Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Deadmanwalking_05

Homeschoolers Arrested in New York: Slavery Returns to Amerika

http://www.infowars.com/homeschooler...ns-to-amerika/

Infowars.com
January 6, 2009

In a move designed to send a message to parents, a Montgomery County, New York, couple were arrested and ticketed for homeschooling their children and failing to register their them with the school district.
featured stories Homeschoolers Arrested in New York: Slavery Returns to Amerika
featured stories Homeschoolers Arrested in New York: Slavery Returns to Amerika

News report on couple arrested for home-schooling.

“Richard Cressy, 47, and Margie Cressy, 41, both of the town of Glen, never registered their four children or their home-schooling curriculum with the local school district, said the Sheriff’s Office,” reports WRGB, a CBS affiliate in Albany, New York. “The Superintendent of the Fonda-Fultonville Central School District confirmed the four children, ranging in age from 8 to 14, had not been registered with the school district for the last seven years.”

The couple may lose custody of their children. The case has been turned over to the Montgomery County District

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
JCC

You fucking idiot, you need to register homeschooled children because otherwise there's no way of knowing whether they are receiving the education that they are entitled to. It's not a state initiative to fucking pry homeschooled children from their sobbing parents' grasp.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
You fucking idiot, you need to register homeschooled children because otherwise there's no way of knowing whether they are receiving the education that they are entitled to. It's not a state initiative to fucking pry homeschooled children from their sobbing parents' grasp.

But wouldn't you agree that is the end result though?

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
vindicatedxjin

This is actually absurd. JCC with all due respect, you weren't home schooled and probably don't know much about this subject so don't be so insensitive.

I didn't know that the laws in New york were so strict to actually go to the point of arresting parents for not going to THEM and getting permission to use a certain curriculum. I was home schooled during Elementary and through out High school. We were on a curriculum that was unit study based meaning that aside from the normal subjects of English, Math, and Science. Everything else was centered around a chosen subject, which could be chosen by me. So if I had the knack for studying all about the medieval ages. Then that would be my subject for History and Writing. And I would study solely on all things medieval for the next week. The subject would change every week. Are most "public" school curriculums like this? I don't think so, and if the people mentioned in New york had brought this up to be registered it would have probably received a big NO. I do realize that there are probably a bunch of crazies who homeschool they're kids with the wrong intentions... but I know for a fact (me being homeschooled and having many friends that were homeschooled) that it is very very, unjust to arrest and take away a parents custody of they're children just because they weren't registered with the state. I believe that the laws here in Texas make more sense. Because although it is required to take the mandatory tests (taks, psat,sat) you may still use whatever curriculum you choose, and law where the kids can't be out and about in certain hours still applies to home schooled kids as well. Regardless (as I have already mentioned in another thread on homeschooling in this forum) Home schooled kids have amazing reputations on getting into really good colleges with high grades. At the age of 16, I passed my colleges entrance exam with perfect 100's. I'm not trying to flaunt it, but it's true. All my homeschooled friends are attending either SMU or Baylor University. Which are major schools here in Texas. Whereas my public school friends have either dropped out, or are still in community college. Of course this is just the facts that I can give due to 'life experience' I cannot speak for all.
I just feel really angered over the fact that the poor parents got arrested. How can you even justify that?

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Uh, no. If your child isn't registered as being in education, homeschooled or otherwise, the state assumes that they are not being educated. Children have an inalienable right to competent education, and therefore you should register your fucking kids.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Uh, no. If your child isn't registered as being in education, homeschooled or otherwise, the state assumes that they are not being educated. Children have an inalienable right to competent education, and therefore you should register your fucking kids.
JCC, obviously a child should be educated. But why the hell does it matter what curriculum is used as long as the child is taking the required tests and passing? Isn't it the knowledge that matters? Unless these parents were arrested for wrong doings such as abuse, neglect, or just being plain crazy. There is absolutely NO good reason to take away they're rights as parents. Fuck that shit.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
JCC, obviously a child should be educated. But why the hell does it matter what curriculum is used as long as the child is taking the required tests and passing? Isn't it the knowledge that matters? Unless these parents were arrested for wrong doings such as abuse, neglect, or just being plain crazy. There is absolutely NO good reason to take away they're rights as parents. Fuck that shit.
Neglect? You mean like, neglecting to make sure the government knew their children were getting an education and neglecting to verify whether the curriculum they were teaching was actually worth shit?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
vindicatedxjin

Why should the government have to know that? Is it not enough to know that they have good grades off of the tests?

Bring Kontan Back
Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Solumina

If they aren't registered then they aren't taking the fucking tests and there is no way of monitoring progress to make sure that the kids are learning anything. I can't imagine that your school system didn't require approval for at home curriculum (which doesn't mean that it has to be exactly what they do in public schools and what you described seems well within the range of what is commonly accepted) chances are that you never noticed your parents putting in for approval as in most cases they can simply email it to the school system and approval or recommended changes will be emailed back.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Not by a long shot.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
Saya

Yeah forget the human trafficking and sex slavery that still exists in the West, this is the real return of slavery. WTF?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Why should the government have to know that? Is it not enough to know that they have good grades off of the tests?
What on earth do you think the administrative part of homeschooling is? It's not like they have to follow public school ver batim. They go to the district, or email them, whatever. The district gives them a list of general topics they need to topics and possibly some recommended material, with the word RECOMMENDED being emphasized here. Then they give you a schedule of tests. That's how we do it over in LAUSD, at any rate.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
gothicusmaximus

Ironically, this thread has managed to convince me that government oversight of homeschooled children should be increased tenfold.

Exhibit A: Vindicatedxjin.

This could have been prevented. I rest my fucking case.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Ironically, this thread has managed to convince me that government oversight of homeschooled children should be increased tenfold.

Exhibit A: Vindicatedxjin.

This could have been prevented. I rest my fucking case.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Even if the curriculum is of poor quality, the curriculum is only the minimum amount of possible work. Frankly if I were a parent, and I was homeschooling my children I would take the opportunity to go above and beyond the curriculum.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #16
Alan

You don't really know what slavery is, do you?

Hey, I've heard that evil Congress is prohibiting crossing state lines with weapons. IS THIS A RESURRECTION TO FEUDALISM?!
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
Despanan

I find it hilarious that Deadman's article about education spelled "America" as "Amerika".

...Because poor literacy will expose Obama's Amerika as the proto-fascist state it is.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go off and blog about Mirco$oft and Co$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #18
Despanan

Quote:
Alex Jones said the arrest and demand that parents turn their offspring over to the state is like a scene out of Planet of the Apes. In the cult classic, apes hunt humans and intern them in a slave gulag. Police and the CPS are acting like apes on the hunt.
Looks like Alex Jones should have had more governmental oversight of his schooling. I can't imagine parents being arrested and losing custody of their children after purposefully failing to register their curriculum seven years in a row having anything at all to do with super-evolved intelligent talking apes hunting down cave-men and one astronaut, in the future.

That's like saying: "Hey, you remember that homeless guy who wet himself on the subway? That was totally like that scene in Lord of the Rings where a last alliance of elves and men stood against Sauron's forces in the name of the free people of middle-earth!"
Quote:
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #19
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
Looks like Alex Jones should have had more governmental oversight of his schooling. I can't imagine parents being arrested and losing custody of their children after purposefully failing to register their curriculum seven years in a row having anything at all to do with super-evolved intelligent talking apes hunting down cave-men and one astronaut, in the future.

That's like saying: "Hey, you remember that homeless guy who wet himself on the subway? That was totally like that scene in Lord of the Rings where a last alliance of elves and men stood against Sauron's forces in the name of the free people of middle-earth!"
Or like saying "Yo, you know how we're hiking right now? This is totally like Lord of the Rings, let's have a long discussion about it so it can be written into a play."
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
PortraitOfSanity

I just had a mental image of the scene from Clerks 2 where they're making fun of LOTR, and I laughed my balls off.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
Despanan

Quote:
Or like saying "Yo, you know how we're hiking right now? This is totally like Lord of the Rings, let's have a long discussion about it so it can be written into a play."
Yeah what kind of a dumbass would do something like that?
Quote:
Old 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
JCC

Yo Despanan, I've decided recently that you're a total bro. It's weird to think that, considering where I stood six months ago. I feel like you are my barometer for my growth as a person.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #23
Despanan

Thanks bra.

You've actually come quite a ways in my estimation as well. When I first got here I thought you were just some kid who managed to get himself internet tough guy status by virtue of simply not being a total retard.

I'm glad to see I was wrong.
Quote:
Old 01-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
emeraldlonewoulf

update here

a curriculum has been submitted, and approved. read the bottom of the article.

Much ado about nothing? or shall we be outraged the system worked properly, for once? Perhaps arresting them was a bit much, but it worked out fine. The parents are obviously not doing anything detrimental to the kids, as the superintendent approved their program, and it was checked out without massive governmental interference.

I suppose it would be easier to judge if we knew more about the surrounding circumstances. It probably could have been taken care of with a simple visit from a school district official.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #25
Despanan

What, are you still talking about that?

This thread is now about JCC and I fursuiting up and buttfucking.

Get with the program.
Quote: