmanwalking_05 is on your ignore list.
This isn't difficult people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #39
Saya

Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #40
Deadmanwalking_05

I'm not going to get mad and start throwing insults so you're just wasting your time kids.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #41
ape descendant

Rattlesnakes aren't evil, but I notice people aren't clamoring to have them around everywhere they go.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #42
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Rattlesnakes aren't evil, but I notice people aren't clamoring to have them around everywhere they go.
And rattle snakes are living things driven purely by instict,they have a will of their own,firearms are no different than a keyboard,in that they are non-living things that must first be acted upon by a living being.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #43
ape descendant

Except keyboards aren't deadly in the hands of flaming idiots.

Be Kind
Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #44
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Except keyboards aren't deadly in the hands of flaming idiots.
They can be if that's what a person chooses to use them for.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
KissMeDeadly

I live how Versus kind of gave up. Not speaking for deadman, but I'll go ahead and again say that I have never show a living being, and I, really hope I never have to. I go want to have that ability though, if it some comes down to it.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #46
ape descendant

Oh come on, you're really reaching with that one... it takes a whole lot more cunning and effort to kill some one with a keyboard than it takes to shoot them with a gun.

Stretching like that doesn't help your argument at all.

To be fair, I think the rattlesnake analogy holds quite well, considering we're talking about OTHER people being armed as well. Being queer as fuck in a rather conservative place it just bugs me a little that the people who'd be most inclined to do me harm for no good reason are the one's most likely to be armed.

One thing I've noticed is they way you've dismissed what Versus has to say. I'd imagine he'd be the guy to talk to about guns, what they do and how people tend to use them. What's up with that?

Be Kind
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #47
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Oh come on, you're really reaching with that one... it takes a whole lot more cunning and effort to kill some one with a keyboard than it takes to shoot them with a gun.

To be fair, I think the rattlesnake analogy holds quite well, considering we're talking about OTHER people being armed as well. Being queer as fuck in a rather conservative place it just bugs me a little that the people who'd be most inclined to do me harm for no good reason are the one's most likely to be armed.

One thing I've noticed is they way you've dismissed what Versus has to say. I'd imagine he'd be the guy to talk to about guns, what they do and how people tend to use them. What's up with that?
Versus was trying to troll me into a different agrument and I avoided it.

What about your prejudice toward them,I mean if you have been physically attacked because of your sexual orientation I can very well understand why you feel the way you do.

But if that's the case wouldn't you want to be able to protect yourself?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #48
Saya

Quote:

Not to mention if you shoot young black boys, the police have to be dragged kicking and screaming to arrest you, but if a trans woman of colour kills a white man to defend herself, she's a murderer and could get the death penalty. In the same state with the same hold your ground laws.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #49
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Not to mention if you shoot young black boys, the police have to be dragged kicking and screaming to arrest you, but if a trans woman of colour kills a white man to defend herself, she's a murderer and could get the death penalty. In the same state with the same hold your ground laws.
Stand your ground laws are not the problem in either case,it's the misuse of them (as in the Zimmerman/Martin case)

The other one I haven't heard about,mind posting a link to it?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
because we have lax gun laws, that that is the sole reason that gun crime is huge.

Even if we banned all guns for everyone forever, the gun crime rate would probably drop,
So now you're speaking in circles. I already spoke about the immediate result of restrictive gun laws and can use the examples of every city, country, whatever, that has them to provide evidence, but apparently examples taken from the real world aren't enough. So yeah, I have given up. I can't fix stupid.

You're trying to make this into something it isn't. We're talking about guns and the violence specific to them, not violence in general. Your argument is that what can be accomplished with guns could also be accomplished without them. I'd like you to back this up with evidence as I have. Go ahead. I'll wait.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote