Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
4mytribe

Canada tries to kill Aminal rights people

Canadian government tries to ram the rafts of Animal rights people that are just trying to document the slaughter of Baby seals. I really thought Canada was a liberal heaven and this one has puzzled me and everyone I've told about it.

On one site they say they will slaughter 300,000 baby seals. Cant seem to confirm that anywhere but raises alot of questions like WTF? Dont we have synthetic stuff by now? Are there really that many in Canada alone? Is this healthy seems really sad and pointless like somebody should come up with an alternative.

http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/p...journal_2.html
4mytribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
4mytribe

More up to date info on this site. I cant fathom this story. I mean if they are over populated and are hurting other marine populations then maybe but just seems like there should be a better way and the numbers are to high. Is this real?

http://www.boycott-canada.com/
Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
WolfMoon

Baby seals is good eatin'!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Magpie_Tendencies

"Good eatin'" on some rye bread with some mayonnaise.

Damn. Now I'm hungry. Where are the baby seals when you need 'em?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Here's one

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #6
4mytribe

Ok I know many hate me but surely you jest. I mean I am very agaisnt animal rights organizations but I love animals and this story just is wrong to me. It just seems like there should be something different that can be done. The thought of 300,000 baby seals slaughtered in a painfull way seems pointless. I could totally be wrong and maybe this is needed but it just seems to me that there is another answer. Clearly if a government is willing to off some people documenting whats going on then there is surely a problem. I am very curious how people on this board would seem to be ok with this. To me this is sick and if at all possible unless it is not in the best interest of the planet should be stopded or staged down.

At the very least even if this is a good thing and over 300,000 baby seals need to be killed I would prefer that it be done in the best way possible and that they suffer the leaset possible.

Hate me all you want but what on Gods green earth did a freakin seal do. Theay have never supported me so they are clear.

Its ok to support them for they dont care about me.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:29 AM   #7
4mytribe

man I love animals I cant believe some of you would be cool with this just cuz Im not it show closed mindedness. There are no morals here just the program. So WolfMoon just close it like normal.

I am really at a loss that you would give up .... I dont know ..... not even the animals if they are being ....

I dont know how to say it I guess if someone you dont agree with takes up anything no matter what you will rip it down no matter because you beleive in what you do and there will be no comprimise. This is why I have learned so much but know its time to move on.

round and round some learning and bending and apoligizing on my part and that was good for me but it does nothing for anyone.

Everyone is locked in the loop of their programming and only a profound shift in their reality will change that.

In the end one has to say

What ever
Old 05-29-2006, 03:12 AM   #8
Virulent Dryad

Darling, if you love animals so much at least bother to spell it correctly in the title.

Had you spoken English I may have actually agreed with you.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Disfunction

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sealhunt/

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #10
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
Read the whole article. Interesting and seemed to be balanced. One thing I wouldve liked was what would be the impact with no hunting? Is the hunting over all a good thing or not? Sometimes hunting is good as it keeps a population from getting out of hand and 325,000 a years seems like such a large number for one area but I guess they have it under control so lets just move along.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
edible_eye

before we move along (if anyone cares), a counter-argument by the humane society, different than the one originally posted....

http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/p...seal_hunt.html
Old 05-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #12
4mytribe

Ok that was sick. And yeah I read the whole thing. Even if there were a good reason for this (and it appears there is none) then they should do it humanely.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
Disfunction

On the note of 1/20th of their income being from the seal hunt, the average income is incredibly low as it is, so that doesn't hold up too well, in my opinion, as an argument agains the seal hunt.

That said, I highly doubt the practise of seal hunting is exacted in a humane fashion. I see no reason to defend the actions of my government unless my government is acting in favour of what is more of less right. In this instance, the tools used for the slaughter hardly strike me as humane tools. I have nothing else to add.

My main reason for posting the link was to show the quota as being higher than 300K.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
edible_eye

fair enough. the culling of seals has never raised an eyebrow with me other than an occassional tug at my heart when i've seen a particularly brutal pic.

i just figured there were two sides to the story and if someone does care, there should be a double-edged resource.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
WolfMoon

I don't see it as any different than the annual deer hunting they do in Texas. Although, I'd like to know why seal meat isn't eaten.

I honestly don't know how people expect ot kill the animals humanely. What, an army of veterinarians out there with needles full of Euthanasia? Can needles even pierce the hide?

I don't see anything reprehensible in these guys making money to support their families. Hell, I'd do the same thing if it meant feeding my kids.

tribe, obviously you think I have some sort of vendetta against you? You're not that special. I only close stupid threads/topics.

Although it was hard to not hit 'delete' with this one because of the title.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #16
4mytribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
I don't see it as any different than the annual deer hunting they do in Texas. Although, I'd like to know why seal meat isn't eaten.

I honestly don't know how people expect ot kill the animals humanely. What, an army of veterinarians out there with needles full of Euthanasia? Can needles even pierce the hide?

I don't see anything reprehensible in these guys making money to support their families. Hell, I'd do the same thing if it meant feeding my kids.

tribe, obviously you think I have some sort of vendetta against you? You're not that special. I only close stupid threads/topics.

Fair nuff - best to you
Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #17
the_ink_bleeds_faster

And to think about it, I loved Canada. But seals are tasty though!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #18
Frozeninside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon

They do eat the seal meat.
Have you ever had it? It's actually quite good.
Frozeninside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #19
Delkaetre

Unlike most hunters, they don't waste the kill.
People who hunt deer kill it and put up the head. Do they use the bone, hooves, meat, organs, etc?
The seal kills aren't a waste. The meat, blubber, bone and pelt are all used, and the organs make good food for dogs as well as being usable as ties (sinew and catgut were examples of similar uses).
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
slave1

Maybe if they would stop killing the predators, there wouldn't be an overpopulation...
But god forbid they realize a solution that simple...
slave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #21
transformingfate

right-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
Unlike most hunters, they don't waste the kill.
People who hunt deer kill it and put up the head. Do they use the bone, hooves, meat, organs, etc?
The seal kills aren't a waste. The meat, blubber, bone and pelt are all used, and the organs make good food for dogs as well as being usable as ties (sinew and catgut were examples of similar uses).
Okay, first of all, where the hell do you live? Because where I'm from, we kill deer specifically because the meat is delicious and cheap. The meat processers use the leftover meat for sausage, the hooves for dog chews, and we use the organs for coyote bait because the coyote population down here is huge (they run in packs and will pull down calves and ponies/baby horses, not to mention the sheep and goats). Not to mention the fact that we kill deer HUMANELY - we don't hit them over the head and hope they die.

And I don't see anything anywhere I've looked supporting the fact that sealers actually use anything other than the seal skins. I've seen pictures like this one of carcasses scattered everywhere, no sign of people actually USING the leftovers after the skins have been removed. This site also has some info regarding the seal hunts and pictures. Sealers aren't interested in anything but the skins. They waste the rest of the bodies and don't even use all of the bodies.

Stop bashing deer hunters and trying to stand up for pure cruelty and waste. Do your research before you accuse people.
transformingfate is offline   Reply With Quote