Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this 'ban'?
It's understandable 16 8.56%
It's B.S.! (that's what I have to say about it anyway..) 140 74.87%
Don't really care.. 31 16.58%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #226
deamonchild

discrimination in school

I think that they should fuck off about what we wear I mean look at what the prppy people wear they dress more sluty than we even think about dressing atleast we wear baggy pants and long shirts even if our shirts say bad things look at the cleavage the preps show or even the ass that hangs out their pants, no one wants to see that. My school wont even let us wear chains or spikes because they think we are going to kill people. what the fuck do we look like mass murders? nevermind that some of us are crazy enough to kill people but that doesnt matter they need to learn more about us before they judge us. All the people in my school despise us. me and my friends go around wearing things we want yet we get in trouble but preps can wear the sluttiest outfit ever and get away with it. so FUCK the school and the preps they dont deserve to live!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK SCHOOL RULES!!!!!!!!!!
deamonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #227
edible_eye

... and her words flow like poetry...

... and i'm really diggin' her mind ...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #228
Godslayer Jillian

If you dress elegantly, as I would like to think for the perfect gothic outfit , they don't say anything.
So, anyway, DEamonchild, I have some things to tell you:
First of all, watch very carefully for your writing. As Xnguela has so grandiously put it, we are a literary culture.
Second; although I agree in part with what you said, you can say it in a less harsh way. The more civilized, the better.
Third; it's been months since the last time someone posted on this thread. Watch for the dates.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #229
OCD Insomnia

I know this is out of date.(Wich I just noticed after writing it.)But I wrote it so why not share?

I have too recently had issues with my school because the staff did not like the way I looked. First, they had a problem with my pentacle, I then showed them the handbook were it said anything religious can not be forced not to wear. Then, I had to dye my hair 6 different times, making me loose alot of money on dye and bleach, because the shade of red in my hair was not natural.(She also used the infamous "I got an anonymous complaint, in wich, it is a distraction.Remove it at once." When they say this, they lie. This is another way for saying "I dont like the way you look, so change until you fit in.) My final breaking point was when I was told to take out my gauged earring. I kept them in, and my teacher told me to have my parents call and yell at the district. Sure enouph, my mother called in rage and they left me alone. School tolerance is all based on the staff.
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #230
Jane13

This sort of has to do with this thread, but I can really think of no better place to put this rant.

In my opnion, good teachers notice when curriculum just isn't working for the students. At our school, we have a few teachers who care enough to also try to find out WHY students that score excellently on standardized tests are making failing grades, why minority students aren't making it, and why the special-ed kids aren't making it. Our school board HATES that because it means they have to do something about it.

Now two of the finest teachers I have ever met have been asked to resign so that they don't have to be fired. One of them was targeted under the statement that they "didn't like her judgement." She was a great teacher, who gave the smart, previously indifferent kids more challenging alternate asignments and the kids who didn't understand what was going on lots of attention.

They didn't like her judgement because she didn't have tenure and was on the Teacher's Union, and actively tryed to change our curent situation with curriculum, money that comes into the school (nearly ALL of it goes to football), and the rediculous atmosphere that our school has toward students.

In the middle of winter they kicked us out of the front corridor promtly at 4:30 because it was school policy! We had to wait untill 5:30 for our parents to get there, and because it had been warmer that day none of us had coats. It would've done them well to freeze my two friends to death that had been on high honors all troughout highschool. The lousy ingrates.

The other teacher was the union president, and was working for similar goals.

I know that wasn't really about discrimination, but I needed to get that out... garg.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #231
WolfMoon

Jane, that really sucks. I had some great teachers(and one principal) in school that really tried to help the kids they worked with(or should I say for?).

Once the great ones are gone, the others seem all the worse by comparison. I'm sorry your school sucks, love.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #232
Jane13

Aw, thankies. It could be a lot worse, but it's just upsetting that our school has no excuse to be as bad as it is because it COULD be so much better. I mean, when the thing was built two years ago, some of the electricians felt sory for us and secretly didn't attatch all of the camera to anything...

Cameras are another thing.... they have cameras in out locker rooms because people keep stealing out of there, but my friends get jumped at the mall, so they try to get to the school because of the cameras and people, and the cameras that can read your tshirt inside of your car can't prove that THEY were the ones being attacked!

Garg. Sleepy. I probably souldn't have continued on that rant...
thanks again for the sympathies.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #233
CptSternn

Yeah, same in Ireland. All schools have uniforms, all are the same, so none of these issues appear. Goth kids are still goth, just after they go home of the day.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #234
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Yeah, same in Ireland. All schools have uniforms, all are the same, so none of these issues appear. Goth kids are still goth, just after they go home of the day.
Not in my school, sure you wore a uniform, but everything else about appearence can be and was altered. Basically the discrimination was still there.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #235
Jane13

Hi, Peter! Hi hi hi!
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #236
OCD Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I'm sorry you got a suck staff. I've heard lots of stories about sucky teachers discriminating. I think a lot of the time, though, it's because of entitled little twats who don't think about it from another point of view. I don't mean you, OCD Insomnia! I mean those kids that think that even though, say, there's been a lot of fights in school recently and the teachers are worried that it will escalate, the reason they can't wear a spiked bracelet is because everyone's out to get them. Or the kids who feel that if they wear everything Hot Topic is currently carrying in their stores, they'll be cool, and don't see that maybe it's excesssive and yes, truly distracting.

The "goth" thing is really best done tastefully and in moderation anyway. And those entitled twatfarts don't get that, either.

I mean, make your hair stopsign red, wear a pentacle, and then dress in a tasteful black t-shirt with a knee-length skirt. Maybe throw some crazy tights in there. But don't spike your hair until you can't go through the classroom doors, have a CoF masturbating-nun shirt on, and write all of the collected poems of E.A. Poe in little squiggles around your eyes. Sure you might feel gothy, but you'll look like an ass.
Yes, I do have bright hair, but I don't spike it. Nore do I wear offensive t-shirts. My normal wardrobe consists of a black t-shirt, black or blue jeans, a black headband, and jean jacket. I'm more for the street punk look. Even if i did spike my hair its only about four inches long, so I can still fit through doors.
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #237
Jane13

Really, with their long hair, rock music and illegal fireworks!

"He had hair down to his goddamn shoulders! And he says to me... 'just, just trim it a little'.... I took my scissors to his head SO FAST..." -Senile Barber from Beetlejuice
-Cinema Strange
Old 03-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #238
maggot

Oh my god!

Hah, modern mainstream culture.
What ever happened to the flappers? They had kickass hair. Oh, and they were always with Buster Keaton
Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #239
Reject_Bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
What ever happened to the flappers? They had kickass hair. Oh, and they were always with Buster Keaton
{That picture is as bad as those girls that can't hide their thong)

"Flappers" were women in the 1920's who wanted to throw off female stereotypes,so they drank,cursed,and basically ran wild. It later became more mainstream to wear the long loose fitting clothes and strings of beads,basically to look in style. Both Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd (Both revials of Charlie Chaplin) used the flapper-type of girl in their silent films.
Reject_Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #240
Reject_Bunnies

I have a feeling that I can't win...
should I start a topic about high heels,I have no idea.

....Hello

....Kitty?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #241
maggot

Gawd, you people just can't tell my jokes sometimes.

And I love Mr. Keaton. I find his films funny as hell.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #242
Reject_Bunnies

Thongs with words on them just gives somebody the reason they need to oogle your butt(Staring..me? No,I was reading your Hello Kitty comic).
Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #243
maggot

Exactly, Reject.
If you have a poem on your bewbs, I'm gonna read it.

And you had better get to know my jokes! *Smashes left hand on desk, picks up the bone splinters and brandishes them at elder members*
Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #244
Reject_Bunnies

Calm down,everybody keep their pants on
Old 03-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #245
maggot

It was the best costume ever
Old 03-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #246
Reject_Bunnies

On the internet,who knows if you're not wearing pants.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:22 AM   #247
CptSternn

Surf (the Web) Naked
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #248
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
It's my personal gawthy creedo "I wear no pants".
Uh...........

*thud*
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:49 AM   #249
Mood

Again, because I can't pick up on the current conversation I would like to say that schools have every right to post dress restrictions. Also, I don't lend sympathy to people who are teased for what they wear to school if it was their choice to wear it.

If you don't want to be descriminated against, don't dress differently. And if you feel that strongly about your subculture, I suggest you google "coporate goth" to get tips on how to dress goth and yet still function in society.
Mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #250
homo-adonis

I think I'm a little older than most on this board and I must say back when I was in middle school in the early eighties I had tattoos. And I got hell for them let alone the rest of my look. Remember tattoos were not a maistream thing like they are now and seeing Goths , Punks , or even New wavers back then in school was not too common. I thought things now would be much better.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote