Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Darth Nihilus

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I am the eternal student, and as such am a teacher, for one can not learn fully until one passes on their knowledge. I have no desire to ever stop collecting knowledge, so long as there is something to be learned. In addition, I am always practicing and improving in Bōjutsu, a Japanese staff fighting technique. When not practicing with my bo, I enjoy using a double bladed Japanese I acquired from an old teacher of mine whom taught me Bōjutsu. I have the blades to be double edged, which would be much to his horror were he still alive. I had told him of my desire to do this and he told me I'm liable to lose an arm. To this day he is wrong.

2. Where are you from?

A quiet place where it's always cloudy. That is enough.

3. Who is your favorite author?

That list is seemingly endless. A top ten should suffice.

1. William Shakespeare.
2. Percy Shelley
3. Mary Shelley
4. Robert Louis Stevenson
5. Edgar Allan Poe
6. Lord Byron
7. Anthony Burgess
8. Vladimir Nabokov
9. Charles Dickens
10. George Orwell

4. What are your favorite films?

This is an easier question then the last. A top five will suffice for this.

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. V for Vendetta
3. The Godfather movies (except the third)
4. Lord of War
5. The Star Wars movies (all six but not equally)

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

I have absolutely no desire to get married. I want no part in an overly glorified signing of an entrapping business contract tying my life to another human beings. If I wish to be with someone for eternity I can do it of my own volition and without the aid of a piece of paper.

6. At your funeral?

The traditional funeral song will be sufficient, though I would like it with a full orchestra. I wish to be burned on a pyre before whomever attends. Before I die, I would like to compose a book with all the knowledge I have attained in life and have it distributed to the attendees of my funeral, knowing that my lifelong pursuit of knowledge was not in vain.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

I wish to die in combat. To met an adversary blade upon blade, to die with honor.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

I have mentioned my choice of burial above. It does not need repeating.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

I do not dress elaborately. Loose fitting black pants, a loose black shirt, thick black vinyl gloves that are about elbow length, knee high plain black boots, and occasionally a thick black cloak. I have no need for fashion, only function. The boots grip my feet in such a way as to give me great stability, and the gloves I wore when sparring against opponents as protection. I had grown so accustomed to wearing them that they permeated from my training attire to my daily attire.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Childhood is the age of ignorance and I am glad to be free from it.

11. What's your favorite band?

Instead of listing off bands, it would suit my musical tastes far better to list my favorite composers. A top ten would do well.

1. Ludwig Van Beethoven
2. Johann Sebastian Bach
3. Frédéric Chopin
4. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
5. Wilhelm Richard Wagner
6. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
7. Franz Peter Schubert
8. Niccolò Paganini
9. Petrus de Cruce
10. John Williams

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

I am currently in pursuit of a PhD in philosophy.

13. Why did you join?

To see what knowledge I can attain from this place.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

The first 13 questions did not give it away, and neither will I. It's all irrelevant nonsense anyway.
Darth Nihilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
$haDe

...through passion, I gain strenght.
Through strenght, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.

and some lines that I forgot and The Force will free me.

Fine start, you have here, young sith.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum!!!

V for Vendetta is a great movie.

Enjoy your stay, I hope we'll get to know more about you.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
SKULHEDFACE

Welcome to the boards.

I really hope that the majority of your introductory post was made as a jest. If not then I pity you. You sound like a typical teenager who enjoys anime and fancies himself a ninja. Half of the crap you said was so entirely bland and typical of a delusional teenager that I will admit to cracking a smile. If not for your blatant arrogance I would say that you seem like a half-decent guy..unfortunately I can't do that.

You do have a seemingly good taste in movies and authors however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Nihilus
Childhood is the age of ignorance and I am glad to be free from it.
This damn near brought a tear to my eye. For someone who claims to be an eternal student who strives for constant knowledge you seem awfully blind.
SKULHEDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULHEDFACE
Welcome to the boards.

I really hope that the majority of your introductory post was made as a jest. If not then I pity you. You sound like a typical teenager who enjoys anime and fancies himself a ninja. Half of the crap you said was so entirely bland and typical of a delusional teenager that I will admit to cracking a smile. If not for your blatant arrogance I would say that you seem like a half-decent guy..unfortunately I can't do that.

You do have a seemingly good taste in movies and authors however.

This damn near brought a tear to my eye. For someone who claims to be an eternal student who strives for constant knowledge you seem awfully blind.
A typical teenager who enjoys anime and fancies himself a ninja, indeed. I would like to point out that I do not enjoy anime in the slightest. The story lines are often absurd and flimsy, and the immature jokes do not amuse me. I do not fancy myself a ninja, nor would I desire to be one. We all need a hobby, somewhere to go where we feel comfortable, somewhere where our minds may relax in the familiarity of repetition and routine. For some it is gardening, for others it is sewing, for me it is Bōjutsu.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #5
$haDe

I like you, already.

I'm a fan of Star Wars!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #6
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
I like you, already.

I'm a fan of Star Wars!
The movies are fine, however the extended universe, comic books, games, things of that nature, are far more interesting to me.

As to your earlier post, the line you forgot is, "Through victory, my chains are broken"
Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
$haDe

Mmm... you've completed your training, young sith.

and, Yes, I found it more entertaining and interesting than the movie it self.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
The movies are fine, however the extended universe, comic books, games, things of that nature, are far more interesting to me.

Ahaha!
I like you already=]]]

Welcome to the boards.

By the way have you got the Star Wars Encyclopedia?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland
Ahaha!
I like you already=]]]

Welcome to the boards.

By the way have you got the Star Wars Encyclopedia?
I'm sure it's lying around somewhere in my library. Trying to keep a track of all the books I own would take up so much time I would be left with none to read. I've asked everyone I know who insists on giving me a gift for any reason give a book. I also buy them whenever I'm out, to me they are as important as groceries for daily purchases. One to feed the body, one to feed the mind.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #10
Malice In Wonderland

Aha.
I love reading.

My encyclopedia's downstairs.
I got it when I was about seven.
It's wonderful.
There's a small picture of Darth Vader and Luke dueling on the cover.
And they have the incorrect lightsabers.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #11
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Aha.
I love reading.

My encyclopedia's downstairs.
I got it when I was about seven.
It's wonderful.
There's a small picture of Darth Vader and Luke dueling on the cover.
And they have the incorrect lightsabers.
I sat down with two friends of mine, an electronics engineer and a physicist. Together we spent three hours discussing light sabers and realized what is preventing us from creating them.

For starters, you would need a very small, lightweight device capable of generating a very strong and highly controlled electro-magnetic field that could not only control the plasma and adjust on the spot, but be able to contain the heat that would radiate from the blade. In order to have the blade cleave flesh and metal the way it does, it would have to reach an average temperature of about 2 million degrees Fahrenheit , many times hotter than anything we have. Secondly, you would need something small and portable to generate such a tremendous heat. Not only that, but you would need to create the continuous energy cycle that is within light sabers, where basically the energy dispersed from the battery pack continuously loops back into the battery until contact with anything is made, at which point more energy will need to be spent. This brings us to our next problem, an energy pack with that much energy, 2 million degrees Fahrenheit would require tremendous energy. Lastly, you would require a metal strong enough to withstand such absurd heat as well as something that could generate enough heat to melt such a metal so that it could be cast into the hilt.

After all that, you would need to train not only to counteract the gyroscopic effect of the saber (since the weight would be all in the hilt) but be able to wield a sword with such skill that it never came in contact with you under any circumstances.

There are hundreds of pages on the web discussing the very same thing in greater detail, but I thought you might find that interesting.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #12
Malice In Wonderland

Wow.

You appear to have a lot of time on your hands.
Haha.
The Star Wars series could have cut a lot of budget with their sound effects.
In reality they wouldn't have any "Pew Pew Pew" laser noises in space.

Also you know that every lightsaber used in the film is made out of grenade launcher parts?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #13
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Wow.

You appear to have a lot of time on your hands.
Haha.
The Star Wars series could have cut a lot of budget with their sound effects.
In reality they wouldn't have any "Pew Pew Pew" laser noises in space.

Also you know that every lightsaber used in the film is made out of grenade launcher parts?
Nothing would have made any noise in space, sound is the vibration of matter. However, imagine every single space scene in that movie without any sound whatsoever. It would be far more infuriating.

I heard about the grenade launcher thing.I saw someone make one out of lawn mower and sprinkler parts once, it looked surprisingly good.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Nothing would have made any noise in space, sound is the vibration of matter. However, imagine every single space scene in that movie without any sound whatsoever. It would be far more infuriating.

I heard about the grenade launcher thing. Did you know the person who portrayed Darth Maul was a highly trained martial artist and they hired someone else to do the voice-over?
Yerr.
A hell of a lot funnier though.

And wow really?
I hated Darth Maul's character.
You know Darth Vader was the green cross code man?
They hired someone else to do the voice as he was really squeaky.
But they liked the way he walked.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #15
SKULHEDFACE

<__<
>__>

What the hell is going on in here? Are you guise talkin' bout some StarWars? Let me get in on this. I'm primarily a fan of the movies and haven't bothered dicking around with much of the other stuff. Is it actually any good?
SKULHEDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #16
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULHEDFACE
<__<
>__>

What the hell is going on in here? Are you guise talkin' bout some StarWars? Let me get in on this. I'm primarily a fan of the movies and haven't bothered dicking around with much of the other stuff. Is it actually any good?
It's pretty good yer.
Get the encyclopedia.
Through that you can find other things to read into.
E.G comics, games etc etc etc.
It's pretty outdated actually.
It came out before the prequel trilogy.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #17
Saya

I was ready to declare you the best newbie in a long time until I saw Lord Byron. You disappoint me.

But seriously, otherwise you have excellent tastes ^_^ I noticed V For Vendetta is one of your favourite films, and I must ask, have you read the graphic novel?

Quote:
I am currently in pursuit of a PhD in philosophy.
Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #18
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
I was ready to declare you the best newbie in a long time until I saw Lord Byron. You disappoint me.

But seriously, otherwise you have excellent tastes ^_^ I noticed V For Vendetta is one of your favourite films, and I must ask, have you read the graphic novel?
Read it four times, quite good.

As for Byron, how could you not love the writings of a man who sustained himself with pure ego?

Skulhedface, starwars(dot)wikia(dot)com has a lot of information and they are pretty accurate. Nerds tend to be meticulous about their passions.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 AM   #19
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Luke, I am your father!

Together, as father and son, we will restore ORDER to the galaxy!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #20
Darth Nihilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Luke, I am your father!

Together, as father and son, we will restore ORDER to the galaxy!
The beauty in the jedi is that they never wanted order. They wanted the extermination of the dark side. The force can not balance without a light and a dark, so what they want was just as selfish as the sith, they were simply more self-righteous about it.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #21
$haDe

The sith always betray one another as said in The Force Unleash.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
Hades

Aha, so this is where one greets you welcome welcome!
Your list of the, well, all things you mentioned and like, is quite good, though i'm not going to jump the gun and say i'm more than familiar with even half of it. xD This whole Star Wars geekness marathon you and Malice have just had was an interesting read and for what it's worth, at least a jedi working for the light would think twice before killing someone!
Although i don't get why they had to wear non-black clothing. I guess it's that whole film-y way of helping us distinguish the bad guys easier

If you truly are not just a bored teenager that instead of being "vampire" is acting like you are, then that's cool ^^ be yourself, even if it means... being so disciplined as you appear to be, hehe.

Saya, what about meeee? Was Hades a bad noobie?
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #23
Albert Mond

I've always found the philosophy of Star Wars quite interesting. Recently I found this cool video which went even deeper into 'the force' than I'd ever previously imagined.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #24
Darth Nihilus

You should read all the potential endings for Kotor 2. They discuss all sorts of moral implications of force bonds and all things. That story, particularly the things Kreia says, is very deep. Worth the time to check I believe.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #25
KontanKarite

So... you live in your sparring gear do you? Someone that's practiced that much would be damn fine to go a few rounds with. You can use the bo too. You'd need it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote