Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
razor_playground

To Dread or not to Dread

I enjoyed this past summer as the owner of blonde and black synthetic dreadlocks. I found the experience quite unique in that they were low maintance and always looked good..i am thinking of doing them again sumtime in the spring (blue and black)..and was just wondering how many else of u have dreads now or in the past..

dreadies of the past...once again sorry bout the size..if its gigantic
razor_playground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Ariis

Thumbs up

I never did and never will. But
you should definitely do it in the spring.
Ariis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
winged_dreams

I wish I had dreads to wear. I also wish I knew how to make them. I wouldn't dread my hair the normal way. I would prefer to buy synthetic dreads and wear them in my hair. That would be awesome. I say go right ahead and dread again.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
NightwishCobain

dreads are cool, my friend wants them but he found out if you get them done properly (like he wants) you have to get your hair shaved off and he couldn't deal with that. I am not sure if that is true.

Yeah get dreads they are cool.
NightwishCobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
razor_playground

well..anybody who is haveing the synth versus real debate..i say stay with synth..real dreads take so much upkeep..waxing, twisting..blah blah blah..synths if u can find someone who makes them at home..are just braided into yer hair..and after a couple of months you can remove them..no shaving required
Old 10-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
winged_dreams

I would just want the dread falls that you can tie into your hair and just take them out whenever you please.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
NightwishCobain

yeah it would be really cool wouldn't it?
NightwishCobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
rockandrose

I'm not a big fan of dreadlocks but you're looking good in the photo with dreads...You should definitely dread again and again...

I think blonde and bright red would look awesome or blonde and purple!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
razor_playground

orginally i wanted blonde black and purple..but i had it done in 3 days..so there wasnt much time
Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
rockandrose

The dreads suits u well. I can never pull off dreads.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
emeraldlonewoulf

I love dreads, but have three and a half feet of hair, and have no intention of cutting it off. What is fun is to do braids that last for a week or so. Just wash and dry your hair, use some cheap hair spray and let it dry, brush out your hair (for some reason this seems to make the braids hold better) and do about 15-30 chunky braids. They will stay if you seal the ends with a strong gel, and all you need to do is seal the ends about once a day. It can kind of give the same look but you can take them out in about 45 min. with your fingers and a comb, and sometimes a little conditioner if you keep them more than a week. i wouldn't recommend keeping it longer unless you do want real dreads though.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
Tainted Angel

i'm all about the dreads...i need to find someone in my area to do them ><
Tainted Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
anti

I've got dreads right now. Had them for about 5-6 months. They're awesome and all, but look a bit messy sometimes what with my laziness and all the maintenence I should be doing. I wouldn't want my hair any other way, though, and I intend to keep them for years.

You should definitely go for the dreads again, they look great on you.
anti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #14
Demonista_Ravenesque

As an owner of dreads and a dreader (though I did not do my own)

I think they're a great idea, contrary to belief, spiders do not grow in them and they are low maintenance and pretty clean.

I learnt how to do it in this website:

http://www.beautifullychaotic.net/howtodedread.html

Bang! it's very useful, and yeah, I'll just stop posting in dead threads....

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:32 AM   #15
Morrigan_Dubh

This is spooky... And undead thread and I was just thinking this morning about getting dreads...

Thanks for the link, Demonista
Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
Sanctus Dei

Well.. not quite synth hair dreads but I'm about 1 hour away from finishing my first set of Cyberlox dreads... I've got spray painted ribbed tubing and foam all over my room *grins* I'll be sure to post a pic when they're complete.. Hell, just lying there on the floor in peices they look wickedly sweet.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 AM   #17
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
Well.. not quite synth hair dreads but I'm about 1 hour away from finishing my first set of Cyberlox dreads... I've got spray painted ribbed tubing and foam all over my room *grins* I'll be sure to post a pic when they're complete.. Hell, just lying there on the floor in peices they look wickedly sweet.

Cool! Can't wait to see 'em!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #18
Karnival

I'v had dreadlocks. Mine were done with my own hair though, they were not glued together but merley permed together. they lasted up to 6 months, I got bored and took them out.

If i had the chance i would go for the synthetic ones. Unfortunatley finding a place that does that here is impossible. So im saying go for it. If you enjoy them. Why not do them again.
Karnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:54 AM   #19
Immortal_Death

Nicely done! I look stupid with dreaklocks....
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #20
Monsosin

Real dreads take to much to keep looking nice, if you don't do it right they start to smell weird and get real nasty. But I still want them. I have black and white synthetic dreads, I love them! I have them in as oftin as I can. I also have blue, black, and green yarn falls that I made and I'm also working on some black and white ones. I'll sell you a pair if you want (don't hate me for that comment, an art student needs money any way possible). I say dread again, the more people with "dread love" the better. Synthdoll.com is a good place for double ended dreads or dread falls, thats where I got mine.
Monsosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #21
LadySpiderdust

I make them. They are not as difficult as you may think to make. I also make falls in anything from loose hair, to thick chunky yarn, roving, cyberlox, tubing, foam....almost anything I find.
To make dreadlocks you have to start with kanekalon braid (the cheaper PP braid will not seal). Take a section and back comb it (this also means you can twist other colours in) then twist it tightly and seal it with steam. I have a steamer but I know other people who use an open kettle (be careful of scalds!!) a hairdryer or by putting in a pan of hot water. It is best to hold the very ends with a pair of long tweezers and hold in the heat for around 10 seconds to seal them as the ends need extra attention to stop them unravelling.
Hope that makes sense....if you need any extra tips let me know and I will see what I can do
LadySpiderdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #22
LadySpiderdust

This is a picture of one set of me dreadlocks in pink and blonde. Its about the only time you will see me with blonde hair...
LadySpiderdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #23
the_ink_bleeds_faster

I'm not a big fan of dreads, but you look good in them. You should have dreads again!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #24
Alaizabel Cray

I say go for it! You look awesome in dreads.

I've always wanted to dread my hair... in fact I've also been considering doing that myself. If I do, I'm planning on going for blonde and red. I dyed my hair cherry red once and loved it (I have strawberry blonde hair naturally, so reds tend to work well with my skin tone, although I didnt think the cherry red would work as well as it did), so if I would go for a similar color (only probably darker so it's not as in-your-face as it's been before). My parents are going to give me really odd looks when I suggest the idea to them. Of course, I'll have to present them with a crapload of research on how it's done, how to care for them, how much it's gonna cost to get them done, how I intend to pay for it/get them to pay for it, etc. etc. Plus, I've still got to figure out if I'll even like the look on me. And now I'm rambling, so I'm gonna do you all a favor and shut up now.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #25
Kari

Well I wouldn't suggest that you would get real dreads, they will never open up when you decide to take them out so you would have to cut your hair, and that would not be good.

Maybe you should try dread tracks,...

They sell them in the "chang" shop for about $2.49 for a pack, and the dreads are on a track [All different kinds of colors]. I was thinking about getting some packs of hair to make some serious black and white hair falls, they are a lot better than real dreads, and cheaper than buying hair falls online. I personally think that its easier just to buy "Premade" dreads,...
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote