Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #51
Circle V

I just ordered a few CDs from Barnes and Noble, using gift cards I got for Christmas:

Bone Machine by Tom Waits-- I've always thought that Mr. Waits' music was Goth-friendly. The sound isn't Gothic, but the lyrics are spectacularly dark and real.

Out of Exile by Audioslave-- I happen to like Audioslave and Soundgarden very much. I don't much care that they happen to be popular. Their lyrics are great, as is the music itself.

The Greater Wrong of the Right by Skinny Puppy-- I don't want to lose Goth points, so here's an industrial album.

I also bought a Nietzche reader and a Stephen King novel, if you care.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #52
Needled

Out of Exile is a really great album. Although Audioslave are popular, it's not like they have that crappy marketed sound it seems every new band is coming out with. I think their originality is why they are so popular. They're sound doesn't remind me of anything... heh, uh.. nevermind.
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 AM   #53
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needled
Although Audioslave are popular, it's not like they have that crappy marketed sound it seems every new band is coming out with. I think their originality is why they are so popular. They're sound doesn't remind me of anything...
Nothing personal Needled, but uh... Yes, they DO have that crappy, "marketed" sound typical to mid-paced, radio-friendly, "post-grunge" rock. And I think it is their utter SAMENESS and reliance on dated, predictable and cliché-ridden means of expression that makes them popular. Their sound reminds me of dead musical hypes, stale pizza crust and earnest men with pained expressions singing banal, quasi-spiritual love songs with cringeworthy sixth-grade lyrics.

Although, Chris Cornell is admittedly a technically good singer, and I DID used to like Soungarden. But that was the '90's, and please don't come dragging that dead, grungy horse into the new millennium, Audioslave.

Oh, and on topic, the last album I bought was My Morning Jacket - "Z". Also, Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase, but that was a gift.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #54
Beowulf

The last album I got was,

Mercyful Fate `Melissa` (special edition)

I think King Diamonds unique style of vocals have always added a haunting dimension to the sound of Mercyful Fate (and his solo albums, particuarly `Abigail` and `Them`).

I give this album 9/10 ,if you like your music heavy combined with dark haunting melodies, and operatic vocals,this is for you .

My favourite songs on it are `Black Funeral`, `Curse of the Pharoahs` and `Melissa`.

Mercyful Fate were very ahead of their time when this album was released, and were an important influence on bands that we love today, including Metallica and Slayer.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #55
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
Nothing personal Needled, but uh... Yes, they DO have that crappy, "marketed" sound typical to mid-paced, radio-friendly, "post-grunge" rock. And I think it is their utter SAMENESS and reliance on dated, predictable and cliché-ridden means of expression that makes them popular. Their sound reminds me of dead musical hypes, stale pizza crust and earnest men with pained expressions singing banal, quasi-spiritual love songs with cringeworthy sixth-grade lyrics.
How much of Audioslave's music have you actually heard? I agree that some of their songs (notably the MTV-friendly "Be Yourself") do sound quite commercial, but I maintain that they are different from the rest of the "post-grunge" bands in talent and creativity. Their lyrics are generally very good, with the exception of the same "power-ballad" song that I mentioned earlier. I liked them long before I moved back into the US, and therefore my judgement wasn't affected by their popularity. Their better songs are the ones that you *don't* see on MTV or hear on the radio-- if you haven't already, please listen to one of their actual albums.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #56
Jane13

I'm about to buy "Prescription:Medicine" by Grendel and "Dismantled" (self titled)... I might also get something by Sopor Aeturnis or Cinema Strange. w007 for Christmass money.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #57
Metatron

Boys From Pele - Tori Amos
From The Choirgirl Hotel - Tori Amos
1979 - 1983 Volume II - Bauhaus
Soviet Kitsch - Regina Spektor
Old 01-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #58
PhilSmith

Gary Numan's album Telekon. Easily as listenable as Replicas or The Pleasure Principle.
PhilSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #59
Sierpeman

The Cure - Show
Sierpeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #60
Noire

Siouxsie and the banshees - Downside Up
Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #61
Sanctus Dei

Read the fucking rules Sierpeman and Noire... go introduce yourselves or face flaming hell. Have some damn respect.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:48 AM   #62
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
How much of Audioslave's music have you actually heard? I agree that some of their songs (notably the MTV-friendly "Be Yourself") do sound quite commercial, but I maintain that they are different from the rest of the "post-grunge" bands in talent and creativity. Their lyrics are generally very good, with the exception of the same "power-ballad" song that I mentioned earlier. I liked them long before I moved back into the US, and therefore my judgement wasn't affected by their popularity. Their better songs are the ones that you *don't* see on MTV or hear on the radio-- if you haven't already, please listen to one of their actual albums.
I have heard more than enough of Audioslave. Their first album ad nauseam, due to a former flatmate who was a fan. Their second album I got on my iTunes (from a friend's iPod, mind you) and have listened to a little bit. All I can say is it does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe if I was way younger and hadn't been exposed to genuinely exciting, sonically adventurous and relevant rock, I would have liked them. But compared to the thousands of good independent bands that don't get massive airplay -- due to a "challenging" sound, unconventional song-structures, confrontational/political lyrics and an unwillingness to compromise artistically -- Audioslave are just boring. I don't actively hate them, or the people who listen to them, I simply don't see what the fuss is about at all. And I maintain that their lyrics are irksome and generic. Poetic in places, sure, but too reliant on conventional verse-chorus-verse form, and lazy rhymes. That always bugs me.

Bottom line: I don't understand why so many people choose to listen to generic, clichéd commercial rock, when there are so many bands out there actually doing interesting things with words and guitars. It's all exposure, I guess. To find exciting and unique music, you actually have to make an effort, and just stop accepting what's fed to you by radio and TV, which is 99% crap you don't need in your life anyway. Not talking specifically to you now, Circle V. Just saying, in general, that's the way it works.

Ok, enough said. I didn't want to engage in a whole discussion about the boringness of Audislave, but you seem like a reasonable man who deserved a reply.

On topic, last two albums I bought:

Bucket Full of Teeth - IV

Amazing, schizophrenic grind/metal band, who unleash some absolutely crushing riffs, interspersed with filthy, throbbing ambience and distant clouds of synth. Songs that shift from ominous picked guitar, almost pretty in parts, to full-on screaming, chaotic fury. So good. On the fantastic label Level Plane.

Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Requires, Circvmspice

Totally evil cult black metal, from France of all places. Huge, blackened walls of buzzing guitars, rasping, cavernous demon-vocals, some truly fucked-up satanic chanting and other tortured sounds, all makes for some great (horrible) atmosphere. Really cool actually, if you're able to enjoy that sort of thing without taking it too seriously and end up killing yourself or someone else. Like I said, this is some evil shit.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #63
angel_dark_demon_bright

Me? Purchaseing a CD? Such a thing is not done! For each cd owned by me is burnt, borrowed, loaned, stolen, found and/or copied.

Though i did actually buy a cd, this one time...

...believe it to be the Art of Drowning by AFI. It was the one time i had money.
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #64
OnixxFilth

Everbody Hates You by Combichrist
Old 01-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #65
JuliaGaltic

SITD - Coded Message 12
Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #66
Darkdruid

Earthride/Vampire Circus
Darkdruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #67
Corvina

Talking

Rammstein- Rosenrot. I love it muchly.
Corvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #68
luciferini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
The last album I bought was Quiet Riot - British Steel.
I'm sure you are sure....but "are you sure?"

I was a butt head in the 80s, I dont recall a Quiet Riot album caleld that. Judas Priest on the other hand...."British Steel" had breakin' the law on it. \m/>.<\m/

My last albums purchased....probably these 3
Wolfsheim - Dreaming Apes
Wolfsheim - Spectators
Wolfsheim - Casting Shadows

I'm not a fan, but got a good deal on them and thought I'd like em. They are ok.
luciferini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #69
OnixxFilth

Scarling- So Long, Scarecrow
Old 01-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #70
Inky

1349 - "Hellfire"
My favourite black metal band. So, so evil!

The Axis of Perdition - "Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital"
Atmospheric black metal. It's wonderfully creepy; it could even be called cinematic. Listening to this is like listening to the noises inside an insane man's head. I love it.
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #71
UltraNEO*

Ayu - My Story

"Listen when your hurting someone, don't think of the pain he feels, only concentrate on the pleasure of causing him pain. That's the only way to show true compassion for your partner." - taken from Korosiya Ichi
UltraNEO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #72
Underwater Ophelia

The best of David Bowie and Rasputina's "How We Quit the Forest."
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #73
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
1. Depeche Mode - The Singles: '81-'85, and '86-'98
2. Love And Rockets - Sorted!: The Best of Love and Rockets
3. Black Dahlia - (Self Titled) (They're a local rock group here in Missouri. The website is WWW.BLACKDAHLIAMUSIC.COM)
4. Bauhaus - In The Flat Field
5. Le Tigre - This Island (and Remix)
6. Voltaire - The Devil's Bris
7. Projekt Presents: A Dark Cabaret
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #74
WolfMoon

Surgeon, Black Dahlia sounds familiar. (As a band, wankers.)

Pit!!! What an odd coincidance! I developed pictures for a customer recently who went to a show by My Morning Jacket. I'm not a fan, just thought that was interesting.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #75
Beowulf

Judas Priest `Unleashed in the east`

This live album kicks ass, the highlight of this album being `Victim of changes` I just love that song.

I also bought `Screaming for Vengeance` as well.

Looking forwards to buying the new `Fields of the Nephilim` album ( I can`t wait... Fields of the Nephilim are one of my favourite bands).
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote