Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Stormtrooper of Death

What got you into.........

I was popping this one around my head this morning and I thought I'd post it.
What band/event/etc got you into that music you listen to? How long ago was it?

The one thing that opened my mind to all kind of punk happened to me about 3-4 years ago. I bought a G.B.H box set becasue I liked the cover. As soon as I listened to the "Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne" EP, I was blown away. From that moment on I knew the kind of music/life I liked and wanted to live.

So what about you? This isn't justa bout punk or goth, but any music you like. Please share your stories.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Pyre

For metal, it was Dimmu Borgir.
For goth, it would probably be The Cure, then Bauhaus.
For industrial/EBM (which I don't listen to much anymore), I would say Funker Vogt.
If I listened to more punk it would be Operation Ivy.
New Wave: Depeche Mode.

The event? High school. Everyone listened to the same old crap, so I wanted to change it up and try something new. That's when Kazaa became my best friend.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
isobel black

For me it was Nine Inch Nails in the early nineties.

I got introduced to them through friends who were more into the alternative/grunge thing. I remember listening to Fixed in this guy's room after he just got it and being completely blown away. I think it's my favourite NIN album still.

From there I started looking into Industrial, and got into EBM and Darkwave, and Goth.

Nice idea for a thread!
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Stormtrooper of Death

Thanks isobel. I'm glad somebody actually responded to my thread! wwoooooo!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Devil's Darling

Well for me it was my mom :] When I was young she always made me listen to Janis Joplin,Led Zeppelin,Queen,Omega,Scorpions,Blood Sweat & Tears,etc.Then I grew up,went to school,meet my friends and got into new bands [the usual Metallica,Slayer,Judas Priest,Iron Maiden,Black Sabbath,AC/DC,Alice Cooper,etc] After 2 years or so I meet my best friend and she was most into black metal and she got me on Anorexia Nervosa,Dimmu Borgir,Marduk,Lord Belial,Gorgoroth....and I got into goth music because I stumbled upon some bands on the net and became interested :] first one was the Cure than Siouxsie and the Banshees,Specimen,Bauhaus,etc.
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Learing Cordelia

My lullaby when I was a baby was Sweet Child'o Mine - Gun 'n' Roses, one of my mom's favorite bands.
Learing Cordelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
badteccy

Honestly, and it sounds corny...but the music of Beck opened me up to a lot of shit.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
RozzVanian

This will sound so cliche and stupid, but it was The Cure and The Banshees that got me into the music I listen to today. I was 13 at the time, and I just LOVED The Cure, and I saw somebody label them as "goth". I knew what goth was at the time, and had heard that association, but at the same time I didn't feel that they were truly goth.

I read alot about the genre, and I was taken aback at how much it clicked with me and my personality. It was better than anything I'd ever heard. I felt I had wronged myself not discovering it sooner.

And that's sort of how I got where I am today.
RozzVanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Cicero

The first goth band I listened to was the Cure (goddamn, they seem to make a great gateway band), but I wouldn't say I was really into goth until my aunt lent me the 'Shake Some Action' compilation, which featured the Cure alongside a whole lot of new wave as well as the Sisters of Mercy, the Damned, the Cult, etc, etc. Loved it all and need more.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #10
L'Oiseau Noir

I'd have to say it was The Cure as well that got me into the music I listen to. I was about seven or so at the time, and my uncle would always play their stuff in the car and at his place. From there I branched into Siouxsie and the Banshees, then I moved into stuff like Specimen, 45 Grave, etc.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
Minyaliel

This is just sooo embarrassing... but in my earliest day, it was Within Temptation and HIM who introduced me to goth music. I didn´t even know what goth was before that. Then I saw someone labelling them "goth" and went to research. I fell in love with Siouxsie, Morrissey, Nick Cave and Voltaire. It went from there.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 AM   #12
Pyre

Within Temptation isn't something to be embarrassed about, they're pretty good, and other members here will agree (while still others will disagree and make fun of you). HIM, though, I hated them immediately.

It's amusing how, as Cicero pointed out, the Cure seems like most people's gateway band. It's probably because they are mainstream and get played on the radio, so everyone is already familiar with them.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Serren

Probably the Banshees to start off with. I'd liked Bauhaus for a long time but after seeing them live that really got me more into that sort of music.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
MIRON

45 Grave. First time I heard "Riboflavin..."
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
RozzVanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRON View Post
45 Grave. First time I heard "Ribiflavin..."
They're so fun and tongue-in-cheek.

TSOL and 45 Grave were two of the first bands I heard of in the horror punk/deathrock genre. Again, I was 13 at the time and my little mind was blown!
I'm talking about "Darker My Love" and "Dance With Me" TSOL, not their more punk side, and definitely not their weird glam phase.
RozzVanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
MOUSEBLOOD

IRON BUTTERFLY and some long forgotten punk band.

As a kid I was really into the heavy dark stuff... IRON BUTTERFLY was my favorite. Living on a ranch out in the middle of nowhere Nevada, I didn't have access to what was "going on" in the music world. I remember one summer an older cousin took me and my brother to a punk rock show in Phoenix. I remember thinking, "let's start a punk band that had the dark, heavy, spooky sound of IRON BUTTERFLY", a year later we were trying to play our first show, 30 years later we were still playing out every once in a while.
MOUSEBLOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #17
ZyklonB

I think mine was The Misfits, basically my gateway band. My cousin was in middle school and I was in 5th grade if I remember correctly. She showed me to them and as the years went by it just progressed from there. I really got into Industrial-metal before I got into goth rock, but once I heard Bauhaus one day I feel in love. That was probably 8th grade in middle school. Dark Entries is still my favorite Bauhaus song.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #18
Joker_in_the_Pack

Jello Biafra and the real Dead Kennedys. Not Back Stabber Ray and the Sellout Brigade that now tours under that stolen name.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #19
Arashi

I listen to mostly (female-lead) metal band and J-rock...
What got me into female-lead hard rock or metal, even though they obviously aren't metal, was Evanescence. I loved them for a while, but when they really began to suck with their newer stuff, I began to search for music with a similar feel to it. I found an enormous amount of amazing female-lead bands that could kick Evanescence in the ass any day.

J-rock.. Well, upon the recommendation of a friend, I listened to the band D'espairsRay and it was only one song before I fell in love. Even though D'espairsRay still remain my favorite band, once again I wanted music with a similar feel, and so that's what got me my J-rock obsession.

I don't really devotedly follow any genres other than the ones I just listed, so I just listen to whatever pleases me otherwise.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #20
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I suppose my first taste of Goth was The Cure but I didn't know it was goth or get into it until much later when I got Face to face by Siouxsie and the Banshees on a christmas CD along with Bauhaus, then a few Sisters of Mercy songs later I was quite hooked.

The same people who showed me all that also showed me Garbage and Emilie Simon whom I also loved. They basically paved the way for most of my current interests, but as I'm useless at finding music myself I was pretty much handed Alice in Chains, Tyr, Rin' , and Patrick Wolf by others.

Though I did sorta find Yoko Kanno and Shoji Meguro myself through Persona and Ghost in the Shell S.A.C
Old 04-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #21
SiouxsiePernova

Siouxsie and the Banshees were my gateway band to Goth, and their album "A Kiss in the Dreamhouse" still holds a special place in my heart for that reason.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
Agnelis

It all began with Cradle of Filth. a friend of mine made me listen to her Midian cassette (oh yeah some people still used that at the time) in the summer of 2001. It was instant love.

From there i first got into Black metal, then some years later followed by Death metal, power metal, extreme metal, etc. Now i listen to a lot of different styles of metal (and some bands acutally changed their styles quite a bit during the past decade).

I still consider Cradle of Filth as my favorite band mostly because it's an amazing band but also because of the nostalgia factor. People call it commercial, i don't mind, i love it and all all their songs
Agnelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #23
ZyklonB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey View Post
Yoko Kanno

She makes the best soundtracks <3

Cowboy Bebop anyone?
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #24
Underwater Ophelia

Garbage and the Cure.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
korinna5555

It was Marilyn Manson's autobiography, ironically.. he mentions Jeordie wearing a Bauhaus shirt, and so I started listening to Bauhaus.