Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Nevan

Magneto kid...

'Magnetic Boy' keeps crashing computers

An American schoolboy appears to have developed a special talent – for crashing computers.

Joseph Falciatano, a 12-year-old from New York state, has taken on the moniker 'Magneto Man' after continuously causing his school's computers to stop working.

Experts are baffled as to why the youngster has the bizarre power but believe it is down to the unique amount of static electricity he produces.

In order to keep their IT suite running, the school put a grounding pad under Joe and gave him an anti-static wrist-strap.

"Another student could use a computer, and it would be fine. But if Joe was on it, weird things started to happen," Marie Yerdon, computer lab teacher at Lura Sharp Elementary School in Pulaski, told local newspaper The Post-Standard.

"I think there's something in his body chemistry, something in his makeup that causes the computers to go haywire."

The school also emailed his parents to inform them of their son's capacity to stop electrical devices – a tendency they also see at home.

Joe also had problems with his Xbox console, and was 'forced' to upgrade to an Xbox 360 as a result of the issues the wired controller on the older model was having.

The Xbox would freeze whenever Joe tried to use it and even with the wireless controller used on the Xbox 360 he has to sit across the room from the games console.

Joe's special powers also almost resulted in the cancellation of an awards ceremony for his fellow students and their parents after a slide show of the fifth-grade schoolchildren began to crash because he was too near.

"They were going through the slide show, and my son was sitting quietly," Joe's dad, also called Joe, said.

"And all of a sudden, the music started to slow down and get distorted, and the pictures were messing up, stuff like that. As parents, we didn't think anything of it, until two teachers sprinted over to get to Joe. We're thinking, 'What did he do? Did he do something wrong?'

"The teachers moved him away to the side of the room, and then the slide show started going again, and the computer went back up to speed. And then we realized that it wasn't that Joe was misbehaving. They were moving him away from the hard drive so the computer wouldn't crash."

Static experts have been called in to monitor the youngster but have been so far unable to pinpoint the cause, admitting that his super-static ability remains a "mystery".

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...4&in_page_id=2

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Solumina

dude, that is actually kind of cool, sucks for the kid though
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Underwater Ophelia

That sucks. I've heard of people making watches malfunction and stuff, but that's really dramatic.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Disposable_Icon

That's quite interesting... o.o

I feel sorry for the kid... I'd hate to see how this affects him later on in his life. =\
Disposable_Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Anti-Mindvirus

I would hate that! Never to have a relationship with a hard drive? Sheesh!
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Why is this kid calling himself magneto man instead of just plain Magneto? He could also just wear some rubber or some sort of static resistant clothing.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
CSSLZT13

Behold! The next generation of superheroes!

I'm with the A-MV, it must really suck to be anamolous to electric devices. It's made even worse by the fact that, in this day and age, damn near everything requires interaction with such devices. Cell phones, supermarkets, computers, television sets, even digital watches, you just can't go all of your life without some form of interaction with these devices.

I would imagine that this kid would be a target for potential terrorists. Think about it. If he's got this weird ability to crash computers, who can protect this kid from being forced into Wall Street at its most hectic? A frightening thought, indeed.
CSSLZT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
CptSternn

Wow. I wonder if this trait is in other people? I worked at various helpdesks and IT departments for years. It sure would explain how some people habitually banjax their computer all the time with no logical explanation of how they are able to do it...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Dark Clarissa

Poor kid. But I supposed if anyone took the piss out of him, he could just threaten to fuck up their games console! lol!
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSSLZT13
Behold! The next generation of superheroes!

Cell phones, supermarkets, computers, television sets, even digital watches, you just can't go all of your life without some form of interaction with these devices.
Unless you're Amish

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
xCrimsonx

Nice! Awesome with some special powers But it sucks that he cant even be near a computer... :/
xCrimsonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
Delkaetre

So... best hope he never needs to go to hospital, then? If he does this to electronics, then he couldn't get treatment in a hospital- not only would equipment fail for him, but he'd screw up the life-saving equipment that other patients were depending on as well.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
drewsilla

Aha!!! Maybe this explains why I keep messing up DVD players in my house. I won't even touch the one in my son's room anymore b/c when I do, they'll quit. I'm the Typhoid Mary of DVD Players.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
beauismyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
So... best hope he never needs to go to hospital, then? If he does this to electronics, then he couldn't get treatment in a hospital- not only would equipment fail for him, but he'd screw up the life-saving equipment that other patients were depending on as well.
I wonder what happened when he was born? He was more than likely in a hospital then. The magnetic thing probably wasn't strong enough as a baby, though.
beauismyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote