Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #26
Anarasha

Yeah.
I see it's damaging, but so are regular cigarettes.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #27
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I think it's ironic that 4/20 is supposed to be a day for rallying support for the legalization of marijuana, but most folks that post about it online talk as if it's the greatest reason to light up a bowl that there ever was. I hardly ever see comments like "be sure to write your representative" or "make sure you get the word out."

There's a reason it's taking forever to convince the voting public at large to get on board ...

Man 1: Dude, this is some awesome smoke you scored!

Man 2: Yeah it is. ... Wait, wasn't there something we were supposed to do today?

Man 1: Yeah, but I forgot what it was. ... Hey, you got anything to eat around here?

And so it goes ...
This made me LOL, because it's very likely true. XD
Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #28
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Because a bunch of misinformed idiots and religious jackasses think it's a bad thing.
Well, it is a bad thing, IMO. Just because something's legal doesn't make it good. [I. E., smoking cigarettes, getting drunk at a party and sleeping with exactly the wrong person, etc.]
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #29
Ben Lahnger

Because the weed importing industry doesn't have the same kind of legal and lobbying power that the alcohol industry has. And because too few can see past the anti-weed propaganda to see the economic windfall that would result from taxing marijuana sales.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #30
ART

Taxation would be tricky; it is far too easy to grow, and both producers and a well functioning distribution network is already in place. Hence, tax it too much and the sales will continue through the established channels.

And I agree. Its a bad thing. That should be legal to use.
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #31
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART View Post
Hence, tax it too much and the sales will continue through the established channels.
Well, then people will have a choice. Buy it legally with the tax, or take your chances on buying black market without the tax stamp. There's a reason why you don't hear about any ATF busts of untaxed cigarette distribution anymore.

And when it becomes legal, I wouldn't be surprised to see Phillip Morris, RJ Reynolds and the like to jump into distribution. Which would be the beginning of the end for the current underground distribution model. Who wants to risk going to jail for meeting a dealer in some clandestine and potentially unsafe location when you can pay a little more and get it at the local convenience store or possibly even out of a vending machine.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #32
ART

It depends on locale, I suppose. Here, the people smuggling smokes are very much active. As are the ones smuggling booze. And those who make it.

No jail time for buying that stuff, as far as I understand the risk is a low fine ... unless charges are simply dropped.

But then again, I seriously doubt that buying a *legal* substance that simply hasn't been taxed properly would put anyone in jail even on your side of the pond?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #33
ART

Oh, and I should add an observation to that. People may be comfort creatures, but another law of nature also operates: People are cheap. Convince them there is a buck to save and they will travel far and endure both hardship and danger.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #34
Anarasha

I think that if you made the stuff almost as cheap as the black market backstreet pusher kind, people will much rather get it legally. And the people who grow it and distribute it would pay taxes of it, therefore it is good all around. I believe it could even prevent some of the cases of drug addiction.
On a different note, I have never tried smoking weed, and I probably never will as long as it's illegal.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #35
ART

I am of the opinion that it will lead to increased misery. And besides, the act of smoking weed is legal in your country. You are not allowed to own it, hold it or transport it. And naturally not sell it. But if someone hands you a lit whats-it-called at at party, say, you do nothing illegal by inhaling the vile fumes.

Not that I advocate you do, mind you, stoned people are at least as intolerable to be around as drunk ones.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #36
Saya

While I don't smoke it anymore, I don't see it as any more harmful than cigarettes or alcohol. Not only would there be a tax windfall should it be legalized (and I would say that plenty of people wouldn't mind going into a store and buying it than going through the trouble of finding a trustworthy dealer who won't lace it) but it would be a significant relief on the prison system if anyone who got caught with a joint didn't land in prison.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #37
Still Jack

Meh, I prefer to drive a couple of hours up to Maastricht and get uncut quality gear. Which is invariably better than most of the shit you get on the street here.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #38
Still Jack

Also, to reply to ART's question of taxation, it wouldn't be all too difficult. Just tax it by THC content. Good gear will cost more, granted. But you'll need less to get blazed.

If you can tax booze by alcohol percentage, it must be possible to tax weed by THC content.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #39
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
But then again, I seriously doubt that buying a *legal* substance that simply hasn't been taxed properly would put anyone in jail even on your side of the pond?
You'd be surprised. Remember All Capone? LOL!

But seriously, they would probably enforce the taxation with vigorous criminal prosecution to protect the revenue stream.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #40
Stormtrooper of Death

We also need to remember that you don't just need to smoke it, it can be put in food, tea and many other things, the number of new industries and jobs that would spring up would be huge.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #41
ART

Aye. Many new jobs. Don't forget healthcare, counseling, law enforcement...
Old 04-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #42
Xombie

Keebler would start making weed cookies. Sweeeeet.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #43
blindNsect

Quote:
Taxation would be tricky; it is far too easy to grow,
Most people are lazy, preferring to go buy a pack of Joints vs investing lots of time and effort into growing weed, which is kinda tricky.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #44
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, and most homegrown that I've ever smoked (when I did that sort of thing) always tasted and smelled funky ... we'd end up saying things like, "Well, if you don't have anything else, I guess we can smoke some of that homegrown skunkweed." And it never seemed as potent, but that may have had more to do with how it was grown than anything else.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #45
blindNsect

The best weed is grown indoors. Femae outdoor plants get contaminated with male plant pollen or however that works and it ruins the potency.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote