Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #26
Redgauntlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
I'm surprised no-one mentioned the Subspecies series. They're direct-to-video B-movies but possibly the best vampire films I've seen in a long while.

Also, one can never go wrong with Dario Argento.

I saw the first Subspecies. It was okay for the Full Moon Entertainment. Could have been better IMHO. Dario Argento? Definitely. I've yet to nab Mother Of Tears.
Redgauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #27
Redgauntlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
Not so good, but it`s not bad.
Do you mean the first movie? I would classify it as: go-to-sleep boring.
that movie was rather funny.

I need better.
On Blair Witch Project, both the first and the second. I'd classify them as anything but boring. The Ring, funny? I doubt there's anything remotely funny. We're both not seeing things the same way unfortunately. You need better? That makes two of us.
Redgauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #28
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Wow, Let the Right One In looks really really good.
It's not playing anywhere near me, though.
Let the Right One In was wonderful! I was fortunate enough to see it the last night it was in town. I highly recommend it. It was kinda creepy (though the creepy mostly came from the humans, not from the vampire), but had its nice "heartwarming" moments too. There is some gore, though it was almost comical in a way. Or maybe it was the crowd I was with. The only part that was "bad" was a brief scene where a room of cats all attack a vampire and the cats are obviously cgi. Other than that though, excellent story, and pretty original as far as vampire movies I've seen. I also love the bittersweet ending.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #29
Albert Mond

Poor kittehs. =/
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #30
Mealla

More like poor vampire. In that movie, room full of cats > vampire. She survived, but she got owned. The movie went with the idea that animals, cats in particular, are extremely aggressive toward vampires.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #31
Underwater Ophelia

Friday the 13th sucks ass.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #32
Geoluhread

I agree with Ophelia about Friday the 13th.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #33
Beowulf

Cool

I cant believe I forgot to mention Neil Jordans `The Company Of Wolves` a brilliant, and visually stunning film !!!.

Click here to view the trailer ...
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #34
Amy_Twilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie
I rather enjoyed Darkness Falls. The movie itself wasn't the greatest, but after watching it I didn't want to go remotely close to darkness for a while.
This movie scared the shit out of me! Maybe because I was younger, but still, I wouldn't watch it again not even for a million bucks. Hell no.
Amy_Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #35
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
I cant believe I forgot to mention Neil Jordans `The Company Of Wolves` a brilliant, and visually stunning film !!!.

Click here to view the trailer ...
Yes, great flick! I always enjoy Jordan's visual style, even in movies of his that are of lesser quality as a whole. But this is a really good one!
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #36
Duane

The new Friday the 13th, or Friday the 13th in general?
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #37
Albert Mond

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_Twilight
This movie scared the shit out of me! Maybe because I was younger, but still, I wouldn't watch it again not even for a million bucks. Hell no.
If you watch it again, I might let you suck my cock.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #38
Joker_in_the_Pack

Every Friday the thirteenth and Nightmare on elm street I've ever seen sucked on epic levels.

A movie called Quarantine - which I think is a remake of REC,-was really good. It wasn't just a bunch of cheap shocks. It did have those in spades of course, but it did something more. It made an atmosphere. I felt the theatre get cold (maybe they did lower the temperature) and the entire thing left me feeling uneasy, like I didn't want to be in the dark theatre. It was truly great.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #39
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Every Friday the thirteenth and Nightmare on elm street I've ever seen sucked on epic levels.
...Because they were cheesy?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #40
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
A movie called Quarantine - which I think is a remake of REC,-was really good. It wasn't just a bunch of cheap shocks. It did have those in spades of course, but it did something more. It made an atmosphere. I felt the theatre get cold (maybe they did lower the temperature) and the entire thing left me feeling uneasy, like I didn't want to be in the dark theatre. It was truly great.
There's a sequel to REC coming out later this year or next. Do yourself a favour and watch it BEFORE Hollywood does its second rate frame-for-frame remake.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #41
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
What happened to good horror?
It has tragically submerged into a cesspool of flashy effects, shallow dialogs, screaming chicks, good-looking-but-bad-acting protagonists and done-to-death plots.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #42
Schazmyrrh

And, out of curiosity, what is good horror for you?

Personally, 'good horror' would have to open an emotional bond with me and the main characters (villains included). The atmosphere/mood of the film is an important point, too, and should be conducive for my imagination to work- even after the credits have rolled up.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #43
Jack again

It needs to have a half-plausible storyline at least. Also, it needs actors that can actually do their profession properly...
Jack again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #44
Joker_in_the_Pack

OK, THAT IS IT.

STOP MENTIONING FRANKENSTEIN AS A GOOD MOVIE.
STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

YES I mean the Boris Karloff one. It completely and utterly BUTCHERED the novel. IT WAS ABOUT SOCIETY TRYING TO PLAY GOD AND NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE SHITSTORMS THEY UNLEASH, AND ABOUT HOW SOCIETY IS QUICK TO JUDGE WITHOUT BASIS.

The creature Dr. Frankenstein creates is intelligent, he talks, he thinks, he feels abandoned by his maker, rejected by society. Only after he is scorned for his kindness because of his looks time after time does he let all hell break loose and start taking revenge on Dr. Frankenstein.
Dr. Frankenstein is the true monster abandoning him and being a horrible person that the creature sees as a father.

IT IS NOT ABOUT SOME LEVIATHAN DESTROYING TOWNS PEOPLE!

I curse James Whale, Carl Laemmle Jr, Peggy Webling, John L. Balderston. Francis Edward Faragoh, Garrett Fort, and everyone else who had to do with writing that abomination of a movie.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #45
Malice In Wonderland

A "good horror film" should be well done enough that it actually scares people, rather than makes them jump.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 AM   #46
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Quarantine did creep me out a little, but that's largely because it played on two things I happen to fear. Unfortunately, the atmosphere was ruined by the teenagers and gangstas sitting behind me yelling things like "Shoot the bitch!" (eliciting laughter from the audience because the officer did shoot her right afterwards) and "This movie sucks!"

As far as what I classify as "good" horror, I like pretty much anything, but it depends on my mood, and I go in expecting certain things accordingly. True "good horror" is psychological horror like the old Alfred Hitchcock and Vincent Price movies. Good horror should leave lingering fears that last long after the movie is over. If you're afraid of going to bed at night, grab a knife when you hear unusual sounds in your house, avoid birds for weeks, or refuse to take a shower because of a horror movie, then it's good horror.

I enjoy slasher films to though, because there is something satisfying about seeing people who deserve it get sliced, diced, and ground to bits. Though there are exceptions, most of the time it is horrible, terrifying things happening to people who really deserve it.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #47
Vigormortis

Cheezy horror becomes comedy to me, and so I still thoroughly enjoy it. Friday the nightmare on halloween part 11? Yes please. As for movies that actually scared me, In the Mouth of Madness, Event Horizon, The Audition, The Ring, The Exorcist, Open Water, 28 Days Later (laugh all you want, I almost shit myself when the infected come bursting through the windows at his parent's house), Probably more that I can't think of.
Vigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #48
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla View Post
As far as what I classify as "good" horror, I like pretty much anything, but it depends on my mood, and I go in expecting certain things accordingly. True "good horror" is psychological horror like the old Alfred Hitchcock and Vincent Price movies. Good horror should leave lingering fears that last long after the movie is over.
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla View Post
If you're afraid of going to bed at night, grab a knife when you hear unusual sounds in your house, avoid birds for weeks, or refuse to take a shower because of a horror movie, then it's good horror.
Which reminds me... I think it was after watching the movie A Tale of Two Sisters that I was afraid of going near a sink because I would imagine bloodied hands grabbing me by my legs.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #49
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schazmyrrh View Post
And, out of curiosity, what is good horror for you?

Personally, 'good horror' would have to open an emotional bond with me and the main characters (villains included). The atmosphere/mood of the film is an important point, too, and should be conducive for my imagination to work- even after the credits have rolled up.
One with a good build up and pacing, rec was great at this, it creeped me out at first but towards the end when the shit really hit the fan, I was more scared because of that. I'm having a little difficulty thinking of other movies that did this, The Shining I thought was pretty good at it too, I know there's more recent ones but I'm also thinking about the original Carnival Of Souls (not the one with the clown). Its an old black and white film, so no gore or anything, its just about this woman who survives a car wreck then is followed by this man who appears out of no where. I'm not sure what it was about it but seeing him just standing there and staring creeped the fuck out of me.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #50
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
but I'm also thinking about the original Carnival Of Souls (not the one with the clown). Its an old black and white film, so no gore or anything, its just about this woman who survives a car wreck then is followed by this man who appears out of no where. I'm not sure what it was about it but seeing him just standing there and staring creeped the fuck out of me.
Old, black and white... and carnivals... I suddenly want to watch this.