Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #101
Geoluhread

Caffeine actually puts me to sleep... Is it normal?
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #102
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
I believe Caffeine actually acts as a depressant before it does as a stimulant.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #103
faye_falling

Quote:

Ha, I thought I was alone! Coffee just makes me feel warm and sleepy. On the original topic of being straightedge, I guess I am to a point. I only drink on occasion but other than that, I'm free and clear.
faye_falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #104
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Do you have ADD?

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #105
blackwater1110

I have smoked, done various drugs, drank every major kind of alcohol, taken prescriptions, caffeine, chocolate, etc.

Following a 'try it, you might like it' attitude has done me no real harm, except in the case of cigarettes. Given the choice to go back and pick it up again, I would have acted differently. The physical addiction is not so severe that I can't resist it; it the psychological addiction and the mind-games to follow that result in my inevitable return to a useless and harmful habit.

There are a few drugs on my blacklist, but other than that, if offered the opportunity for a new experience, under reasonable and safe circumstances, I'm game.

Some people pride themselves on never changing their chemical makeup, and if that's rewarding for them, then great. Being the curious type myself, I find altering my state of consciousness not only physically pleasant but also intellectually stimulating.

I find that the best way to control appetites, rather than suppressing an already-existent desire through strength of will, is to not allow those desires to gain a lot of forward momentum in the first place.

The downside to diminished desires is an apathetic attitude towards one's life, and a general lack of reasons to do much of anything. Does anyone else ever experience this?
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #106
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110
I have smoked, done various drugs, drank every major kind of alcohol, taken prescriptions, caffeine, chocolate, etc.

Following a 'try it, you might like it' attitude has done me no real harm, except in the case of cigarettes. Given the choice to go back and pick it up again, I would have acted differently. The physical addiction is not so severe that I can't resist it; it the psychological addiction and the mind-games to follow that result in my inevitable return to a useless and harmful habit.

There are a few drugs on my blacklist, but other than that, if offered the opportunity for a new experience, under reasonable and safe circumstances, I'm game.

Some people pride themselves on never changing their chemical makeup, and if that's rewarding for them, then great. Being the curious type myself, I find altering my state of consciousness not only physically pleasant but also intellectually stimulating.

I find that the best way to control appetites, rather than suppressing an already-existent desire through strength of will, is to not allow those desires to gain a lot of forward momentum in the first place.

The downside to diminished desires is an apathetic attitude towards one's life, and a general lack of reasons to do much of anything. Does anyone else ever experience this?
A-fuckin'-men.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #107
biohazard

I am currently 18 and I have been pretty much sXe all my life. Does medicine count as drugs? I do not count it as one, since I get colds very often and must take medication often as well. I have never smoked or taken any illegal drugs for that matter, and I am still virgin, so I adhere from sex as well.
As for alcohol I don`t drink, but I did drink a lot for my graduation night(I got "happy") but did not like it and don`t plan to.
I think being sXe will help my life overall, and I would feel much better not drinking again than doing so to conform.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 AM   #108
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Do you have ADD?
You know, caffeine always made me sleepy, and I have been diagnosed with ADHD, but for the past couple of years not only has caffeine gone from calming, to nuetral, to where it now makes me jittery, but I've been doing fine off of my meds. Can you outgrow ADHD?

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #109
Solumina

You can, caffeine also helps people with ADHD to function better, I have heard of many people who self medicate their ADHD with coffee or soda. It doesn't work for everyone who has ADHD but it does for many. Either way I'm glad to hear that you're doing well.

Back on topic: my college is a dry campus and as such seems have a rather high percentage of sXe freshman, I say freshman because this percentage is much lower among the upperclassmen, almost negligible really, because so many of those kids drop the sXe crap as soon as they turn 21. It really is rather silly.

Personally I enjoy a good cocktail (mmmm a Georgia peach with some chocolate soufflé and I am in heaven). I don't really get drunk, sometimes I don't really pay attention to how much I'm drinking and sometimes the drinks are just so fantastic that I end up a good bit tipsy, but I don't drink to get drunk. I occasionally smoke pot, as in once aver few months or so, it relaxes me and I enjoy the experience. I smoke hookah because I like it.

I don't judge people for wanting to abstain from these things, if they don't want to do it then that is just fine by me, I just hate when people think that they are better than me because they aren't "poisoning their body" like I am
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #110
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I don't really understand the need to type or say it at all.

You straightedge kids seem to be so hellbent on letting the entire planet know you're straightedge.
Instead of talking about it and writing those stupid Xs on your hands, why not just respectfully decline a joint or a fuck when offered to you?
I think the point that you're not into that would get across.
I've never put Xs on any part of my anatomy, ever. Nobody in my town wears Xs either. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone, beyond the internet, with Xs.

My friends don't even know what straight edge is. They thought it was a sexuality thing, when I mentioned it (in passing two years ago, I might add). I haven't mentioned it since.

I do respectfully decline smokes, sex, caffeine when it is offered to me. No, none of my peers can understand why somebody wouldn't want to get pissed or laid as much as humanly possible, so the point doesn't get across.

And in this thread I'm typing it because it's the Straight Edge thread. Other than in this thread I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it before here either.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #111
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh

I do respectfully decline smokes, sex... when it is offered to me.
You're fifteen, I should hope you don't recieve too many offers for the former or the latter.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #112
LiUsAiDh

Former, yes. Latter, not really, although my classmates engage in it occasionally.

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #113
Joker_in_the_Pack

I wasn't by any means saying you shouldn't shag at a young age, I'd be spewing hypocrisy. My point being I would hope at fifteen the number of sexual advances made towards you aren't terribly high.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #114
Solumina

Have you seen teenagers these days? Kids have gotten way sketchier even since I was in high school, and that was only a few years ago.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #115
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
My point being I would hope at fifteen the number of sexual advances made towards you aren't terribly high.
Not towards me, I don't 'hang with that crowd' - not because of their sexual habits, but because they also happen to be idiots. But they seen to sleep around a fair bit.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #116
ionic_angel

No sex, no drugs, no smoking, mild alcohol.

How's that? Do I win?

Who the hell cares about being "straight-edge"?
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #117
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
No sex, no drugs, no smoking, mild alcohol.

How's that? Do I win?

Who the hell cares about being "straight-edge"?
Depends on how you define winning, living your way would bore me to death.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #118
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Hmm lets see, I used to smoke for a small while, I barely drink as it just isn't my cup of tea. I've only gone as far as marijuana and plan to keep it that way, it was a nice experience but I don't plan on making it part of my life routine.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #119
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Depends on how you define winning, living your way would bore me to death.
I imagine I'd feel like a pretty empty person if living without sex, drugs, and alcohol would leave me 'bored to death'. I don't intend to say I don't enjoy these things, just that they're a supplement to my life rather than my life itself.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #120
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I imagine I'd feel like a pretty empty person if living without sex, drugs, and alcohol would leave me 'bored to death'. I don't intend to say I don't enjoy these things, just that they're a supplement to my life rather than my life itself.
I was exaggerating, but I certainly think that it would be a waste of my life to not experience them.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:07 AM   #121
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I was exaggerating, but I certainly think that it would be a waste of my life to not experience them.
Really? When you arrive to your deathbed, could your last words really conceivably be, "Damn, I should have drank more vodka"?

Even without those things, there's plenty more reasons life is awesome, and wouldn't be wasted if for some reason you never got the chance at them.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote