Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
deathbecomesme

German law may ban video games

Quote:
Developing or even playing videogames in Germany could lead to imprisonment if a bill before the parliament there is passed.

Coming in the wake of a public outcry in Germany about reported links between gaming and violence, the bill under debate would outlaw the depiction of violent acts committed against human characters. It would apply to any video title played or distributed on German soil. The legislation effectively would put a ban on most first-person shooter, action and real-time strategy titles.

If enacted, the law could see many Hollywood franchise titles banned from distribution in Europe's largest vidgame market.

Popular movie franchise titles falling under the violent category, including the "Star-Trek" series, "The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II" and "Scarface: The World Is Yours," likely would be outlawed.

Germany already has some of the world's strictest laws limiting violence in vidgames.

Ironically, Germany's gaming scene plays host to major video tournaments where "Counter-Strike," "Quake" or other titles are played in arenas attended by thousands of spectators. But the large screens at what is seen as a major spectator sport in Germany cannot depict bloodletting during "Counter-Strike" or other first-person shooter battles.

The bill was introduced late last year after 18-year-old Sebastian Bosse shot up a high school in Emsdetten, Germany, injuring 37 before fatally turning the gun on himself. According to reports and police officials, the shooting was carried out methodically, as if Bosse were trying to advance to the next level in a vidgame. The investigation that followed revealed Bosse spent most of his waking hours playing "Counter-Strike."

The incident was followed by a post on a videogame forum that included a death threat. According to police officials, the threat was made by someone who said he wanted to murder school pupils. The perpetrator remains at large.

For German politicians who drafted the legislation, the incidents were seen as a last straw. Since Bosse reportedly was addicted to vidgames and spent his waking hours gaming, the violent link is clear, German politicians and officials say.

According to Andreas Fess, a major in the crime prevention unit of the Bund police department, which is lobbying for the legislation, a public survey found most Germans feel that violent vidgaming and the school shooting were linked, and they support banning the titles.

"It is always young men who commit these kinds of crimes, and it is always young men who play these kinds of games," Fess said. "They play more videogames than they watch TV or films."

So why not outlaw other media, such as violent movies with the German equivalent of R ratings, or gangster hip-hop music? The difference, Fess said, is that vidgames cross the line because the player is pulling the trigger.

"In a film, you only watch the scenes," Fess said.

Frank Sliwka, chairman of Deutscher eSport-Bund, a German electronic sports association, said vidgames are being unjustly singled out.

"Politicians have to do something, so they say, 'Let's have stronger laws for games,' " Sliwka said. "No one asked, 'Where did Bosse get the gun in the first place?' "

Violent vidgames also are attracting the attention of European politicians outside Germany. The European Commission has begun an investigation of violent videogames and their alleged ill effects. The EC study is backed by British European Parliament member Michael Cashman, who seeks to create a continentwide game ratings system.

But Sliwka said politicians are merely playing on voters' fear and lack of knowledge.

"Videogames are new, and the politicians don't know what they are," Sliwka said. "They have never played the games."
SOURCE

Well whats every ones thoughts on this?
...the costume without the brain."
--Peter Murphy
deathbecomesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
jacquelinetm

Wow, that really blows for the present and the future generation of die-hard German gamers.

"Don't point the finger at me
I am only a rat in a maze like you
And only the dead go free"
-- Roger Waters
4:41AM (Sexual Revolution)
The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
jacquelinetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
killer_asian_Dax

I think they're kind of overreacting. I understand their concern, but like a sentence in the article said, "Nobody asked where did he get the gun from?"

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
DarkHeartedDemoness

People need to take fucking responsibility for their own actions. I am so sick of hearing "video games made me do it".
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
luna-

Videogames are not to blame. Weak minded and impressionable people are. Damn, this makes me angry. Individuals are the ones who should choose between reality and fantasy. No one forces them to damage other people, and particularly, NOT videogames.
luna- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
BlackDahlia

I think they're looking at this the wrong way...violent young men are the source of violence, not games. Unless of course someone was crushed to death under a huge crate packed with PS3s. :P
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDahlia
I think they're looking at this the wrong way...violent young men are the source of violence, not games. Unless of course someone was crushed to death under a huge crate packed with PS3s. :P
The Japanese are really taking this video game system wars thing a little too seriously.

Video games have been shown to actualy help release agression. I know plenty of gamers over in Germany through the video games I play which if anything unite the world, heck I've met people in Turkey, China, Australia, Columbia, Brazil etc.

There was always violence before video games.

People tend to overreact to video game violence. I once heard of this one video game that was banned in the 70s because it was too violent. The game was where you drove around a rectangle and tried to run over as many white lines (people) as possible and after you did a cross appeared where they died.

I wonder if the German history has anything to do with this, like the cold war left east Germany deprived of video games and early video game violence which when they were finaly exposed to it it was like running out of a hot kitchen and jumping into a frozen lake. In a far more extreme but less likely idea perhaps they are afraid of raising another Hitler. It could also be possible that they are underexposed to street violence in comparison to here. Just a few ideas to get the brain going.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
Nah, I'd probably chalk it up to another generational gap problem. They haven't played videogames and aren't exposed to them. The only images they see are people's guts being strung out through their nose or exploding in a bloody pixelated mess. Therefore, mind makes the link.

...Sort of seems like the reaction to rock music when it came out and every other new form of entertainment, negative and highly suspecting.
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
Midnight_Fantasy

Why don't they just go all the way and ban movies, TV shows & books then, they contain violence.....Heck why don't they ban the bible while their at it, so many wars have been started over religion.
Midnight_Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
killer_asian_Dax

People are so used to not taking responsibility for their own actions and not holding others accountable for their own as well, that it seems kind of obvious that they'd blame videogames before they blame the person who commited the act. What a sad state of affairs we have come to when a videogame is blamed for children being shot in school and not the person who did it.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
Geo_Toni

Oh bloody hell! How stupid!
Reminds me of the nonsence over this new game which was released in the UK a few months back of the kids in this game being picked on (the nerds etc) and the nerds get their own back. i forget the title. But it caused alot of madness.
If they ban games, they might as well ban everything!
People need to take responsibily!!!
Geo_Toni is offline   Reply With Quote