Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #51
Heatherzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor_Sadomachism
Agreed. Enough with the teen angst! And stuff... Umm yeah first of all... this is the truth. The world is surrounded and made by Math. Someone had to know the equation to measure the l and w = h of a room. Someone had to know Math to make a piece of machinery to cut the pieces. Someone had to know Math to tell how big the piece of metal is to cut off for that Bat Mobile you've always wanted. Someone had to know Math to even make that machine in the first place. Someone had to know Math to make that...

sewing machine
the machine to make the sewing machine
machine to cut metal to make something, computer, car, Ipod, dildos, you name it! Did I mention someone had to know math to calculate the price of those Cyberlox you just brought? I could go on and on but I forgot. There's a lot more to it.
Maths might be necessary but did they have to make it so god damn complicated. All we do is learn out of a book and the teacher I have at the moment isn't much help. I swear my maths class is about half the size it was at the start of the year due to people dropping out into the other maths class. I have my midyear exam on Thursday and I have no idea what I'm doing. I love maths as a subject but I wish I had someone to explain it to me properly.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 AM   #52
DeathChii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyra Runa
I said the same thing when I was your age. Math is used everyday of your life you just don't think about it as math.

Though I never did understand about theorems and all that crap in geometry. Why does line A intersect with line B? Because I took my pencil and I drew it that way that's why. Needless to say my teacher and I had many, err, umm, discussions. Good man though. I managed to pass despite my attitude.
See I don't mind the knowledge and application part of math
But I'm HORRIBLE at communication! I mean wtf is that? They ask you like "Why does x + y = z" and I'm just like "uh... cause the person who invented math said so?" gaaah and recently they added a TIPS section to math where they ask you this completeley irrelevant question that's supposed to make you think "out of the box". It screwed me over so much! Example (this is what I got on one of my math tests):
Knowledge and Understanding = 98%
Application = 87%
Communication = 30%
TIPS = 0%
Seriously! It's like an evil plot to make us fail!! T___T
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #53
Dancing_in_rain

I know that I am incredibly privileged to go to the school I do. We've got a laptop program, the school is private, all-girls and has relatively good academics. The fact remains that I really despise my school. I've wanted to switch for the last three years. However, I know that academically, my school is the best option for me. I'll just have to live with it for another two years. What I hate mainly is the social environment and the hypocrisy. So. Ten lies they've told me.
1. Everyone is treated equally
Uh huh. Right. That's why I practically get sent to the counselor for wearign fishnet armwarmers on free dress while the Misses Prep are allowed to walk around in their glorified belts.
2. We value everyone's opinion and are always willing to hear someone else's point of view
Hence my being bashed when I express my opinion on issues such as abortion, child soldiers, euthanasia and homosexual marriage (a biggie here in Canada)
3. We celebrate diversity here at ---school name---
Especially diversity in the classrooms eh? That's why so many people wear the same clothes and look down at those who aren't wearing Abercrombie and Fitch, American Apparel, American Eagle or Urban Outfitters.
4. Any recommendations that may help to make the school more like the way you would like it will be taken into account
Which is why my gentle recommendation that people outside the private school sector be invited to our dances and Cotillion was totally laughed at.
5. Everyone gets the same education at this school
Liars. You get what you put in. If you couldn't care less about biology and don't do any work for it, you're not going to learnt he same amount as the person who works their little butt off to scrape an 80% in the course.

"The education you get here will really prepare you for the real world. When you graduate from ---school name---, innumerable doors are open to you."
This has got to be the biggest lie ever. They are not in any way preparing us for the real world. For sure, in the "real world", people will pat your back and ask about your feelings if they think you're upset. In the real world, peopel tell you to deal. Not to take the rest of the day off and maybe see the counselor.

Oh and Harry...I hear you about quadratics. Barf.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #54
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
Chemistry is used by only by the ultra cool wannabe scientists....like me!!!
And chemistry is everywhere and is very important...unless you like ignorance of the world around you.
Well, since you had to go and say I must be ignorant if I don't agree, now I'm challenging you to point out the presence and importance of chemistry on this forum. After all, it's everywhere, right? And it's VERY important, so you should have no problem with this one. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #55
biohazard

All of those are true for me, but the biggest lie, by far, is that the school has a friendly enviroment and that everyone is friendly. I go to a "rich kid" school and it is a very bad place for me. It is full of preps and stuck-up rich kids who think they are better than you. I have always tried to avoid them and have always hated them.
biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #56
Clockwork

High schools are so flawed that they compliment the real world quite nicely. Lies, staff bias, people seeking control, senseless ridicule. That's what it teaches you.

I'm glad for the kids in Guatemala that are getting educations - at that level, it is quite necessary. In America, elementary school is quite necessary; it's important to be able to read and do simple math. Junior high is also important, it builds upon the basic skills previously learned.

But once you get into high school, the skills they force you to learn are sometimes so obscure, there's hardly a point to it. Whole classes of students here are being taught how to convert moles of nitrogen into liters of hydrogen chloride - yes, that might interest some future chemists, but just HOW common an occupation is that? I say it's not so important that it should have such a great effect on one's GPA, which is essentially the number upon which the entire educational world judges a person and accordingly determines his or her fate.

High schools and colleges quantitize humanity. The only purpose they serve is to continue their existence, and they do this through grants, diplomas, standardized tests, and letter grades. Perhaps once, when the society was generally uneducated, it was a very useful tool, but they've lost sight of things now. They DON'T teach you how to do taxes or how any of the modern devices we use today work. Most teachers are lazy and give you an assignment so that you can copy answers out of the book, they don't teach - and the ones that DO teach focus on unimportant matters, and often take their occupation so seriously that your worth as a human depends only on your percentage in the class.

High schools don't recognize people with actual talent, they only like those that are good at school. It's come to the point that they only take in students to shove some information at them, bothering on occasion to see that they actually learn, understand, and remember the information, then they slap on a grade and shove them to college or the military or the real world.

The greatest wrong, I think, is that the education system doesn't care what you learn as a person; it only cares about the esteem it receives, and that it keeps on existing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
The biggest lie was that they encouraged kids to think and be creative, where in reality high schools do just the opposite.

As far as their usefulness, unfortunately, they are like college - just a set of hoops ye have to jump through so the powers that be know yer able to follow orders well enough to do what they tell you.

It makes both institutions a necessity, but for all the wrong reasons.
I agree wholeheartedly with you, CptSternn.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #57
Cyntrox

"You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert."

Oh, and I love you Clockwork.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #58
Clockwork

Aw, I love you too Cyntrox.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #59
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good goth! Clockwork!!! You're finally back we adore you! Do you remember me (it's Vyv). I MISSED YOU LIKE HELL! I did something you might like to see!!!
Goth Forever
Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #60
thedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven de Sade
I think the biggest lie is "There are no dumb questions."
In my first AP class, the teacher looked a student square in the eye and told him not only were there stupid questions, but stupid children with a never ending supply of them.

Although I dont approve of public humiliation, this student was rediculously disrespectful.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #61
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
(it's Vyv)
No shit

Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #62
Vyvian Blackthorne

GOD CYNTROX I was not expecting that I AM LEABVING HERE NOW BUT BEFORE I GO...
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload...9-7712a0fb0604

Goth Forever
Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #63
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
Good goth! Clockwork!!! You're finally back we adore you! Do you remember me (it's Vyv). I MISSED YOU LIKE HELL! I did something you might like to see!!!
Goth Forever
I was... missed? *thinks* So this is what it feels like, to have a heart.
And how could I ever forget you, Vyv? =)

[/derailing topic] GRR SKOOL SUX
Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #64
Vyvian Blackthorne

God I think I just had some kind of break down. I apologise for my previous post displaying my sister's Halloween costume. I just couldn't hold myself. Now, Yes Clockwork, you were most definatley missed. I actually made (on photoshop) a collage of your eyes from the displayed photo you gave. As soon as I am able to imageshak-it I'll show you. I am doing photoshop/MS paint pictures of a lot of Gnetters. Nice Goggles, by the way. =) *shocked not to see anyone commenting on your pic*
Goth Forever
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #65
Aaroneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae
My language teacher is like that. And they let her teach people of 17-18 years old who are going to get into University. She gave me bad marks because she said that she couldn't understand what I wrote, that the words were too elaborate for the situation. My parents had to complain and everything, and things turned out well in the end, but I was so annoyed...

Trust me, in Spain, the educational system is absolute RUBBISH. There are no exams to separate good student from bad students (like there are, for example, in Britain) and I have had to be stuck with people who don't know anything and don't care through all my life. They're making the level go lower because they need to get people out of school, and they want their statistics of scholar failure to decrease; so in a couple of years, people will be able to enter university with 3 subjects failed.

I finished high school last month. Tomorrow I'm doing an exam to enter University, and luckily, I will not have to cope with this shit any longer
I'd hate to tell you, but it's the same "lower-the-standards" attitude in the good ol'U.S.&A. Even in my current private school, the overall quality of work is decreasing more with every year. $10,000 to go to a school that is no different than a free public one...

The only thing I can say is that I will forever be grateful for AP courses.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #66
Edward Strange

Ahaha, the acronym ACHIEVEMENT.
Although I may have spelt that wrong.

*Coughcoughcough*

T is for team-work people!

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #67
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
I'd hate to tell you, but it's the same "lower-the-standards" attitude in the good ol'U.S.&A. Even in my current private school, the overall quality of work is decreasing more with every year. $10,000 to go to a school that is no different than a free public one...

The only thing I can say is that I will forever be grateful for AP courses.
Here, private schools are actually WORSE than the public (though people will not admit it). To be a teacher in a public school you need to pass University and an exam they give you in the end so that you can become an official employee. Teachers in private schools pass University but do not have to do this test, because it is the Catholic Church who picks them up for the job on their own accord (of course, choosing those who know influent people or who fit with their conservative ideas). So, in my country, all those people paying lots of money for privated education (and added bonus for uniforms, etc...) are actually recieving a worse education. [Points finger at them and laughs] Just that everyone thinks that as you're paying for it, it has to be better. [Laughs harder]
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #68
Aaroneet

You've got it. That's the story with my private school. Ripoff, ain't it?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #69
Linen

My aunt & uncle to my mom when trying to convince us to move down here:
"There are really good schools in the South!"

HA.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #70
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
You've got it. That's the story with my private school. Ripoff, ain't it?
You're not the ripoff, it's the people who allow this system to continue like that. So I correct: [Points finger and laughs at everyone but Aaroneet because he's cool]

By the way, are you a christian? If you're not, how do you cope? I have never been in a private school, but I have friends who have, and the whole thing looks pretty scary for an agnostic like me... (Plus, I think it must be one the less goth-friendly places ever, am I wrong?)
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #71
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary
Anybody else ever wonder why public schools teach you chemistry but not how to do your taxes, except taxes are mandatory and chemistry is never used by anybody ever?
Actually, my school offers about 4 different business classes, any one of which would teach you how to do you taxes (and balance a checkbook, and manage stocks...) There are also several "lifeskills" classes, which, obviously, aim to teach students things that help in everyday life... and this is a very small public school, so I'm not quite sure where you're coming from.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #72
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
Actually, my school offers about 4 different business classes, any one of which would teach you how to do you taxes (and balance a checkbook, and manage stocks...) There are also several "lifeskills" classes, which, obviously, aim to teach students things that help in everyday life... and this is a very small public school, so I'm not quite sure where you're coming from.
Hey CircleV! Long time no chat.

ANYway, I think what he was saying is that the courses should be mandatory. You just said that your school offers the courses, so I assume they are not required.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #73
Aaroneet

I was raised Jewish, and became agnostic. My school isn't all that preachy, but my previous school had outstanding students. At least in my class; we were by far the most advanced. It's not "goth-friendly"; "goth" translates as emo. If you dress in all black, you must cut yourself, want to commit suicide, and write crappy poetry about how much life sucks.

That's one of the reasons why I came to this site.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #74
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Hey CircleV! Long time no chat.

ANYway, I think what he was saying is that the courses should be mandatory. You just said that your school offers the courses, so I assume they are not required.
In that case, I disagree. Advanced math and science courses teach students how to think analytically quickly and precisely-- something that is difficult to learn otherwise. If you want to learn how to do your taxes, all you need to do is attend an hour-long class at your community college.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #75
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary
Well, since you had to go and say I must be ignorant if I don't agree, now I'm challenging you to point out the presence and importance of chemistry on this forum. After all, it's everywhere, right? And it's VERY important, so you should have no problem with this one. Good luck!
Yes it is everywhere... tell me a substance known by man that isn’t made out of chemicals?
And it is very important….everything you do is governed by a chemical reaction or a property of a chemical, without chemicals we have nothing.
Chemistry is important to this forum as without an understanding of it we would not have computers or the internet.
Of course we can always live in such a way that we don’t care how anything works and get other people to sort out science related problems and solutions. But then we can also get people to sort out our tax’s.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote