Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Isis

Hello there.

Hi, I'm new (shock horror!).

I've sticky nosed these forums before today, as they sometimes pop-up from random Googling. So I thought I'd sign-up! Why not?

I'm awful at introductions. So sorry about that. I'll use some of the suggested questions to help flesh this out a bit. But since this is a Gothic forum I guess I should confront the age old question...

Am I Goth? Well... I honestly don't know. I've never been good at sticking myself to any label, so I guess you can decide that for yourselves! I do, however, know that I have a strong interest in various aspects of the culture.

Now for some of the staple questions!

What do I do? I'm a Uni student in Psychology / Arts. I also have an interest in Belly dancing, and am a bit of a homebody.

Where am I from? Australia. Not my favorite place, but hey, it could be a lot worse.

Who is my favorite author? I'll be honest about this... I don't read as much as I'd like, so I can't really answer this question properly. Not to say I don't like reading, but, I find it hard to motivate myself to get into a book - once I start reading I usually rather enjoy it.

What music do I want played at my wedding? At my funeral? For a wedding, probably some Hannah Fury or Rhea's Obsession - gentle, softer music. For a funeral? Well... Something upbeat, mood-lifting. Voltaire maybe?

What kind of casket would I want? Onyx, with silver brocade-style (there's probably a better word for this...) patterned edging.

What's my favorite band? I like all kinds of music, to pick one would be regrettable. As previously mentioned, I love Voltaire and Rhea's Obsession. I also listen bands such as early-Tristania, Collide, Inkubus Sukkubus, Lesbian Bed Death, Mephisto Walz, Beats Antique, Sins of Thy Beloved, 45 Grave, Siebenburgen, Miranda Sex Garden, Draconian, Bella Lune, Rising Shadows, etc. Namely female singers with potent (often atmospheric) backing music.

Why did I join? ... I honestly don't know! Though I don't have a huge amount of people in my area with similar interests... so it could be nice to find some people with shared interest. Oh, and I'm a girl, in case you were wondering.

TLDR; Hi, I'm all new and stuff.
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Acharis

Welcome!

From what I know this site used to be for goths but drifted a bit, so the ties aren't so strong now. All kinds of folk here... but your taste in music will probably go down well.

I'm also from Australia, and approve of the Bellydance (though I've been too lazy to sign up).
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Welcome!

From what I know this site used to be for goths but drifted a bit, so the ties aren't so strong now. All kinds of folk here... but your taste in music will probably go down well.

I'm also from Australia, and approve of the Bellydance (though I've been too lazy to sign up).
Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I like all kinds of things, so all kinds of folk are fine with me.

I started the dancing last year. I haven't picked it up again this year (yet) because of some real life issues. But I intend to in the near future, maybe later in the term. You should sign up though - it's great fun, and the more the merrier!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
MissCheyenne

Welcome to G.Net. What is it about Australia that you don't like? I know dozens of people who are desperate to move there but can't afford to due to how strict the country is about people moving there for good.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Welcome to G.Net. What is it about Australia that you don't like? I know dozens of people who are desperate to move there but can't afford to due to how strict the country is about people moving there for good.
I've been living here all my life, I've never had an overseas holiday or such. I just could really use a change of scenery. You'll find a lot of people who've been here (or any country) for such a period of time are craving a change. Though of course there are a lot worse places I could be stuck in!

That being said... the people you speak of may very well adore it here. Generally I've found people who come here from overseas, whether it be for the long stint or a holiday, really love Australia. Culturally it's somewhere between America and Europe, and I think that appeals to a lot of people.

The only real reason I've found people who've come here not to like it is because of the weather.

On a side note: I know getting into Australia can be tricky. I imagine it's even worse since the economic crisis. I wish the best of luck to those you're speaking of!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
MissCheyenne

I can understand wanting to see new places, I've lived in the UK my whole life and have never been abroad. I personally wouldn't fancy going to Australia, partly because of the heat and also because I'd be terrified of the wildlife.

I am your slice of pie
Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Isis

I'm not a fan of the cold... but the heat here can get a bit much sometimes. Though I'd love to go to the UK, even if it is a little chilly.

Oh yes, and we do have some vicious drop bears!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
MissCheyenne

I'm just terrible with heat, even English summers are hot for me so I can't imagine enjoying the heat in a place like Australia. I am of course, typically pale so I burn easily and end up hiding indoors during the two days of summer we get here!

I am your slice of pie
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
I also have an interest in Belly dancing...
My friend Beth does this thing she calls "tribal fusion" belly dancing (I think). She showed me a couple videos on her phone. It looked like it took place in the Temple of Doom. Kinda cool.

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote