Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:24 AM   #26
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
But there is a significant membership demographic consisting of minors. Gnet has legal concerns, like getting sued or shutdown. There is a class of people known as "lawyers" that are bothersome when given the opportunity.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 AM   #27
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
But there is a significant membership demographic consisting of minors. Gnet has legal concerns, like getting sued or shutdown. There is a class of people known as "lawyers" that are bothersome when given the opportunity.
The internet has a significant demographic of minors. Besides, it's a Gothic site. If somebody wanted to sue, they could just claim it was corrupting the kids through evil Gawffic darkness.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #28
jack_the_knife

But that would mean lawyers could sue the owners of this site because it promotes bands with names like "Alien Sex Fiend", "Sex Gang Children" and "Sex Beat". I mean, that could be considered offensive to some sensitive individuals.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #29
Gothic.net

When asked to clean it up a little...

It's a reasonable request. It's not hardass, it's just a request that should be respected. I'd like to not have to resort to forcing the corrections on people. I'd like to be able to give them the opportunity to be better citizens here on their own.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #30
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_knife View Post
But that would mean lawyers could sue the owners of this site because it promotes bands with names like "Alien Sex Fiend", "Sex Gang Children" and "Sex Beat". I mean, that could be considered offensive to some sensitive individuals.
We could censor all those terms, if we chose to, but that would be silly. However, when a specific member is contacted and a request is made that they reel it in a little because people object to many of their posts, such as their lame grade school 'fanfic' about every character in Lord of the Rings butt fucking each other and calling one another 'nigga', or putting unreasonably graphic descriptions of the sex they like in their subtitle, it would be better if they could respect the request. Otherwise they give the impression that they are actually a troll, here to bring things down to a less civilized level while they hide behind their claims of sexual discrimination every time they are asked to bring it back to a more appropriate level of sexual content.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #31
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net View Post
We could censor all those terms, if we chose to, but that would be silly. However, when a specific member is contacted and a request is made that they reel it in a little because people object to many of their posts, such as their lame grade school 'fanfic' about every character in Lord of the Rings butt fucking each other and calling one another 'nigga',
I don't remember anybody ever actual bum fucking anybody in my LOTR thingy. Unless it was in the 'nigga' bit, which I doubt. There was some implied sex, but I'm not sure about any actual descriptions of what kind. Too bad you deleted it, or I'd be able to tell.
Quote:
or putting unreasonably graphic descriptions of the sex they like in their subtitle,
How about I make 'Torsofuck' or 'Spermswamp' my subtitle? They're both bands, so apparently their names can't offend people. After all, Sex Gang Children is perfectly appropriate.
Quote:
it would be better if they could respect the request. Otherwise they give the impression that they are actually a troll,
Whether or not I'm a troll is a matter of constant debate, even among myselfs. I, personally, don't think I am.
Quote:
here to bring things down to a less civilized level while they hide behind their claims of sexual discrimination
Hide behind? No. Use to take the piss out of your sudden ruling that my subtitle was t3h horror of t3h world? Yes.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #32
isobel black

It's not that I'm opposed to any form of control, but that user title was positively harmless.

People who find fault with that will probably be even more outraged at the phrase 'Goth as Fuck'.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #33
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobel black View Post
It's not that I'm opposed to any form of control, but that user title was positively harmless.

People who find fault with that will probably be even more outraged at the phrase 'Goth as Fuck'.
Ok, fixed.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #34
isobel black

Oh, come on... That's just petty.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #35
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond View Post
How about I make 'Torsofuck' or 'Spermswamp' my subtitle? They're both bands, so apparently their names can't offend people. After all, Sex Gang Children is perfectly appropriate.
When the bands you are mentioning attain the cultural significance of Alien Sex Fiend or Sex Gang Children, then there might be more attitude for them too, but if you are just putting names up there that nearly nobody has heard of just as an excuse to put inappropriate terminology up, that's not being anything other than trollish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond View Post
Whether or not I'm a troll is a matter of constant debate, even among myselfs. I, personally, don't think I am.

Hide behind? No. Use to take the piss out of your sudden ruling that my subtitle was t3h horror of t3h world? Yes.
That is true, it is a debate. That's why you were asked reasonably to reel it in and make a token gesture to act more like a good citizen here, and watching your reaction simply makes it clear what you are. It wasn't the horror of the world, but you were warned and asked reasonably to clean up your act a little and you chose to push back instead. That doesn't always go well. Consider it a life lesson.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #36
Gothic.net

Quote:
Oh, come on... That's just petty.
No, you made a point and I agreed with it.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #37
isobel black

Quote:
So you've fixed Mond's user title? My mistake...
Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #38
Albert Mond

Nope. "Goth as Fuck" is now Perkygoth.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #39
Saya

Quote:
So does these mean we can't swear anymore or talk about sex organs? Because what else do we talk about when we're not tearing at each others throats?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #40
CrimsonPythonidae

Aww, I hope we can still swear . . I'll miss that
CrimsonPythonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #41
isobel black

I've lost my user title as well. I wonder if that would have happened if I hadn't posted in this thread.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #42
Tam Li Hua

I have to agree with Gnet here. Seeing Albert's obscene subtitle every time I log in is more than a little disturbing, simply because I don't want to think about Albert having any kind of sexual involvement with anyone.

It's quite obvious that he wasn't doing it out of respect for the homosexual community, or as an ode to a band he enjoys. He was doing it to be "Oh so shocking", which is extremely juvenile and immature. That's quite different from having an actual and even explicit discussion about sex.

/end $.02

Edit: That being said, I think that policing -can- be taken too far, and that "Gothic.net" needs to be careful when trying to walk the line between good discrepency and overlording.

Last edited by Tam Li Hua; 03-17-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added a comment
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #43
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
I have to agree with Gnet here. Seeing Albert's obscene subtitle every time I log in is more than a little disturbing, simply because I don't want to think about Albert having any kind of sexual involvement with anyone.

It's quite obvious that he wasn't doing it out of respect for the homosexual community. He was doing it to be "Oh so shocking", which is extremely juvenile and immature. That's quite different from having an actual and even explicit discussion about sex.

/end $.02
YOU'RE A THIRTY YEAR OLD MARRIED WOMAN.

You have taken part in discussions about dildos.

And yet seeing "Male sex organ licker" disturbs you? Really? Just because it was light hearted and not an actual discussion about sex?

I don't want to think about you fucking your husband, but I haven't reported any posts in which you have stated you have done so.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #44
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
He was doing it to be "Oh so shocking", which is extremely juvenile and immature.
Actually, that's pretty light humour on my watch. If it shocked you, then you're probably a naive bumpkin, who I'd have little consideration for in the first place. However, you must be rather imaginative, thinking graphically of myself engaging in fellatio at every sight of said subtitle.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #45
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
So does these mean we can't swear anymore or talk about sex organs? Because what else do we talk about when we're not tearing at each others throats?
No, it simply means that when asked by the site administration to do something or make some minor change, histrionic defiance isn't always the correct path to choose.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #46
Gothic.net

Quote:
I've lost my user title as well. I wonder if that would have happened if I hadn't posted in this thread.
The user level 'Goth as Fuck' was deleted. It wasn't personal. If you hadn't made the argument that it might be seen as offensive, then no, it probably wouldn't have been evaluated. However, you made a good point that it could be seen in a bad light, so the change was made.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #47
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
No, it simply means that when asked by the site administration to do something or make some minor change, histrionic defiance isn't always the correct path to choose.
I believe she was referring to the removal of 'Goth as Fuck'.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #48
Tam Li Hua

Saya: Re-read my post. I already stated that an actual discussion about sexual things is VERY different from Albert's old subtitle, and described why I feel that way.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #49
isobel black

Quote:
The user level 'Goth as Fuck' was deleted. It wasn't personal. If you hadn't made the argument that it might be seen as offensive, then no, it probably wouldn't have been evaluated. However, you made a good point that it could be seen in a bad light, so the change was made.

I did lose my personal user title as well...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #50
Saya

Quote:
I agree its fairly minor and not something big enough to get one's panties in a twist, but that goes both ways. I guess we're afraid now that we will be censored when before we were happy to police ourselves except in some really bad circumstances when we really didn't want a troll of epic proportions to be here at all, and even then a good number of people were against them being banned.

Quote:
Saya: Re-read my post. I already stated that an actual discussion about sexual things is VERY different from Albert's old subtitle, and described why I feel that way.
So because it was light humour and not a discussion? If you're immature enough to get offended by the phrase "male sex organ licker" then maybe you're not mature enough to be having sex.