Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #51
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssmal
Also, if you are using that system, you could technically say that the band Evanescence is "goth" music, since it i sunder the catagory of gothic metal[/font].
Gothic metal has nothing to do with the goth subculture... And Evanescence is hardly metal anyways. That's for another thread though.

Quote:
Is that all you think the occult is? I am member of the occult community, and I have never prayed to baphomet or contacted spirits. I don't even believe in baphomet and the only thing to do with devil worship that I did was draw a upside down pentagram on a Pentacostal Church. Why don't you take some time to learn more about the people you are insulting before opening your mouth and proving just how stupid you really are.
...this should be fun x)
Old 09-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #52
Godslayer Jillian

You replied to my post of the occult, where I talked about my sperm being ectoplasmic, in a serious self-righteous way, and you call me an idiot?
What an idiot!
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #53
Cicero

Your ectoplasmic sperm is a very serious matter, Jillian!

(Though I must agree, this Abyssmal person is a total fuckwit)

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #54
Vyvian Blackthorne

Gah. Rather late to step into this argument, but here we go.

Quote:
This is a interesting concept. You are using the Amazon genres, I assume? In that case, I would have been right to say that Nox Arcana and Midnight Sydicate are "goth" music, since they are both under the catagory of gothic rock. Also, if you are using that system, you could technically say that the band Evanescence is "goth" music, since it i sunder the catagory of gothic metal
The amazon genres? And what are you implying with that? Amazon.com? No, I think she is 1,000,000,000,000 times more accurate than you. Gothic rock is the boarder of our subculture. Evanescence is not goth rock, nor gothic metill for that matter. Why?

I can tell you.
Gothic "Metill" (yeah I make fun of it by spelling it that way) is a Medevil form of rock; having nothing to do with gothic rock in the first place. That topic has been discussed so many more times. You'd not even come CLOSE to be believing how many times we've discussed it.

Evanesecne is both aesthetically and in styling "alternative" mainstream rock. The lyrics have nothing in common with either genres. :/

Quote:
So I must say, though I have been proven wrong on this site, that you are the one who is wrong, since I mentioned Nox Arcana, and your quote says "not a single band". I assume you meant Nox Arcana and Midnight Sydicate in this quote?
*Sigh*. She's not wrong by any means. You're mentioning bands rather mainstream compared to the original goth bands such as SexGang Children, Christian Death, and Specimen.

Plus:
Cicero's taste PWN Yours.

(GO JILLY! GO CICERO ^_^)

Quote:
Are you telling me that no goth likes liquor. I can mention plenty that people on this site have drunken: Absinthe, Bourbon, Vodka, Rum, Gin?
Nobody implied that. That's just as much of a generalization then saying we all drink Absinthe, Rum, Gin, etc. But you're making it seem like a requirment.

Quote:
I just mentioned what I like, not what I think goth music is.
I'm leaving someone else to this.

Quote:
Is that all you think the occult is? I am member of the occult community, and I have never prayed to baphomet or contacted spirits. I don't even believe in baphomet and the only thing to do with devil worship that I did was draw a upside down pentagram on a Pentacostal Church. Why don't you take some time to learn more about the people you are insulting before opening your mouth and proving just how stupid you really are
He didn't imply that. That's only his opinion; while I disagree as well I'm not sure it's safe to say he thinks that all people in the Occult are devil worshippers.

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #55
ForgetThisLostLenore

I personally think he's not very bright. But that's just my opinion.He'll probably respong that I am the idiot, not him. It's just that he keeps shoving his foot further and further down his own mouth until he has everyone annoyed at his ignorance.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #56
Valerius

It's Vyv to the rescue! Go Vyv! x)

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #57
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
It's Vyv to the rescue! Go Vyv! x)
Hear, Hear! Though not too many people have said much to this guy to get through his thick skull.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #58
Vyvian Blackthorne

Get out the cake. I love you all.

(All meaning the above five posters Including Cicero, Val, Jilly, and recent arrival Lenore )

Goth Forever
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #59
ForgetThisLostLenore

Thank you, that makes me feel much better!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #60
LadyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
For a more historicly specific answer: The whole name issue sort of is like a abnormal game of telephone. The first goths the germanic goth (just plain goth) tribes of Europe were the ones who sacked rome. The Ostrogoths and the Vistigoths split off back in the 3rd century. In the general area to where they expanded to (which covered at least half of Europe) came about gothic architecture in the 12th century. Then as we approach our modern era we come across gothic fiction which is essentialy a cross of horror and romance this is essentialy the most basic element of what modern goth is. Goth fiction eventualy dies out in the early 20th century only to come back half a century later when it is revived by a movment defined by it's sound that evolved from punk better known as gothic rock. Now into the 21st century we see a new genre known as Darkwave the only genre other than gothic rock that is recognized by the Goth community as goth (though controversy exists as to if it is just called darkwave to avoid being called gothic rock). This was my version of the smallest possible way to explain how goth came to be, thank you.
I have a question. How did gothic architecture end up lending its name to gothic literature? Did gothic literature first materialise in the same part of the world that the Ostrogoths and Vistigoths move to? Is that why it was called "gothic"?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #61
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
You are what you think you are. What an true statement!
That's supposed to be "A," because "T" is a consonant. You use "an" when the word following it begins with a vowel like A, E, I, O, U...

As in, "an apple," or "an umbrella."

Sorry 'bout being so nitpicky, but as my title says, I'm a grammarian-in-training.

That, and you sort of bug me Abyssmal... sorry.

(Hopefully I've got those right, otherwise English Grammar for Dummies has lied to me, and my grammarian training has been fruitless)!
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #62
biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Hmmm... perhaps the music the entire subculture is based upon? Perhaps music that falls under the genre of gothic rock?

Here, I'll help you out if wikipedia is too difficult to handle:
- Bauhaus
- Christian Death
- Siouxsie and the Banshees
- Sex Gang Children
- Specimen
- Sisters of Mercy
- The Cure
- ... And hundreds upon hundreds of other bands, including not a single one that you mentioned.

Try a little research before slapping a label upon yourself next time, if anything it'll save you a few accounts on sites like this one.
You took the words from my mouth
Anyways, in order to be a goth, you must at least know about goth music and like it. That is where the subculture started. Sorry if I repeated what others have said, but it is for the sake of emphasis. Hope you learned something about goth music today, you should check it out.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #63
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust
I have a question. How did gothic architecture end up lending its name to gothic literature? Did gothic literature first materialise in the same part of the world that the Ostrogoths and Vistigoths move to? Is that why it was called "gothic"?
Gothic literature brought the nostailgia from that Post-Reinesscence Architecture as strong images of castles, churches, etc. as the icons and key moods to the settings toward horror and/or romantic stories.

(pardon my spelling, I'm a bit upset).

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #64
LadyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne

(pardon my spelling, I'm a bit upset).

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever

Oh, not at me, I hope. Did I ask a stupid question?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #65
ForgetThisLostLenore

Hope you don't mind me asking, and you don't have to tell if it's personal, but whatever is the matter?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #66
Vyvian Blackthorne

G_G Oh dear no, just personal problems.
Goth Forever
Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #67
ForgetThisLostLenore

Ah, well I'm sorry, and I hope things get better!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #68
HellforgedX

Quote:
You are what you think you are. What an true statement!
Listen, kid! I, too, can read an thesaurus!
And I know you are, but what am I?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #69
Valerius

Yeah, I love you too Vyv!

I'm feeling left-out of the fun, soooo...

What is an thesaurus?

Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #70
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
What is an thesaurus?
'Tis was the time of The Saurus,
who lived in the sign of the aquarius
It was a book, upon one could look
and behold, words of meaning
as the world might have seen it
for it was, quite brilliantly, thesaurus.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #71
Methadrine

(ofcourse I knew of the wrongful use of "a" and "an" but I was in the mood for writing a small poem)

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #72
Valerius

Yes, yes, if you get my pun!

Now, it is my turn to make an uber gothic poem.

An thesaurus I really do seek
For no other words I cannot speak
Without much to befuddle
Akin to being thrown into a puddle
Oh where oh where is an thesaurus?
I think one was eaten by a tyrannosaurus!
If I had one wish to make
It would be for an thesaurus for me to take.

Okay, everybody, crappy poem time! Type down your 5 minute poems here.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #73
Abyssmal

As for the thesuarus discussion, first I do not read them, and I am not very good at english grammer.

To HellforgedX: "I know you are, but what am I" is only something a little child should say in the most base of arguments.

[/QUOTE=LadyLucretia]The amazon...genre...system? Are you fucking serious? Amazon just emailed me to tell me about a great deal on a HIM album. Past few albums I've bought on amazon: Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Fields of the Nephilim, and Strange Boutique. And they are now recommending me HIM, because they clearly have such accurate genre knowledge ::rolls eyes::[/quote]

Oh, is that why there is a HIM banner on the top of the website?

By the way, if you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NactSorcier
Where is "here"? If you mean this forum or the Goth subculture as a whole, sure, in a sense Goth bands are mainstream, but they certainly aren't in popular culture. Again, mincing words...
Here meaning the town I currently live in. (And it is a small town)

To Delicti: That link itself mentions that the bands you all have been mentioning are from the BEGINNING of the goth culture. Any newer bands for me to compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
Dude, wearing raver pants with combat boots accented by shitty band shirts, doesn't make you 'goth'. Neither does dabbling in the 'occult', or listening to shitty maintsream bands like Slipknot, Linkin Park, or Dimmu Borgir.

PS. are you one of the idiots wearing lipstick in this photo?

I don't wear band shirts, I wear simple black shirts with nothing on them and occasionally a shirt with anime or manga pictures on them. I also don't wear any makeup.

I don't "dabble" in the occult, either. I fully practice it.

plus, considering on how you love commenting on my grammer and spelling, I'll give you a tip: Mainstream is not spelled maintsream.

I also notice that you only mention Slipknot, Linkin Park, and Dimmu Borgir. (All of which I will admit is mainstream.

Also, in the matter of the occult: If anybody has Internet Explorer 7, then open this site in it, and you will find that on the tab is a Ankh, which is a occult symbol. Goth has nothing to do with the occult, huh?
Abyssmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #74
delicti

Quote:
To Delicti: That link itself mentions that the bands you all have been mentioning are from the BEGINNING of the goth culture. Any newer bands for me to compare?
http://www.strobelight-records.com/s...records_ok.htm
http://www.inthenighttime.it/menu.htm

There's a good start. Why don't you pick up some magazines and look around yourself?

http://www.dropdeadmagazine.com/
http://www.animespresso.com/unscene/

It's not that hard.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #75
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
[color=Purple][font=Book Antiqua]

Oh, is that why there is a HIM banner on the top of the website?

By the way, if you couldn't tell, that was sarcasm.
]
We have no control whatsoever over what is posted for the banners. The gnet admin are not exactly attentive.

Quote:
Here meaning the town I currently live in. (And it is a small town)

For Newer bands look into Darkwave

Quote:

I don't "dabble" in the occult, either. I fully practice it.

plus, considering on how you love commenting on my grammer and spelling, I'll give you a tip: Mainstream is not spelled maintsream.

Big deal occult or not goth has no designated religion. I myself am Roman Catholic.
Quote:
I also notice that you only mention Slipknot, Linkin Park, and Dimmu Borgir. (All of which I will admit is mainstream.
This sentence really makes no sence in the least bit.
Quote:
Also, in the matter of the occult: If anybody has Internet Explorer 7, then open this site in it, and you will find that on the tab is a Ankh, which is a occult symbol. Goth has nothing to do with the occult, huh?
Again goth has no designated religion. Could somone please post a link on the Voltaire interview on what is goth since I can't go to youtube on a school computer. If anything the Ankh has to do with Eygptian religion not the occult. What if it were a gothic cross instead of a gothic Ankh would you then say that goth is a purely Christian subculture? You're just pointing out miniscule things in a pathetic attempt to prove your non existant point. If anything you appear to be turning into an angry little child with your posts as they are becomming less and less relavent. I would advise you to quit while you are ahead, before you start whining like a spoiled little brat saying you'll sic your older brother on us. We can keep this up all day, right now I'm posting this from a english debate class so I could use the practice.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote