Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Nike

Nike says hello again (for those who're bored enough to read this)

It's been a while, since I've been writing an introduction, and it seemed fun to do that..
So, well, my name is Veronika, I'm (almost) 24 years old, and I sometimes post on these boards.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm a student of classical archaeology and German philology. I'm currently writing my thesis intend to finish my master about October, November 2006. I focused on field archaeology and tried to work on as many excavations as possible, so far I've been working in Greece, South Italy, Turkey, and Austria. What I'll do once I am finished is another question. I'm also interested in restauration and conservation, and I'd like to do some more specific courses once. Well, time will show.
Another thing I've done was technical drawing, again for archaeological use. It's not something I really enjoy, it's getting really boring after a while, but it served me money, so I might do it again.
The time being I don't have much time for my hobbies, which include drawing, painting, reading, experimental archaeology (experimenting with ancient techniques like weaving, working with metal and bone, wood, fresco painting etc.), photography (exspeially wildlife), hiking (I love nature, mountains, lonely places), travelling (heh, well, part of the archaeology thing anyway), animals, movies, music...and I really enjoy to spend time and share thoughts and ideas with my friends.

2. Where are you from?
Austria. Small country in central europe with lots of mountains.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Difficult question. There are a lot...I'll just mention some that are coming to my mind right now....Kafka, Paul Celan, Elias Canetti, Wolfram von Eschenbach, Ovidius Publius Naso, Pindar, Heraklit of Ephesos, Friedrich Dürrenmatt, E. M. Remarque, Goethe, Carl Levi, Terry Pratchett, E.A. Poe, Yeats...

4. What are your favorite films?
just a few of my favourites...
Blade Runner
Dune (the old one)
Himalaya
Ghost Dog
Dead Man
Kagemusha
Aguirre,Wrath of God
Pasolini's Christos and Medea
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Wallace and Gromit, exspecially the one with the evil penguin.
I'm under the impression that I forgot something important.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
what? wedding? I'll decide when it comes to it, and it shouldn't be only my decision
Well, I think it'd be fun to hand that over to my friends, some of them are playing g instruments and/or sing...

6. At your funeral?
I'll let those decide who'll have to listen to it, I think I'll be fine with everything.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
I'm glad it's not me to decide that, at least not yet.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Whatever, I think I'll be fine with it, it shoud be simple. cremation rather than earth burial.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
I don't have a favourite one.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Exploring the world with the eyes of a child.

11. What's your favorite band?
I don't have one favourite band.
My music preferences range from old music to classical, avantgarde... to Led Zepelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Radio Head, Nick Cave, The Cramps, The Sisters of Mercy, Fields, Dead Can Dance....just to name a few.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
see above. Besides the archaeology/german philology thing I've also started Ancient History, but I'm not sure if I'll ever find enough time to finish that.

13. Why did you join?
It's quite some time ago, to be honest, I forgot. Entertainment, distraction from work, and improving my English?

and how do I look like (err, I admit that the quality of the photo sucks, but you get an idea, right?)

Old 02-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
cannibalnuns

Hey Nike, I am still awaiting your addition to the Green Knight thread and thanks for the approval of it.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
WolfMoon

Nice to see you on the boards more, love. It's not been the same without you.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Nike

Xng - thank you, beautiful-actually I'm none of both, but in the internet things use to seem more interesting than they actually are

Santarea - no, I don't have a whip and a hat like indi, and I'm not even a fan, heh - I'm more fond of strawhats and the such, er, and pirate looks, when it comes to being exposed to the sun.
And no, I haven't read this book yet, I've ordered it a while ago, but it's still untouched. We are confronted with the topic kind of everyday thugh, you can't imgine how many peple enjoy to play Indiana Jones and are completely destroying the context when digging for treasures. I mean, it's ok, if you do it once, but if you do it again after having been explained to what problems it causes it's just a criminal act done on purpose. There are 2 types actually - the ones, who sell the stuff straight on ebay, and the other ones, who go to museums and archaeological institutes to say "lookie what i foundie am i an archaeologist now" and don't want to understand the problem they are causing with their actions. wah, I'll stop ranting now, heh.

cannibalnuns- I'm really sorry I haven't managed to write something for the Sir Gawaine thread yet-I'm going through a very busy and intense time at the moment and hardly find some sleep, I hope I'll find some space next week.

eyesofatragedy-hey beautiful! *waves back* it's alway nice to see you, too

WolfMoon - aw, thank you, Wolfmoon - as most of the time I'm quite busy with life and I don't get to post that often, but....I'll stay in touch

I'm leaving to Greece tomorrow morning, hopefully I'll be a bit less busy than the last couple of weeks in Austria.

Cheers, and see you around
Old 02-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
BlackPaladin

Welcome aboard
Hope you like it here, I can't wait to read your posts
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Empty_Purple_Stars

Umm Sweetie?

Look at her join date under her name..

She is far from New..

But she IS Supremely Talented and Incredibly Beautiful..

*Waves at Nike*

Enjoy Greece, Pretty..

You should post some of your newer dig pictures in here when you have a chance.

I know I would love to see them..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote