Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Delkaetre

Bands That Need More Love

There are many bands out there with great talent but no real fanbase. New bands, old bands, bands that wrote their songs in an obscure Ukranian dialect....
Who do you think needs more love?
Personally, I think that Helium Vola, Ashengrace and The Fair Sex don't get nearly enough love. Hanging in Kareyth was a great song, and the Fair Sex just don't get the mention they should.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Slap Your Love

Sex Gang Children, The Virgin Prunes, Dresden Dolls, Fields of Nephilim, The Mission, Dead Can Dance, Blutengel.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
She_Is_My_Sin

Tristania definitely. They're always dumped into the 'female fronted gothic metal' when clearly they have something different from the rest. Before the founding member left, they were alright but rather mundane. You know, choirs, orchestral tracks, operatic vocals etc. But last years 'Ashes' is a truely remarkable album. It's dark, edgy & unique. They used to have three singers ( a female singer, a male singer with a voice a teeny weeny bit like Eldritch's & some guy who does all the screaming) but lost the screamy guy & have now upped the clean vocals. I wouldn't pinpoint them on metal exactly because they're very experimental. Definitely worth a look though. (can't wait until 'Illumination' is released later this month )

Sorry to go on a little bit, but they are extremely over looked, when they are clearly better than some of those female goth groups (*cough*Darkwell)

www.tristania.com
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Haunted House

I agree with Slap Your Love when I say the Virgin Prunes and the Sex Gang Children. Also 45 Grave, Theatre of Hate, and the Southern Death Cult.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Delkaetre

Sex Gang Children, The Virgin Prunes, Dresden Dolls, Fields of Nephilim, The Mission, Dead Can Dance, Blutengel...
aww, but they're all well known in the gothish circles! The Mish and the Neph especially. What about the poor obscure bands that never made it to gothish fame?
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Two bands that I have never seen mentioned but once, and not even on this forum, are Faun and Qntal.
They're very melodic, and kind of celtic.
Another band I don't hear much about is Mortiis. Mortiis' first CD is not too shabby. The second one is more techno, and is my personal favorite. But I don't like they turned the "metal" way for their third one.
Finally, one band that, despite having its share of followers, I don't see mentioned often: Gothminister. The band is industrial, not goth; don't get confused because of the name.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #7
Spectral Despondence

First on the list - Coheed and Cambria. Maybe just the singer more than the rest of them but dear god - the poor guy has some issues clearly stated in his music. I mean I like the band and all but lyrics like 'Im spying on you Newo!' being screamed in a chorus just underlines 'hug please!' lol Nothing like a stalker hung-up over his ex to qualify in this one.
Spectral Despondence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Spectral Despondence

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Is_My_Sin
Tristania definitely. They're always dumped into the 'female fronted gothic metal' when clearly they have something different from the rest. Before the founding member left, they were alright but rather mundane. You know, choirs, orchestral tracks, operatic vocals etc. But last years 'Ashes' is a truely remarkable album. It's dark, edgy & unique. They used to have three singers ( a female singer, a male singer with a voice a teeny weeny bit like Eldritch's & some guy who does all the screaming) but lost the screamy guy & have now upped the clean vocals. I wouldn't pinpoint them on metal exactly because they're very experimental. Definitely worth a look though. (can't wait until 'Illumination' is released later this month )

Sorry to go on a little bit, but they are extremely over looked, when they are clearly better than some of those female goth groups (*cough*Darkwell)

www.tristania.com
Tristania is a great bad. I remember their earlier stuff and everything you said sums them up well. I still dig the choiry stuff though =P What else would you expect though from a Nightwish and Theatre of Tragedy fan
Spectral Despondence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
PersephoneX

Tonight We Die! Armour for Nightmares! Antipathy! Sniper on the Roof! Dogs of War...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
Splintered

My personal list of bands that need more love:
Bleed the Sky, Naglfar, Iced Earth (Yeah, I know they're fairly popular. But still. They deserve some extra love, just because), Dark Tranquillity, The Black Dahlia Murder, Isis, and finally Nevermore.
Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Alaizabel Cray

Lemon Demon. 'Nuff said.

Ok, so Lemon Demon is getting a lot of love via the internet, but all anyone seems to know is "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny", which isn't even one of the best songs. I say check out "Samuel and Rosella", "Ebaums World Dot Com" (of course, like the second most famous LD song out there haha) and basically the entire Hip to The Javabean album. Sure, it's nowhere near Gothic, but I just think Neil Cicierega is a genius. And if he's not, he's still freaking hilarious.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
She_Is_My_Sin

Corpus Delicti. They've split up now but they started up in the 90's. They have the sound of S.O.M & they did a great cover of Siouxsie 'Headcut'.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #13
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Sex Gang Children, The Virgin Prunes, Dresden Dolls, Fields of Nephilim, The Mission, Dead Can Dance, Blutengel...
aww, but they're all well known in the gothish circles! The Mish and the Neph especially. What about the poor obscure bands that never made it to gothish fame?
Well....the need MORE LOVE. =D
Old 09-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
Delkaetre

Ah!
The Creatures, definitely. And I think that not nearly enough people pay attention to the Birthday Party.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #15
Haunted House

X-mal Deutschland, Tones on Tail, and The March Violets need more love as well.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
badteccy

Tones on Tail, X-Mal Deutschland, Virgin Prunes, Dead Fly Ensemble
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
PoupeeCelestia

Location: Lapiland =) quite a nice place with purple mountains and that kind of stuff...
[quote=Splintered]Iced Earth (Yeah, I know they're fairly popular. But still. They deserve some extra love, just because)[quote]
I like them too, very much. But they fit more in the "power/trash/bit symphonic metal" stuff...
I´ve had more trouble than a thought finding info about X-Mal Deutschland...and Andy Sex Gang too...=S
PoupeeCelestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #18
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Ah!
The Creatures, definitely.
Isn't that Siouxsie & Budgie's group?
I think I may have heard some of their stuff....
Old 09-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #19
homo-adonis

Yes, Definately the Virgin Prunes! Also Fad Gadget, Lowlife, And also the trees, Life in Sodom, Breathless, and the Neon judgement. get my vote.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #20
badteccy

oh, and Rosetta Stone.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

Nox Arcana, Xandria, Cinema Strange, and Echo & the Bunnymen.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #22
DarkHeartedDemoness

I think the fellows in Green Day need more love. If somebody loved them, maybe they'd stop writing shitty angsty music.
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #23
Argine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
Blutengel.
I think Blutengel have some corny lyrics but they also have some really catchy songs, they have that Vampire Romance one that I could sing along to for hours.
Argine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #24
madweasel

I think Echo and the Bunnymen qualify as a 'rediscovery' as they were around when I was a sprat!

Goth bands that deserve some attention: Ghost Orgy tops my list, as they are quite possibley the only 'goth rock' band I've seen live in recent times that really hit it for me. Most tend to slide into a more industrial rock or a love of laptops and mixers. GO is not afraid of instruments with strings, and uses them well. The lead singer also has a set of pipes on her and can work a crowd.

For the more industrial sound, Anti-Mechanism are some local lads from here in the NYC area who are just doing amazing work.

Good examples of both can be found easily enough on myspace.
madweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:37 AM   #25
Slap Your Love

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argine
I think Blutengel have some corny lyrics but they also have some really catchy songs, they have that Vampire Romance one that I could sing along to for hours.
>.< I love Blutengel, they have a very different lyrical style than most bands, save Theatres des vampires.