Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

In search of good fashion

Ok, this thread is a help thread. I'm pretty sure there's not a thread about this already.
This thread is for the people that need to find a piece of clothing, or a dress, or something.
Anyone that knows a site for what someone's looking can help them.
For example, I need help with two things.
My school prom is almost here, and it's going to have an Asian (or something like that) theme.
I'm looking for a tuxedo that will look at least slightly Japanese. I don't know why, but I thought one that had buttons at the side instead of centered would look good, but I haven't seen any tuxedo like that.
Any suggestions where I might find a tux like that?
Also, with the summer approaching, I need shorter boots. Who knows of a site that sells pointy boots?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Icarian Decoding

You know kimono's right? I'm thinking, you buy a lightly colored suit, something like a bright red or yellow, that's really loose.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/home_page/ho10_home.jsp
Has alot of good suits. The thing is, whenever I watch a film that shows Japanese people in it, they always wear straight up American-Style Black on Red suits.

The other thing is, the type of clothing Seraph (Collin Chou) wears in the matrix. It's that white coat with the buttons, and the slacks. I'm pretty sure you could find something like that. Look around major department stores, they may have something you like.

As foor boots, there are many options. If you mean straight boots, then these might be to your liking:
http://www.afmo.com/product_page.asp?pid=4751
http://www.afmo.com/product_page.asp?pid=4744
http://www.afmo.com/product_page.asp?pid=4747

This is a bit higher up, but they are supposedly very comfortable:
http://www.afmo.com/product_page.asp?pid=2697

I own a few pairs of Corcoran, and I have had no complaints. Of course, you might be looking for something a little less military, a little more fashion.
Ozark Trail makes some good shoes. You can find those at walmart.

Hope that helps.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Woah, I loved the first boots
Now, if you excuse me, I'm gonna search the tuxedo site for my ideal tux

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
Icarian Decoding

The thing is, I don't think you'll find what you're looking for. Mostly, it provides straight up Black Tuxes. Besides, never order a Tuxedo online. My grandfather instilled that wise piece of information in me (He was talking about the mail, but same concept). If you are renting a tux, get it where you can see it. If you are buying a Tux, BUY IT IN PERSON. You are going to need to get it tailored.

This should give you some good advice:
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/.../menssuit.html
Old 04-23-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Damn! Those boots are out of my price range.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
Icarian Decoding

Yeah, you're better off paying a visit to Wal-Mart.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #7
Sanctus Dei

Seeing as no one's actually helped you successfully yet Jillian I've taken the time to do some actual searching for you based on the theme you've provided..

Check here:
http://asianideas.com/mensjackets.html

You mentioned having very little cash to throw around? I would purchase the peasant coat in black and wear it over a nice white button up shirt, get a decent looking pair of cuff links in black opal to accent the cuffs... a pair of black dress pants and boots. If you can spend alittle more then I'd grab the black silk fortune jacket.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Sobeh

I tried to get my wife to let me wear a somewhat nontraditional tux, but no go - at any rate, what you can do is visit a place like Men's Wearhouse and ask about the combination of a collarless shirt with a buttonless jacket. The look can be quite striking, and is VERY uncommon to see, yet a kind of offset simplicity you don't find in the West very often. Have a look, and you can get a whole tux rented that way, and fitted pretty well, for about $50-100.

Go hereand you can play around with the different styles they have.

For example, on the jacket tab go to page four and select the Willke-Rodriguez Black Fly Front Tuxedo. Then, under shirts, choose Ivory Banded Collar. Then under vest, go to page three and select Banded Vest. That sounds like what you're after.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Draconysius

These coats are so beautiful; I need to start saving for one. I absolutely adore their look; unique, yet elegant.

As for myself, I've been looking for one basic item that, oddly enough, I cannot find anywhere!:
A long-sleeved horizontal black and white shirt (jailbird if you will)
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Well, it seems that, if i don't figure how do Build My Own Tuxedo, I'll buy the longevity jacket.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: