Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
gothicusmaximus

Noteworthy things strangers have yelled to you on the street

As we all well know, those associate with goth subculture are inclined to dress in a manner deviant from that in which the majority of people choose to dress, and as a result, people we've never previously met are often compelled to comment loudly upon our unique aesthetics upon encountering us in some public forum. I've created this thread so we can all showcase some of the more interesting things which have been said to us in this context.
I'll start:

"Look out, dude, I saw Blade down the block."- Homeless Man

"Hi, goth!"- Young gentleman.

"Isn't it a little too early for you to be outside?"- Suit.

"Hey, Count, how are things at the blood bank?"- Bagman

"Excuse me, can I take a picture of you? No one dresses like you in India."- Indian Tourist

"Excuse me, I am just curious, what is going on that you are dressed in this way?"- tourist of indeterminable nationality.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
The only two of those I liked were the tourists since their comments were out of innocence and not ignorance.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
††BlackRose††

LOL. Oh I would have sooo much fun with those people especially that Bagman guy.

Oh ya and even my own friends can be pretty steriotypical. Like:
"Why do you want to be goth?"
"Aren't goths always depressed?"
"Why do you listen to techno stuff? No one really likes it."
etc, etc.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
L'Oiseau Noir

Oh, how many funny things I've had said to me. Some to start with are as follows:

"Oh my God, have you eaten any babies lately?" (She was dead serious, too, which is what made it even funnier) - A "preppy" girl in school.

"Sacrifice any people yet?" - Some guy on my bus.

"SLIT MY WRISTS!" - Some guy at the corner store.

"Hey guys, check it out, it's the Bride of Frankenstein!" - A random girl at the shore.

"Dude, stay away from me--I don't want you to suck my blood!" - A skater-type guy at the movie theater.

There are many, many others, but those are the only ones I could pull off the top of my head. Funny thing is, I dress in rather conservative goth clothes. Oh well.
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
darkbird

I usually just get the whole condescending 'SMILE!' or 'Oh its not so bad!'

>X
darkbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
black_rose

I also have random people scream "smile!!" at me.

Also, once I was walking down the hallways of my school in a black jacket and my hood up. A prep with a group of her friends said "Oh..make way for the emo kid!" *group laughs, I glare*

Other random people at my school ask "Are you emo?", "Are you a vampire?", "Have you ever sucked anybody's blood before?", etc..
black_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
thedoll

Somebody came up to me and told me to choose life, I thought it was a anti-abortion stance

Then his friend elbowed him and said "dumbass, she's a goth, not an emo"

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
NachtSorcier

Nobody ever says anything interesting to me, I just get people who tell me to smile and ask me if I'm into Marilyn Manson. Then of course there are those who make emo comments and ask me outright if I'm a goth.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
TheLaughingCorpse

I've had people take pictures of me before. It was actually rather flattering.

I try to be patient and just laugh when I get questions or stares as, after all, if you dress out of the ordinary even somewhat you have to expect such situations. Plus I hate yelling and getting angry (gives me a migraine) and I don't want people to gain an even more negative view. If they insist on being an a-hole after talking with me, well, they're not the brightest crayon in the box anyway and it's no great loss.

"I heard you guys aren't allowed to smile." --Random gangsta guy. Me bursting out with laughter pretty much answered that one.

"Hail, Satan!" --Screamed at me from a speeding pickup truck

"Going to a funeral?" --Drunk college guy on the bus. I almost replied, "Yeah, yours if you don't stop spewing Budweiser fumes my way and leave me alone." But I just smiled and suppressed my crappy mood instead. Being mature is very difficult sometimes. -_-

And oddly, I had a young military man approach me once and shake my hand because I "reminded him of the freedom he was fighting for". I felt guilty after that, like I was sending him to his death. Irrational but there it is.
TheLaughingCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Beneath the Shadows

"I know this great goth club down in Providence if you're interested." - Army recruiter.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
darkbird

^wow. I wonder if he was telling the truth or just trying to lure you in. they do that.
darkbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Try having a Lt. Colonel for a father, the slightest wiff of a military conversation leads to his recruitment speech.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
gothicusmaximus

Yeah, on one occassion a military officer said 'god bless you, sir' to me, as well.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
MaverickZero

Lets see...

"Do you dress like that for your religion?"

"Run! He's got a knife!"

"Who are you supposed to be... King Arthur?"

"Hey NEO!"

I've had plenty of compliments about how my clothing suits me. Genuine comments, not sarcastic ones. Oh and one recently,

"Where's that from?" (referring to the fishnet shirt)
I say, "Europe I suppose..."
"Well I don't see that stuff around here."
-"Well you wouldn't see it in Barrie (place I live) often, moreso in Toronto."
to which he replied,
"Oh, like on Church Street? (Gay district)"
-"Moreso downtown, in the club district."
MaverickZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
Graveyard.Crow

Oh god ok I have a story.
So it's a science class and we were working with microscopes, and so we had those really sharp and thin pieces of I guess glass on which you put whatever it is you are observing. So this guy grabs one and starts mocking me
"you probably wanna cut yourself right now, is this how you do it" and then he starts making gestures, however he accidentally actually cut himself and started to bleed rather badly for something so small.
Then his friends start to laugh and to save the situation he sticks his finger in my face and says "you like that blood don't you" to which I kinda said "Yeah I do" and took it off his finger.

No it's not gross, it was rather funny to me, and taught him a lesson.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #16
Graveyard.Crow

But on a less funny note, I get harrased on busses, and streets, two Christian people came up to me to save my soul, as well as random creeps who think it's ok to sit next to me and lecture me.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
So it's a science class and we were working with microscopes, and so we had those really sharp and thin pieces of I guess glass on which you put whatever it is you are observing.
It's called a slide.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #18
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
"you like that blood don't you" to which I kinda said "Yeah I do" and took it off his finger.

No it's not gross, it was rather funny to me, and taught him a lesson.
Not so much gross as it is stupid. You're attempt at being witty put you at risk of exposing yourself to unseen bloodborne pathogens. Did you even consider that risk? Did it even phase your mind?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #19
raggedyanne

I think she was more concentrating on the stupidity of her fellow students than blood related diseases; but that is a relevant concern.

My favorite so far was when complete preppies started yelling emo comments at me and my goth friend who's usually pretty quiet got up and yelled "She's a goth you fucktards! Can you not see the fishnet?" He then proceeded to go off on his rant of how goths and emos are different species. Very satisfying.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #20
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
Not so much gross as it is stupid. You're attempt at being witty put you at risk of exposing yourself to unseen bloodborne pathogens. Did you even consider that risk? Did it even phase your mind?
My finger was not cut, nor did I lick the blood off.
WHAT is your problem? Trust me, it WAS undoubtedly funny (and scary for the guy) at the time. Neither did he bother me since.
I'm as healthy as a horse.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #21
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbird
^wow. I wonder if he was telling the truth or just trying to lure you in. they do that.
He didn't have to lure me in. I was the one who walked in on my own with every intention on joining. (So, yeah, it wasn't really on the street, but close enough.)

Besides, I saw pictures.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 AM   #22
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I had a 4-year-old laugh at me at a bus stop once when I was wearing some particularly outlandish makeup (I look back on that makeup with embarassment, now).
My VP once, talking about my evening gloves, asked me if I thought I was Michael Jackson. I was QUITE indignant, and answered with something about not trying to change my race.
A guy on a bike, who was with a group of pedestrian friends, said "Freakshow" to me as we passed each other. The same day, some people driving by in a truck (I think) yelled something about "Get off the street" at me.
Some grade 9 guy told me I needed to learn how to apply makeup. I'd like to see him try painting on something decent...
My friend gave me some comments about "Goth toast" when the caf toaster was being crappy and burnt my toast to heck. I was too lazy to toast some new, so I just drowned it in butter and peanutbutter.
Someone on my floor in first year said that she'd expected me to be a regular pot user (I think due to my combination of goth and artist identities, tho I think more of the artist one...)
Other than that, people have been pretty good to me. I get compliments from people on my floor or from this 70-year-old lady who works at the caf. She said to me "Are you always dressed up so nice? Every time I see you, you're dressed up." For some reason, she reminds me of an italian version of my grandma, even though my grandma would be horrified if she found out that I dressed the way I do...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #23
CptSternn

I had a guy yell 'hey yer fly is down' at me once. Of course, my fly was indeed down at the time.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #24
Anarasha

Why is Denmark so boring? >_< I never ever get any comments -.- except, ofcourse, from my friends who are horrified that I wear eyeliner.
The only comment I ever got was this guy coming up to me with 5 friends(coward...) trying to pick a fight o.o I just stared at him :P
He went as far as asking me if I could fit some girly shorts or if I needed a thong :P I actually found him hillarious o.o
Up until he called me a satanist. Then I just turned around and said: "So what?"
Next time someone comes up to me and calls me a satanist, I'm gonna chant some latin :P
"Malum vires orior. Malum vires exito. Malum umbra appareo!"
(some bad directly translated latin o.o found an online dictionary once.)
Ofcourse, I get comments on being ugly(might be because I am :P)
But I tend to laugh when people stare :P I can spend a long time walking in the city, counting faces.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 AM   #25
MaverickZero

I just find it funny the people that have the smarmy comments are usually people who are either: lacking enough fashion sense to properly dress themselves, or so dolled up, under all that makeup they're wearing is a cryptkeeper.
MaverickZero is offline   Reply With Quote