Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
JCC

A serious question.

Aight so I want to distract you all from beating over the Sisters of Mercy for a second to discuss a matter of grave import; namely, what should I wear tonight?

"It doesn't matter JCC, you always look resplendent!" I hear you cry, and yes, generic gothic.net/boards user, you are, of course, correct, but I'm going to see my friend's band and all the top cats of my social circle are going to be there. They all want to fuck me, as you could well expect, and so I want to look especially fly.

But enough about the insatiable lust that everyone I've ever met has for me, I want to delve straight to the heart of my dilemma: I bought a totally rad denim shirt from All Saints (feast thine eyes) and I plan to pair it with a pair of totally sick selvedge jeans (as so) in a vaguely similar style to this. And so my questions: is double denim ALWAYS wrong? Is that tricksy cowboy looking motherfucker poisoning my mind with his denim-on-denim look simply because David Beckham can make the worst shit look totally fly?

I wouldn't normally come here for advice on anything but I'm in a dire straits here. If you wear fishnets on your arms, don't reply.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Man In Room 5

I'll preface my advice by saying I hardly ever bother to dress cool anymore so my advice may be worthless, but: I'd not wear that shirt and those pants together. It's not so much that they're both denim but they're both also too similar in color. Double denim is OK but when they also both match in color it looks like you work at a gas station in Memphis.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
JCC

Yeah, the shirt is actually a somewhat different shade to how it looks in the photo but I am in danger of looking like I'm wearing some kind of bizarre denim jumpsuit monstrosity.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
DRM

I think you can pull it off.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Solumina

Denim on denim generally looks bad but if they are different shades or different weights then it wont be a problem.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
gothicusmaximus

In order to render this counsel, I must first confess that my initial appraisal of this outfit was shamefully cursory. Of course, I usually drop everything that I might consider any new chapter in your sartorial adventures with rapt attention, but a wolf broke into my apartment and was biting my leg-- thus, I did not realize the shirt was denim. I pray I am not too late.
Look, you can't wear double denim unless you plan on carrying a Winchester Rifle. Nothing short of a lever-action firearm will be sufficient to contextualize double denim as the raiment of a fucking badass cowboy rather than that of a guy who not only resides in rural Canada, but who never wants to leave rural Canada. Moreover, if there is a slight variance in shade between the two pieces is not a saving grace-- it is the kiss of death. Your BLACKS will not MATCH. ABORT OUTIFT AT ONCE.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

I think denim on denim is always stupid looking, and honestly, I think Beckham looks terrible there.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Joker_in_the_Pack

Agreed. I'm not one for denim shirts in general. Jackets are on, but shirts?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

Why am I the only one who thinks mismatched denim looks like shit? I mean denim on denim looks like shit, but some people can pull it off. If you have mismatched denim it's like when uninformed bitches be wearing different colored blacks. Drives me batshit.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
Geoluhread

Wearing those just like that would look bad. Maybe if you wear a white something under the shirt and keep it open MIGHT make it look better, but denim on denim doesn`t look good.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Malice In Wonderland

I'm in two minds about it.
If you have a rad jacket then it could work.
Otherwise it's a no.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
sibyl vane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Denim on denim generally looks bad but if they are different shades or different weights then it wont be a problem.
Agreed ten.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote