Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 11-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #26
DarkHeartedDemoness

Any fellow vegetarians/vegans out there, what brands of mock meat are your favorites? I could use some pointers.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #27
Delkaetre

But if you gave up meat, why have pretend meat? Surely you should make a clean cut, give it up entirely instead of eating fake meat. I suppose you might still like the flavour and thus want to eat the fake-meat for the taste, but I've yet to encounter a convincing fake red-meat. And I went out with a strict vegetarian for almost two years, so I got used to the food that he, his dad, and his mum ate- lots of experience with fake meat.
I've never understood the whole fake-foods idea, I'm afraid. They just don't taste right or have the right texture (does America have good fake-foods? I only know European)
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #28
DarkHeartedDemoness

The reason I would be willing to eat some fake meats is because I'm afraid of a protein deficiency.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #29
Crying_Crimson_Tears

American fake-meats are okay. I don't really like to eat them. I have yet to really find a fake-meat I like. But there's still much to explore. I hope to become full vegetarian one day. I know this may be a dumb question, but can you be a full on vegetarian and still eat eggs???

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #30
DarkHeartedDemoness

Yep. Milk, eggs, and cheese are animal products, not meat. Vegans don't eat any of those. I guess eggs are kind of a fine line, but since they're unfertilized, they're not actually an animal.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #31
we_are_138

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Yep. Milk, eggs, and cheese are animal products, not meat. Vegans don't eat any of those. I guess eggs are kind of a fine line, but since they're unfertilized, they're not actually an animal.
exactly. i'm still staying vegan for the moment, because i don't think i could bring myself to eat eggs on even a semi regular basis. the difference in "eggs" is how the actual hens were treated. Does this make sense? Like, the treatment of chickens in factory farming conditions is absolutely atrocious. They basically become little beakless egg laying machines. So it's not that they necessarily come from an animal that bothers me, but the process. However, for those who still have family farms and let their chickens run around eating more natural food and not ingesting hormones, who happen to squat and lay an unfertilized egg, I'm finding difficulty arguing with the morals of that. anyone have any opposing ideas on that?
we_are_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #32
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I look for the boxes of eggs that say organic. Or check to see if they came from a farm around my state. I am not opposed to eating eggs from farms at all. My state is big on farming. At least for the moment. But with the government screwing with everything, farms are disappearing. I'm a vegetarian, not vegan though. I could never give up dairy products and eggs.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 11-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #33
Gaia

Well, I have just made the jump from happy carnivore to vegetarian recently. Its a long and sad story involving a redneck and a deer, but I won't get into it. Anyways, now I am eating only occasional bits of chicken and fish, no red meat or pork (I never liked pork, too salty and greasy for me). Gives me an excuse to eat tofu again. I love tofu and soy milk and jalapeno soy cheese.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #34
PersephoneX

Soy milk is wicked cool! it comes in sp many flavours!!!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #35
Gaia

Chocolate silk is good. I don't know if I'll ever be vegan, but I'm gonna do what I can right now. I'm boycotting KFC (not that I ate there often anyway), got out of my cooking class because they cook a ton of meat (and the teacher's a bitch but I prefer to go for the slightly more noble reason), and eating more veggie burgers than I think I ever had before.

Is anyone here a part of Peta? I just watched their "Meet your Meat" video, and I started crying and almost threw up, especially at the part with the cows and pigs. We only have small farms around here, and they have gigantic fields in which to run around and eat grass and stuff. I didn't know factory farms were so abusive. All the animals around here, except for the chicken farms, are so humane and get to live their lives before being slaughtered by local butchers, not by factories. It's fairly humane when you buy locally.
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #36
PersephoneX

i know PETA! i get their newsletter and everything, but they dont do too much work down this side of the world...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #37
DarkHeartedDemoness

I'm so excited, my mom's making mushroom gravy for Thanksgiving, and my dad's going to be making me a veggie burger that they're trying in his restaurant right now!
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #38
Tumor

I'm not exactly vegetarian, but I don't eat meat much at all.

One thing I never got about (some) vegetarians, though, was when they say something like, "Well, I don't east meat, so I'll have the tuna." They don't eat meat because "meat is murder," but fish is okay? Since when are fish not animals? That's always confused me, can someone clarify?
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #39
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumor

One thing I never got about (some) vegetarians, though, was when they say something like, "Well, I don't east meat, so I'll have the tuna." They don't eat meat because "meat is murder," but fish is okay? Since when are fish not animals? That's always confused me, can someone clarify?

If you want to get technical, corn is a living thing as well. It just doesn't run as fast as most meat does.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #40
Tumor

Well, yeah, but corn doesn't have a heart... or bones... or veins... or eyes... or a brain... like fish.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #41
Tumor

And what's wrong with milk and eggs? (I know that some vegetarians/vegans won't have anything to do with milk or eggs.) I can understand complaints such as "The cows and chickens are treated with hormones that make them produce more milk and eggs than they would produce otherwise, which is like toture for them." But what about milk and eggs that come from small local farms that don't treat their animals with hormones?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 AM   #42
CptSternn

What I find amusing is when people hand me peta flyers claiming meat is murder they usually do so wearing leather shoes or carrying a leather purse.

If you choose not to eat something because of healthy or taste reasons I say go for it. All veg diet? Why not. Adkins? Sure. But don't tell me its to save the lives of animals while you wear the animals skin, sit in a car with animal skin seats, and eat vegetables from 'organic' famrs where animals were used to sow/harvest them as work tools.

Just seems wrong.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #43
Tumor

Maybe they were wearing pleather? Oh course, I don't see how that works, either. "I don't want to wear something that's been torn from the flesh of an animal, but I like the look, so I'll wear something that only looks like it's been torn from the flesh of an animal."

Huh?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #44
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I don't wear clothing that was made from animals. The idea of it makes me shudder. Pleather for me thank you. I eat a mostly veggie diet because it's healthy for me.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 11-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #45
Cicero

CptSternn - As insightful as your comments are in this thread, I think it'd be really great if you'd just leave this whole issue alone. That thing about people in PETA wearing leather is complete bullshit - it's a part of veganism not to wear leather, and those who do wouldn't call themselves vegan.

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but they're lifestyles that I have a lot of respect for. The reason I'm not vegetarian is just because where I live there aren't many healthy protein alternatives, and I don't like the idea of supplements. I could never be vegan just because cow's milk is such a huge part of my diet - but only milk that (supposedly) comes from 'happy cows'. I also only ever buy free range eggs.

I'll gladly give up meat one day though. I've already given up seafood because of how awfully overfishing affects our oceans. When it comes to fish I'm actually rather fierce in my reasons not for eating them - and I kind of resent when people call themselves full vegetarian while scoffing down a tuna sandwich (possibly laced with dolphin).

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #46
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Maybe they were wearing pleather? Oh course, I don't see how that works, either. "I don't want to wear something that's been torn from the flesh of an animal, but I like the look, so I'll wear something that only looks like it's been torn from the flesh of an animal."

Huh?
Sometimes substitution is necessary. Perhaps one doesn't like the look, but knows that the best way to get something durable and inexpensive is to buy faux leather. It's the same with the fake-meat thing: You can disagree with the concept of eating meat, but still need protein.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #47
Tumor

I can understand in cases like if someone's working a job like construction, and they need protection for their hands and feet, but I meant more along the lines of style.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:20 AM   #48
DarkHeartedDemoness

Leather shoes (or faux leather shoes) have been proven to be, traditionally, the most durable and pliable. Even vegans and vegetarians need shoes that will last, even if they're fashion shoes that will last.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #49
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarian

It's not vegetarianism... It's Pescatarianism.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #50
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I guess then you could call me a pescatarian.

-Zach Galifianakis