Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Edward Strange

Doc Marten's Boot Question

Oi oi.

'Ello everyone.
Just a quickie question about owning a pair of docs.
I remeber getting my first pair of Docs a few months back, very exciting, cheery red they were and for a time, all was well.
However, they now seem to have well... Streched.

And they rub against my feet and make them so very sore. *Weep*

I wear size 11 shoes, and my feet are just under size 11. I seem to have solved the problem by wearing thick socks.
However, I feel this state of affairs simply cannot continue.

So I'm thinking about maybe picking up some new ones when I'm in Camden, some nice black ones with steel toe caps perhaps?
And ideally with fewer than twenty eyelets! ><
Brings whole new meaning to the words "He died with his boots on" (I love my 20 eyelet boots really).

Anyway. Hoping to buy some nice ones for when I can't be asked to do up my 20 eyelet ones or I need some boots that are a bit more... Normal.
Like going out on patrol when I finish police school (we hope!). >>

SO! Question is, why have my boots strechted? And do you think i could get away with size 10 boots?
I could wait and find out, but I'm the impatient type. >_>

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Methadrine

You could try to put in a second sole into the boot. Oddly enough this usually makes boots that are a size larger fit feet one size smaller, without needing thick socks etc.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
MollyMac

ANything made with a lot of leather, even hard leather, stretches. Thicker socks can decrease the wiggle room for now.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Ishkabibble

If you buy a smaller size boot it might just adjust to your size after it has stretched. I just say, go out and buy them.
There's always enough room for boots in one's closet.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
deafasadoornail

I second the idea of putting in a second sole, that's what I've done with my Docs. It gives a half-size boost and really extends the life of the shoe as well. I wear a 9 and a half (ladies) and can get away with a 9 Docs, but if you normally wear an 11 then I'm pretty sure the 10 will be too small. Especially if you get the steel toe ones which don't stretch as much.

I live in my 8 eyelet Docs and want to get some higher boots, but I don't have the stamina for the 20 eyelet style.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
the-broken-harlequin

Funny, my brothel creepers did the exact opposite.
I bought them and fell in love with them but they were one size bigger than my own but I had to have them.

After a week of wearing them I obtained blisters and the back of my feet would bleed.
Oddly enough once my scabs started to fade there was no pain and They seemed to fit perfectly.
I love my broth's!
the-broken-harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Edward Strange

Thankyou all for your kind words, tales of terror and advice.

I'll get some more thick socks and see if I can get my hands on a second sole (mum mentioned in-soles too, so I'll check those out). And when I'm down Camden way, I'll try on some size 10s.
I can hardly wait! ><
Freedom from sore feet!

from its torpor.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Anguelon

Size isn't the issue here , but u were sold a pair of perfect knock offs, i know this as i have worn every single kind of DMs. They can't stretch, i wear steel cap heels now. So check out ur source next time. There are alot of perfect knock offs.
Anguelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
CptSternn

DM's were cool back in the 80's when they were handmade by punks in London. Now, they are made at the same factories as Reebok.

Gladiators are now the new DM's. Hand made by punks in London, picking up the tradition DM sold off years ago for a profit.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguelon
Size isn't the issue here , but u were sold a pair of perfect knock offs, i know this as i have worn every single kind of DMs. They can't stretch, i wear steel cap heels now. So check out ur source next time. There are alot of perfect knock offs.
Actually, since 2003 or so, Doc Marten has been outsourcing to China and Taiwan. Since then, the quality of the boots they produce has gone down quite a bit. If they boots stretch quite a bit, they were made since then. And all boots stretch if they're made of leather. It's just a matter of how much.
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Edward Strange

"Size isn't the issue here , but u were sold a pair of perfect knock offs, i know this as i have worn every single kind of DMs. They can't stretch, i wear steel cap heels now. So check out ur source next time. There are alot of perfect knock offs."

Amazing.
Simply amazing.
Truly they are the very boots of the Gods no less!

Fakes... Well I never. I'd better get onto Airwaves and tell them their offical UK Doc Marten's internet shop is selling cheap knock offs.
Heads will roll at Cloggs... >_>

I read about how they are all made in the far East now, it's on the Wikipedia page innit.
I think my next time I buy boots I'll aim to make a political statement as well.

Take -that- globalisation!

from its torpor.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
Anguelon

I am serious about the perfect knock offs, i live in Lebanon. We have the perfect knock offs of almost anything here. Even if the boots are made in taiwan or china, this shouldn't happen. Shops like Mango, Zara and of that sort have all their clothes made in the far east but the quality is great. It's just the assembling as in sewing which is done there. Even in expensive shops here, u buy perfect converse knock offs made in Israel.
Anguelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
A question for Captain Sternn since you seem to be so knowledgeable about DM's:

Why were the soles made with light gray soles instead of black to match the rest of the boot? O_o I always wondered about that color.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #14
Edward Strange

Ahahaha! It is -done-.

Picked up some 15 quid Docs in the Real McCoy (best shop in exeter!) at size ten, and by some miracle they fit(ish)! They need a bit of a polish and I hope they stretch out a bit.
But they're proper Docs, made in England and everything.

I also tried on a tail coat and a top hat in the same shop. Aaah for a few dollars (pounds >_> ) more...

from its torpor.