Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #76
Pineapple_Juice

I shop mostly at Ross and Salvation Army and Goodwill. Sometimes I'll go to Target or Kohl's. I am poor.

Also, they have stuff there that I can get that nobody else will have, which I appreciate, and if I want to rip it apart and make something else out of it I won't feel bad because I only payed five bucks for it anyway.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #77
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velma Velvet
I purchase clothes anywhere they are obtainable. I prefer cheaper stores and thrifts stores, but I am not adverse to the mall, more specifically Forever 21, as they often have Victorian-inspired items lounging about.
I love forever 21! I have a black fitted frock coat by them with brass buttons and zippers by them. It's very steampunk, and I loves it. I also have an obscenely impractical victorian raincoat that looks sort of like this but black:
http://maruione.jp/images/medium/pro...o08-11_MED.jpg

I didn't know they had their own stores. :O
Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #78
twistedsyn

Hot Topic is ok somtimes. Fishnet shirts are cheap, Tripp has a few nice things there like jackets I can modify. I normally don't buy t-shirts there because they are generic, and I can order nicer print ones online.

H&M is a fav of mine, and Burlington Coat Factory is stocking some cool shirts with skulls and stuff on them, plus some nice black jeans. I bought a really nice purple and black pin striped button down shirt from there.

I do a lot of Ebay and Online shopping though. Ebay has nice stuff from Japanese and Korean designers that I wont see anyone else wearing here at the clubs.
I'm tired of seeing people wearing the same generic stuff when I go out.
twistedsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #79
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsyn
Hot Topic is ok somtimes. Fishnet shirts are cheap, Tripp has a few nice things there like jackets I can modify. I normally don't buy t-shirts there because they are generic, and I can order nicer print ones online.

H&M is a fav of mine, and Burlington Coat Factory is stocking some cool shirts with skulls and stuff on them, plus some nice black jeans. I bought a really nice purple and black pin striped button down shirt from there.

I do a lot of Ebay and Online shopping though. Ebay has nice stuff from Japanese and Korean designers that I wont see anyone else wearing here at the clubs.
I'm tired of seeing people wearing the same generic stuff when I go out.
I agree with everything you've said here, sans the bit about modifying, as I'm more likely to sew my hands together than I am to accomplish hemming. I originally never gave H&M a second thought, but my girlfriend dragged me in there and I actually liked some of their clothing. I bought a bunch of light linen shirts for summer, what I've been told (and proudly repeat) look like "big game hunter" shirts. That works for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #80
twistedsyn

Yes, I purchased a couple nice jackets at H&M , and a velvet blazer , nice jeans with silver zippers on them, ect. I love their clothing.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #81
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Yes, I purchased a couple nice jackets at H&M , and a velvet blazer , nice jeans with silver zippers on them, ect. I love their clothing.
Yeah, they're good. I do find it funny, though, that they have different sections geared to different tastes. For example, there's a section of the local H&M that has what one might call "urban" styles. Next to that is the men's clothing that has a distinctly different, more refined flavor. I guess they're going for mass appeal.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:15 AM   #82
twistedsyn

Sucks you cant shop online if your in the USA though, and the sizing is weird somtimes, a lot of times they wont have somthing that will fit me and I'll have to go to 4 stores to find it in my size.

Online shopping the same I guess. I just ordered a pair of pants form Korea on Ebay and they werre like 2 sizes too small, even though he said he measured them for me to make sure.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #83
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Sucks you cant shop online if your in the USA though, and the sizing is weird somtimes, a lot of times they wont have somthing that will fit me and I'll have to go to 4 stores to find it in my size.

Online shopping the same I guess. I just ordered a pair of pants form Korea on Ebay and they werre like 2 sizes too small, even though he said he measured them for me to make sure.
Yeah, online shopping can be a bitch sometimes. I got lucky when I bought my wool greatcoat from a military surplus dealer's website. I had my mom measure my chest and shoulders (I'm real cool, I know), and then called the guy and had him find me a proper fit. Fortunately he was in CA and not Korea.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #84
LiquidEcstasy

My friend got ripped off on ebay when she tried to order a coat, ever since then I have lost all trust for the site...
I still shop mostly online at UK based sites, but there are a few (hundred) shops around my street with a whole variety of stuff you can't get anywhere else, although they tend to be more expensive.
LiquidEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #85
XxBloodyrosexX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
Us goths have to keep the emo's in check. We can't have them assimilate our beautiful subculture.
You are a horrible person you know that? Hypocritical fool. I sincerely hope I never meet you. Why does it matter what people wear or what 'subculture' they consider themselves? You are just being rude. I personally wear TRIPP pants and I do not think as a size three I am fat. I also do shop at Hot Topic; I may not buy all my clothes there (Mostly I buy Thrift or Charlotte Ruse. B.J. Moss is also good) but that does not make me more or less 'goth'.
P.S. I advise therapy for your horrid mindset and prejudices.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #86
Sanguine Mind

dude, don't shit youself it was a joke- go smoke a fatty and calm down.
Sanguine Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #87
SullenEyes

*finishes scribbling down new store names to shop later*

As many others have said, my most beloved pieces have mostly come from diligent sales rack hunting, thrift stores, second hand stores, and consignment shops. Plato's Closet, Goodwill, and Velvet Garden are all staples in my shopping sprees. I am also shamelessly addicted to Express, which is mercifully limited by my wallet. They are excessively expensive, but they enjoy using little details to enhance basic pieces, which makes CorporateGoth a whole lot easier to pull off.

Someone earlier had mentioned shoes online - do you have much success with the sizing/fit matching what you expect when you order them? Local shoe stores seem to carry either shoes I adore that are not in stock in my size, or shoes that I adore that don't adore me or my feet back (foot pooch is a no-no).
SullenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #88
Solumina

I tend to only buy shoes online if I am familiar with the brand or if there is a fairly generous exchange policy
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #89
twistedsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBloodyrosexX
You are a horrible person you know that? Hypocritical fool. I sincerely hope I never meet you. Why does it matter what people wear or what 'subculture' they consider themselves? You are just being rude. I personally wear TRIPP pants and I do not think as a size three I am fat. I also do shop at Hot Topic; I may not buy all my clothes there (Mostly I buy Thrift or Charlotte Ruse. B.J. Moss is also good) but that does not make me more or less 'goth'.

Thrift stores rock. We have warehouse type thrift stores here.. sigh, if I wasn't in bed sick now, I'd be shopping..and there is a HUGE flea market in Virginia tomorrow :/
Old 12-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #90
twistedsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
Yeah, online shopping can be a bitch sometimes. I got lucky when I bought my wool greatcoat from a military surplus dealer's website. I had my mom measure my chest and shoulders (I'm real cool, I know), and then called the guy and had him find me a proper fit. Fortunately he was in CA and not Korea.

Luckily the guy was super nice and refunded me in full plus the shipping to send it back to him in Hong Kong. It sucks, I loved the jacket but I need a thicker one for winter.

How hard is it to find a nice 3 quarters length double breasted military style wool coat. I cant seem to find one I like. I hate pea coats.

Argh to all.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #91
twistedsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine Mind
dude, don't shit youself it was a joke- go smoke a fatty and calm down.

My roommates below me count as one mopey emo on med's and his punk /goth girlfriend =p

So it is a varied house heh

It makes for fun times though.

People take themselves too seriously.

I take myself not at all.

That makes no sense but sound's important. And I am sick.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #92
maromi12d3

I found these awesome boots at Goodwill. So yes, Goodwill freakin rocks.
maromi12d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #93
twistedsyn

They had a pair of New Rocks at the thrift store here. Its a kinda fake thrift store though because they are organized and look up items online to price them before tagging them. But its huge.

Goodwills are good too, we have lots of those. I can count at least 16 thrift stores within distance to me.

I purchased some nice gothic tables and solid wood and black iron mirrors, plus candle holders, velvet stuff, ect.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #94
Sadist Sagittarius

Quote:
Fishnet shirts are cheap, Tripp has a few nice things there like jackets I can modify.
Fishnet shirts at Hot Topic, cheap? They're 15 bucks there, for 5-10 I could make them out of regular fishnets from the store just by cutting holes. I used to wear Tripp pants. They fell apart...
Sadist Sagittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #95
Sadist Sagittarius

Quote:
This made me laugh.
Sadist Sagittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #96
twistedsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadist Sagittarius
Fishnet shirts at Hot Topic, cheap? They're 15 bucks there, for 5-10 I could make them out of regular fishnets from the store just by cutting holes. I used to wear Tripp pants. They fell apart...

I dont know where your getting yours, but mine are $9.99 at Hot topic.

Women's section are cheaper then Mens. And mine has lasted me 2 years.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #97
crucifix

Quote:
I don't hate hot topic. I just feel like it is over priced and most of the stuff I have bought there has fallen apart in a week. I got some jeans there once, fit me AMAZING but half the button came off in the first wash. And I washed on gentle and air dryed them. However, I may be going soon to get some black pants. My friend got some there and they seemed to be made of really heavy fabric and they are two years old and still going strong. Hot topic is ok in moderation, but too much and I start to feel commercial and like a mall posuer.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #98
twistedsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
I don't hate hot topic. I just feel like it is over priced and most of the stuff I have bought there has fallen apart in a week. I got some jeans there once, fit me AMAZING but half the button came off in the first wash. And I washed on gentle and air dryed them. However, I may be going soon to get some black pants. My friend got some there and they seemed to be made of really heavy fabric and they are two years old and still going strong. Hot topic is ok in moderation, but too much and I start to feel commercial and like a mall posuer.

I have shopped there long enough to figure out which designers are crap, and just look at an item and tell if it will last.

NEVER buy anything from their Morbid Threads line. It is crap and will fall apart.

Only buy the fishnet shirts by MONSTER there, they last a long time.

The Lip Service line of pants is cheaper then their normal stuff, its much thinner in the denim if you compare it to a regular pair of Lip Service jeans. But they are pretty ok. Just make sure to try them on 1st.

I would never buy a pair of boots from them, Ebay has much better price on Demonias.

I tend to either buy higher quality stuff anyways, or buy online or DIY. I really only buy from HT for little things like a tee shirt once in a while or hair coloring. I wouldn't be caught dead in most of it, since 1000 other people have it.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #99
freddy666

hot topic doesnt suck if you carfully select what you buy, it is over priced unless you buy from the clearance rack. i bought a pair of jeans there about six months ago i wear them to school alot and they are still intact.
freddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #100
girasol

raven
gallery serpentine
rubber reactor
myers
david jones
zu
etc.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote