Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Underwater Ophelia

Topfree.

This is the idea that women should be allowed to be topfree in the same places men are, such as beaches, pools, and parks.

I'm all for it, what do you all think?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
honeythorn

Well I wouldn't have a problem with it. Although there would naturally be a great deal of ogling going on I'm sure I don't know why there's such a stigma about topless women. I mean, why is it okay to be topless on a beach but not anywhere else? I remember there was a whole thing on the news last year about women breastfeeding in public, and how people were offended by it . Why? It's just a tit , and you can't see much of that anyway since there is a baby atattched to it.

I wouldn't go topless myself, but I wouldn't be offended by it at all if someone else chose to.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Well I wouldn't have a problem with it. Although there would naturally be a great deal of ogling going on I'm sure I don't know why there's such a stigma about topless women. I mean, why is it okay to be topless on a beach but not anywhere else? I remember there was a whole thing on the news last year about women breastfeeding in public, and how people were offended by it . Why? It's just a tit , and you can't see much of that anyway since there is a baby atattched to it.

I wouldn't go topless myself, but I wouldn't be offended by it at all if someone else chose to.
You're from Europe, right?

Here, in the US, women can't be topless anywhere but special beaches.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Lapin

(Shrugs) I personally think people should be allowed to walk around naked if they want. I wouldn't, but I've got no issues with the naked body.

Then again, you'd get the arseholes who'd abuse it...

But women going topless where men can shouldn't be an issue. Some people don't like tan lines.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
JCC

YES.

MAKE IT LEGAL.

THIS WOULD BE FABULOUS.

For the civil rights of the aforementioned females, obviously. OBVIOUSLY that is my only interest.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
korinna5555

I say make it legal. I hate the double standards that American society imposes upon women. Yes, womens breasts can be seen as sexual, but so can mens.. It's sexist, ridiculous..... argh! *rants*

As for breastfeeding in public, not allowing it is RIDICULOUS. It's no different from popping a bottle in the child's mouth.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
ApothoKeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
This is the idea that women should be allowed to be topfree in the same places men are, such as beaches, pools, and parks.

I'm all for it, what do you all think?

*shrug*

Most everyone is topless at the beach and most pools, etc. in most of Europe. I don't really see why we should have to wear a top while men don't here. I personally don't expose large parts of my body to the sun anyway but if others want to, they should be able to.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
maggot

The only reason I can think of is that all the menfolk would end up staring, and then they would lose their wives/girlfriends.
AND THAT WOULD SUCK.

And do you know why men would stare? Because breasts are genitalia, and thus "private parts," and that is why they must be covered. It's societal and nothing more.
Once people become desensitized to them, you can walk around topless.

Also, the government is mainly men. Men with stupid, yet attractive 20-year-old wives. These men don't want their wives walking around topless for everyone to see. :B

Alternately, we can make it legal to have sex in public.

I wish women would walk around topless, though. That would be awesome.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
You're from Europe, right?

Here, in the US, women can't be topless anywhere but special beaches.
Really? I honestly didn't know that! Wow. I did see one woman topless in an park one very hot summer, but she was lying on her front so I don't think anyone was that bothered. Either that or no one noticed at all.I have a friend who gets her baps out the second she gets on a bloody beach! The last time I went on holiday abroad I went to the beach head to foot in black cotton! I don't get my bajengas out for no one! But she doesn't give a toss so fair play to her
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
So where does it end? Let's say we have this new topless society with breasts bouncing around left and right...just a minute...I'm thinking...be right with you...yes, let's picture this brave new world...uh huh...

where was I? Oh yeah, and so the next question will be: how young can girls be before they start going around topless? 18? 21? younger? Older? Are young girls going to try and "act older" by whipping out their nubile boobs at 17? 16?

As a father I would NOT want my 16 or 17 year old daughter going around topless.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #11
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
So where does it end? Let's say we have this new topless society with breasts bouncing around left and right...just a minute...I'm thinking...be right with you...yes, let's picture this brave new world...uh huh...

where was I? Oh yeah, and so the next question will be: how young can girls be before they start going around topless? 18? 21? younger? Older? Are young girls going to try and "act older" by whipping out their nubile boobs at 17? 16?

As a father I would NOT want my 16 or 17 year old daughter going around topless.
I don't understand it, though.
Why does it have to be an issue at all?

I think people need to get over their hang-ups with their bodies.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
ApothoKeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
The only reason I can think of is that all the menfolk would end up staring, and then they would lose their wives/girlfriends.
AND THAT WOULD SUCK.

And do you know why men would stare? Because breasts are genitalia, and thus "private parts," and that is why they must be covered. It's societal and nothing more.
Once people become desensitized to them, you can walk around topless.

Also, the government is mainly men. Men with stupid, yet attractive 20-year-old wives. These men don't want their wives walking around topless for everyone to see. :B

Alternately, we can make it legal to have sex in public.

I wish women would walk around topless, though. That would be awesome.

Is this an attempt at satire?
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
Duane

I have nothing against woman wearing less clothes... yet, I sense many people being charged with sexual harassment if woman are allowed to go topless. We also have all those pre-teen girls, and 51-17 year old girls dressing up like Paris Hilton, and other excellent role models... meh, do we really need them roaming around topless? I know it won't be every single place , but still it's too much to let woman go top free.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
Breathless Horror

I'm all for it. Hell, here in Canada (Ontario at least) It's already legal for women to be topless at all times except for the standard "no shirts, no shoes etc.." places. If a women wanted to promenade down the street downtown with no shirt, she's well within her rights here.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
Lolly PopMuzik

Shouldn't this be in politics? Because with all of this sociological talk and debate, I think that's a better spot.

As for the idea, I'd much rather give it a thought before screaming yes or no without reasonable justification. Plus I'm really self conscious so this is a tricky one.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

The interesting thing about this is that the problem most of you seem to have with it is that men would be gawking.

Maybe the MEN NEED TO CONTROL THEMSELVES.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #17
korinna5555

I agree....
Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Duane

Despite being a man myself, I agree with Ophelia. Most of us men would stare at the topless woman, hell, even the more decent of us would sneak a peek every now and again. I don't think this should be legalized, it's only going to cause more problems.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #19
AngelikDemonik

I don't see why not. I've seen men with bigger boobs than mine walking around without a shirt.

They're just fucking tits.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Despite being a man myself, I agree with Ophelia. Most of us men would stare at the topless woman, hell, even the more decent of us would sneak a peek every now and again. I don't think this should be legalized, it's only going to cause more problems.
It wouldn't cause problems if people could grow up and/or control themselves.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

It's weird. I see 'why not' and 'why' at the same time.
Why not? Is exposing one's breasts a sin?
Why? Do women feel restrained by not being able to be topless?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #22
Duane

I know, but some people won't ever grow up, or learn to control themselves... though, it'd be better if they did.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
It's weird. I see 'why not' and 'why' at the same time.
Why not? Is exposing one's breasts a sin?
Why? Do women feel restrained by not being able to be topless?
It's so not much feeling restrained as feeling like it's unfair because men can walk around with their tops off.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #24
kimaru

I guess it would be okay...maybe...I do hate when I go to the pool and there are old ugly naked ladies in the change room talking about their grandchildren...I wouldn't want to see that everywhere I went...
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

Duane: The freedom of choosing whether to subject oneself to the arbitrary Victorian values of modesty has nothing to do with maturity.

Ophelia: There is a theory that males began to build a male-centered society out of jealousy because women are capable of procreating. They are in direct contact to life itself. Looking for equality on the rags that we can use to cover our bodies is at best a shallow excuse for gender equality.

If we're going to talk about clothing, we should talk about the lack of necessity for them. Freeing women out of the societal need for covering her breasts is just a negotiation of a bigger problem. Clothes are either necessary or they aren't. If a man can walk topless, a woman should be able to, and a man should be able to walk pantless, and a woman should be able to walk nude, and someone else is wearing nothing but a hat. If a person's body is found to be repugnant, it should be because of the body itself, not what other people perceive of it.
Fighting solely for the liberty to be topless is too superfluous for my taste. That's the part of the feminist ethos I don't like: 'we fight to be able to do everything men are allowed to do, regardless of the morality of the acts'. As George Carlin said in a video I recently posted, why is it that feminists think the best out of women ends up being the worst in men?
I am wholly in favor of getting rid of such a bullshit concept as public indecency, but it's stupid to only change the concept so that a specific action stops being considered part of it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote