Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #26
Scythan

I will quote from the NMHA Website (www.nmha.org)

Biological – People with depression typically have too little or too much of certain brain chemicals, called “neurotransmitters.” Changes in these brain chemicals may cause or contribute to clinical depression.
Cognitive – People with negative thinking patterns and low self-esteem are more likely to develop clinical depression.
Gender – Women experience clinical depression at a rate that is nearly twice that of men.3 While the reasons for this are still unclear, they may include the hormonal changes women go through during menstruation, pregnancy, childbirth and menopause. Other reasons may include the stress caused by the multiple responsibilities that women have.
Co-occurrence – Clinical depression is more likely to occur along with certain illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and hormonal disorders.
Medications – Side effects of some medications can bring about depression.
Genetic – A family history of clinical depression increases the risk for developing the illness.
Situational – Difficult life events, including divorce, financial problems or the death of a loved one can contribute to clinical depression.

Other factors may contribute to the incidence of clinical depression, but the typical depressed patient has an imbalance in brain chemicals. Many people are either born with this imbalance and have it for the rest of their life, or have it temporarily during a time when their body is changing and their chemistry reflects this. By correcting this imbalance, the patient is able to act and think normally. It is not a simple problem, but it can be alleviated. If the person has a hormonal imbalance as the cause of depression, then I'd expect that there are drugs out there to correct that as well (assuming that it does not become regulated as a side-effect of the neurotransmitters being balanced).

As I had said, many people who take antidepressants take them with the understanding that their depression will most likely lift by itself, allowing them to discontinue treatment with no ill effects.
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #27
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder
those drugs don't fix anything. all they do is flatline you, so that you think and feel nothing. no emotions good or bad affect you. you go through the motions of existence, not living. there is a huge difference. you wake and sleep, eat and breathe.
That’s what depression does to me. It flatlines me. I am empty. Something wonderful can happen, but I feel nothing. I want to feel happy, I wait for the emotion to come… but it never does. For me, an antidepressant was the key which allowed me the capacity to feel.

I spent the first 22 years of my life existing. I saw the world from a distance with the glazed eyes of a zombie. I did no living until after I began treatment for depression. At that point, even my dreams radically changed.

Eight years later, I am still learning how to handle emotions. Having feelings scares me, but I welcome the fear because it’s something I can feel.

I will NEVER embrace my depression. It’s a life-sucking vampire that drains my essence and turns me into a frozen, hollow shell. (Ever seen “The Dark Crystal”?) It stole 22 years of my life. It is my worst enemy, and I will continue to fight until I have strangled and stomped it into submission.

The most useless advice I’ve ever received was “channel it into something creative.” Channel what? The emptiness? There’s nothing there to channel – that’s the whole point.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #28
emo

Location: i live in my closet, the only place that keeps the sun out of my eyes.
i scimed what ur guys/gals were saying and i am going thro the same as gothicblackrose, depression to me is common, for me to want to die is common, try-in to die is simple cause i now how to kill my self anytime, but me gettin over it is to hard, what started is something i dont even know, my family has no record of being like me, i carved help me in to my right leg but no one has seen it but still, the best advise i can anyone that going thro what i am is to sleep, there ur eyes can open into what you want, no one can help me. seeking help may seem easy but it will take alot out of someone like me *so sleep till ur eyes open into what you want to see*
emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM   #29
rockandrose

emo, you make no sense!

Depression is not like a toy!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM   #30
Teardrop

You can understand that mess? :shock:

Emo: From what I gather, your magic cure for depression is sleep. Idiot.
Teardrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #31
angleangel_doom

Get

A

therapist.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #32
Midnight_Terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the eyes of sorrow
wow ok today sucked fuckin douche! i don't care if anyone reads this or posts to it i don't give a fuck but i want/need to rant.
ok i'm a cutter. and last night i cut my leg. i sliced and carved "death" into it several times.
my gym teacher found out today. went to my fuckin counsler. so last period i go down to her office and deal with her for a fucking hour. crying my eyes out because she was gunna call my parents. she tried counceling me through it but son of a bitch! she didn't udnerstand!!! she tried comforting me blahblahblah.
fuck it
so she calls my parents. my dad acts like he ain't mad. she didn't get ahold of my mom. my dad comes picks me up takes me home then we stat talking bout it. my mom gets home bout an hour later takes me into the back bedroom orders me to strip down so she can check my wounds then gets all sad and teary eyed because "her baby is in pain"
i know my parents love me and care but why won't people just leave me the fuck alone?!!?!?!?!?! i just wnat to be left alone esp. by my parents!

anyway yah thanks i don't care if anyone replys or whatever i just needed tos ay it.
This is so similar yet you're nice to one and abuse the other...I find that quite funny, will someone tell me what the differnce is? Also for the help thing, buy a cat, nothing is more theraputic then a cat.
Midnight_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #33
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
Yay, another attention whore! *claps*
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #34
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
What's "scimed"?
scimed = pathetic excuse for "skimmed"

Troll.
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:00 PM   #35
Disfunction

As for the people who say that medication doesn't help with depression, why don't you just shut up, for the time being? There is chemistry to the brain which the medication affects and improves. The key isn't to cure the depression via medication, rather than the treat the symptoms. It gives you back energy that you didn't have before and many other things.

Honestly, how paranoid do you have to be to think that doctors and psychologists are out to get you? Not even I'm that paranoid, and I'm the kind of person that doesn't trust most of my own friends with even the least expensive of my possessions. Personally, I did not like being on anti-depressants and did not remain on them very long, but I have multiple friends who have been on them and benefited. Disregard the credibility of psychiatry if you'd like, but if you're going to bring it here, make sure you can back up your claims with evidence, not speculation.
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:15 PM   #36
edible_eye

prop-ah!

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/pic...09283kyf5r.jpg
Old 11-19-2005, 03:17 PM   #37
ghostposts

God, people, what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Just because meds don't help one patient doesn't make them an invalid approach. That's just common sense.

It depends on a number of variables. Body and specifically brain chemistry, culture, personality, life situation, ect.

There are behavioral psychologists that work to teach their patients coping mechanisms and try to get them off the meds. There are psychologists who seek to find the root cause of the depression. Not all therapies are the same.

There are different types of depression, and exacerbating circumstances that call for a variety of treatments. My husband had depression complicated by bipolar disease and post traumatic stress disorder, with attendant social anxiety disorder.

It isn't like one size fits all. There are too many variables to say one method works or does not work. Just share your experiences, and if they strike a cord with another poster, he or she may be able to get an idea on how to handle their condition.
ghostposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #38
Teardrop

Anti-depressants aren't miracle drugs. They're not going to drag you out of bed and get you through the day. I think most people expect too much from them. For me they were a convienient excuse for not being strong enough to get through it until I recieved a swift kick up the arse. No anti-depressant is going to work without a big amount of willpower to back it up.
Teardrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #39
lizzy

shit happens. i hope u feel better and i'm sry there is nothing furher i can do but give advice. my aunt commited suicidee last week and trust me, u will regret it. thankfully, she lived.
lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #40
angleangel_doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy
shit happens. i hope u feel better and i'm sry there is nothing furher i can do but give advice. my aunt commited suicidee last week and trust me, u will regret it. thankfully, she lived.
Wow. You just confirmed all KINDS of stereotypes about Tennessee for me...thank you.
You just saved me gas, perchance I ever want to really find out by going to Tennessee.
But now...eh, not so much.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #41
joyslayer

Blackrose, Life really is Hell. Every thing you ever lived for will be taking away from you. You either suck it up, or kill yourself. Simple as that. Either way, you will die in the end. Every one lives to die.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
joyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #42
ghostposts

Not me. I live to party.

Way to boil a complicated subject down into a line of nihilistic crap. This is not only unoriginal, it doesn't even begin to adress the subject.
ghostposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #43
joyslayer

hey, ghostpost, i luv Full Metal Alchemist. *points to avatar* An further more, when you open your mind, things start to make more sense, and not everything is as complexed.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 PM   #44
AlKilyu

joyslayer how busy and important and rushed is your life that you can't go two words without abbriviating or using some capitalization? You even do that in your signature...what's your deal?
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:37 PM   #45
joyslayer

you know what? I have no clue. I've actually never thought about it. i think i have an inner fear of running out of time though. that mighy explain it. another reason, is because i type really fast, like over 116 words per minute, that might be the problem too. But if it annoys you that much, i can try to slow down my typing.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 11-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #46
joyslayer

I would "just do", But then when I dont explain, I get told to explain. I just can't win!

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 11-27-2005, 05:52 PM   #47
joyslayer

hehehehe, I've already noticed that

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 11-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #48
joyslayer

well said, *takes hand*

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #49
ExistentialDisorder

lol. i forgot about this thread.

but as for drugs and head shrinks, i'll just loosely quote from Chris Rock: There's no money in the cure. The money's in the come-back.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #50
joyslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
joyslayer how busy and important and rushed is your life that you can't go two words without abbriviating or using some capitalization? You even do that in your signature...what's your deal?
I've fixed that problem.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil