Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
in.the.moon

Decisions...

I have one more semester until I graduate from high school which means it is time to make the decision on what to spend an average of $17200 each year for four years.

It was always unsaid but known that I would get into Early Childhood Development. I took pathway classes that will go towards my degree throughout high school. I even did a three month internship at a local daycare

My plan was to go to community college & get an associates degree after two years, transfer to UNCC where I could get my bachelors and 2 more years and get a masters(that's a maybe). Now with that being said...

Doubts about what to do in August have started to cloud my mind. I've been getting alot into cosmetology & I think I could do good at it, but the thing is that now, when family asks me about my plans and I tell them they look dissappointed because they don't think it's a "real" career. Plus I'm not sure my parents would pay for beauty school [I'm sure they'll pay for college]

The way the economy is now, I think I could get a job easier with a cosmetology degree but a masters degree looks more prestigious. Alot of money and time is going to be invested in this so I need to choose the right decision. I mean, I'm going to be 22/24 when I finish!!!

So basically I have three months until decision time & I have no idea what to do....
and I might want to be a chef too
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
KontanKarite

Oh hi. Cosmetology is very much a viable career. To think otherwise is asinine.

It's an actual skill, in fact it's more of a people/sales/hospitality skill than it is a technical one. So it's no surprise that one who has done childcare, a very social skill no doubt, would entertain the idea of doing cosmetology.

...There is a problem. Cosmetology is licensed state to state meaning that it's very difficult to move to another state and practice your trade legally.

Also, child care is something you can take all over the place with little to no red tape.

But, what other questions do you have? I've been there and done that. In fact, depending on the state, the hours required to graduate is not many. Some states require a year long school to as short as 5 months. Standards vary. Considering that, I don't see why you can't have both trades under your belt.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
ape descendant

Honey, you're young, pick what seems good to you, pick what you really would like to do. It doesn't have to be what you do for the rest of your life. You are allowed to change your mind and switch trades.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Alan

The average student changes majors four to five times. It's normal to be indecisive about this.
I would recommend you to keep volunteering and finding internships, this time with something other than daycare. I know that in Texas the career you're talking about would be education from Early Childhood through sixth grade. See your experience with older children to see if you like it.
At the same time, practice amateurishly cosmetology, see how good you're in it and if you could actually have an opportunity as a professional.

Did I leave you in the same place? Good, because remember the first year or so you're only studying basics, so you still have more time to decide than you give yourself. You're an adult now, and only you can make the final decision, but some time already in college will probably clear your thoughts more. If you like both I recommend you to start researching job opportunities in both fields. Make job security a big factor in your decision if you know you'd be happy either way.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My mother went into education, started as a teacher with credentials, then got her Bachelor's then her Master's and then her PhD (in Education and childhood development). She ended up becoming a lobbyist for the California part of the Head Start Program, talking Washington DC politicians out 1.5 billion every year for disadvantaged preschool children. You never know where it will take you! She is a retired millionaire now.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.the.moon View Post
I have one more semester until I graduate from high school which means it is time to make the decision on what to spend an average of $17200 each year for four years.

It was always unsaid but known that I would get into Early Childhood Development. I took pathway classes that will go towards my degree throughout high school. I even did a three month internship at a local daycare

My plan was to go to community college & get an associates degree after two years, transfer to UNCC where I could get my bachelors and 2 more years and get a masters(that's a maybe). Now with that being said...

Doubts about what to do in August have started to cloud my mind. I've been getting alot into cosmetology & I think I could do good at it, but the thing is that now, when family asks me about my plans and I tell them they look dissappointed because they don't think it's a "real" career. Plus I'm not sure my parents would pay for beauty school [I'm sure they'll pay for college]

The way the economy is now, I think I could get a job easier with a cosmetology degree but a masters degree looks more prestigious. Alot of money and time is going to be invested in this so I need to choose the right decision. I mean, I'm going to be 22/24 when I finish!!!

So basically I have three months until decision time & I have no idea what to do....
and I might want to be a chef too
I think you're just scared, because soon you'll be leaving the comfort of school and don't know what to expect. It would be easier to get a job with your degree, pay back any loans and save to go back to school at a later time.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
in.the.moon

@KontanKarite: Is it that difficult to move to another state and try to work there? Do you know if there is a countrywide (for lack of a better word) degree that would meet all requirements so I could work anywhere without any inconveniences? &; I would love to have both trades under my belt, I just need to know which one is first...

@Alan: part of me wants to take more internships to see what I like the most, but I feel like if I don't start school right away I might get sidetracked like many friends I know &; A couple of months ago we were watching 'The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class' and it did mention how people with technical careers have more opportunities at getting a job, BUT child care was mentioned as one. so I think I would have job opportunities in both fields. I just don't want to make a wrong choice, you know?

@HumanePain: Your mom is a hero!! That's why I used to want to be a social worker too, to help kids and make a difference. For my Parenting class I did a 10 minute presentation about Head Start. I have no idea how my mom was able to get my brother in that program, but now he's in and that's awesome because private school for him was starting to get even pricier.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.the.moon View Post
@KontanKarite: Is it that difficult to move to another state and try to work there? Do you know if there is a countrywide (for lack of a better word) degree that would meet all requirements so I could work anywhere without any inconveniences? &; I would love to have both trades under my belt, I just need to know which one is first...
There is not a national certification for cosmetology. Your credentials from state to state vary as you train. Some states have lower standards while others have higher ones. Your BEST course of action is to get your Master's license as soon as possible and then work as a master for a couple of years. That much experience can and does make the transition easier. But if you've just gotten your apprentice license, don't expect them to let you even work in their state as an apprentice. You may have to go to school again and get more hours, you may have to retake their test for the license which you weren't trained for.

In short, the transition really depends on where you learned the trade and where you plan to move.

Obviously, a master with 6 years of experience under their belt will be forgiven more expectations to meet state to state standards than an apprentice who's just starting out.

Bear in mind, you CAN moonlight as a stylist anywhere. It's not exactly legal, but if you're trained, you know what you're doing, and can build your book, you can pretty much set your own prices and work hours. I wouldn't recommend this though. If the state catches you doing it unlicensed you can be banned from the trade fullstop.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
carakitty

in the moon-
Follow your heart and your dreams. Pursue your passion. Alan and ape descendant are correct, many people do have more than one major in school and more than one career in their lifetime.

Using myself as an example: When I was graduating High School I was studying Photography as art, then moved to Photojournalism. Met my now husband and continued with various forms of Photography for a while. Then I got interested in the Internet, Coding, Graphic Design and Web Pages. After that one of our cats started getting sick which kindled my interest in Veterinary Medicine. I started volunteering at an Animal Shelter then got pregnant and did the Stay At Home Mom thing for a bit. Last year my daughter started school so I went back to school, for Veterinary Technology, and I believe this is where my career will finally settle out in one form or another. This is a career field with immensely broad opportunities as are your possible career choices.

Perhaps you could find a compromise with yourself. Such as pursuing Early Childhood Education as your 'day job' and then 'moonlighting' in Cosmetology as a representative for a company like Avon or Mary Kay, so you could solidify your feeling in the field and have more flexibility with your hours in addition to prior experience in the field should you decide to go to Cosmetology School.

Either way, you are young! You have your whole life ahead of you! Keep your chin up and make the best of it!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
in.the.moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
There is not a national certification for cosmetology. Your credentials from state to state vary as you train. Some states have lower standards while others have higher ones. Your BEST course of action is to get your Master's license as soon as possible and then work as a master for a couple of years. That much experience can and does make the transition easier. But if you've just gotten your apprentice license, don't expect them to let you even work in their state as an apprentice. You may have to go to school again and get more hours, you may have to retake their test for the license which you weren't trained for.

In short, the transition really depends on where you learned the trade and where you plan to move.

Obviously, a master with 6 years of experience under their belt will be forgiven more expectations to meet state to state standards than an apprentice who's just starting out.

Bear in mind, you CAN moonlight as a stylist anywhere. It's not exactly legal, but if you're trained, you know what you're doing, and can build your book, you can pretty much set your own prices and work hours. I wouldn't recommend this though. If the state catches you doing it unlicensed you can be banned from the trade fullstop.
Well, Thanks alot for your advice...It surely has put things into perspective
Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
in.the.moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
in the moon-

Perhaps you could find a compromise with yourself. Such as pursuing Early Childhood Education as your 'day job' and then 'moonlighting' in Cosmetology as a representative for a company like Avon or Mary Kay, so you could solidify your feeling in the field and have more flexibility with your hours in addition to prior experience in the field should you decide to go to Cosmetology School.
You make a good point

Quote:
Either way, you are young! You have your whole life ahead of you! Keep your chin up and make the best of it!
I know, I just don't want to make the wrong deciscion
Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Fruitbat

So what else do you want to do with your life? - beyond the 9-5 employment?

My measure of a job is: Do the one that makes you want to leap out of bed in the morning to get to.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
carakitty

in the moon-
If you go with what Fruitbat suggests: "What makes you want to leap out of bed in the morning to get to", chances are it won't be the wrong decision.

If you do get started in one thing and it doesn't end up totally floating your boat you can almost assuredly cast your sails for a different course.

Best wishes. May you be at peace.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
Versus

The "wrong decision" isn't the end of the world. I know you don't want to waste time and energy, but I've found that to be a poisonous line of thought. It has caused me to become unnecessarily frustrated at times because I've found myself wanting to micro-manage and maximize what little free time I have.

My experience has led me to believe that that is the wrong way to approach what you should enjoy. In this instance, your education.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #15
in.the.moon

Quote:
in the moon-
If you go with what Fruitbat suggests: "What makes you want to leap out of bed in the morning to get to", chances are it won't be the wrong decision.

If you do get started in one thing and it doesn't end up totally floating your boat you can almost assuredly cast your sails for a different course.

Best wishes. May you be at peace.
Thanks so much
Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #16
in.the.moon

On April I'll have to make a deciscion that hopefully I won't regret but if I do, I guess it won't be the end of the world...tsk tsk tsk

@carakitty: even though your daughter was in school, was it hard to handle family and school?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #17
carakitty

Yes, it is. Especially recently. I'm still in school, my husband is deployed until late spring, and I have been sick with a nasty sinus infection since right before New Year's Eve. But I'm feeling loads better now and am coming back fighting!

I think the thing that is most challenging about schooling myself with a child in school also is time management. I have to help her with her homework and deal with mine. She's still pretty young and needy (not saying that in a bad way) so my homework usually has to be done after she's asleep or when I have big breaks in the day between classes. I try to be 'homework buddies' with her, but it doesn't seem to work out so well. She thinks out loud and I'm the type who prefers to work in silence, plus there's her frequent interruptions.

I'd get all your school out of the way before you have kids if it's possible, but schooling with children isn't impossible. It just has it's own addition of challenges.

I'm so glad I've gone back to school though and I am very much looking forward to getting out to working in the field!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #18
Fruitbat

Quote:
Yes, it is. Especially recently. I'm still in school, my husband is deployed until late spring, and I have been sick with a nasty sinus infection since right before New Year's Eve. But I'm feeling loads better now and am coming back fighting!

I think the thing that is most challenging about schooling myself with a child in school also is time management. I have to help her with her homework and deal with mine. She's still pretty young and needy (not saying that in a bad way) so my homework usually has to be done after she's asleep or when I have big breaks in the day between classes. I try to be 'homework buddies' with her, but it doesn't seem to work out so well. She thinks out loud and I'm the type who prefers to work in silence, plus there's her frequent interruptions.

I'd get all your school out of the way before you have kids if it's possible, but schooling with children isn't impossible. It just has it's own addition of challenges.

I'm so glad I've gone back to school though and I am very much looking forward to getting out to working in the field!
You rock CK!!!

I've done the working and studying in various combinations, but chasing a kid around AND running a household while Mr Kitty is deployed OS - man that friggin' hardcore!!

You go girl!

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
in.the.moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
You rock CK!!!

I've done the working and studying in various combinations, but chasing a kid around AND running a household while Mr Kitty is deployed OS - man that friggin' hardcore!!

You go girl!
Hell yea! I agree