Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
bluesmuse

Bonjour, mes amies - c'est ma premiere!

Hello -- I figured it was time I said something besides just eavesdropping.

My name is Elizabeth, and I'm a Master of English graduate student lost in the heartland; I'm planning on declaring my concentration in Gothic fiction. In academia, I believe the Gothic is officially acknowledged within the Romantic Era, but there's some dispute on that at my university. I think I'm a first for them :o) . . . nothing like popping an old virgin's cherry! (heh heh heh)

Anyway, what I'm doing is not exactly all about what most people consider Goth(ic) --
although I've been wearing the "colors" for years (ie.,black with anything).
Many who read and write about Gothic Fiction, or study it (in a scholarly way)
seem to want to distance themselves from the contemporary Gothic
culture, but I believe there is a connection, and scholars & Goths need to embrace.

Consequently, with this weird "schizismatic" niche I seem to find myself in,
I'm not sure I fit in anywhere, but I will continue to reach out my hand and
call out into the abyss and hopefully someone will call back.

Amour, mes amies --
Elizabeth
bluesmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:44 AM   #2
Magpie_Tendencies

Hey another Elizabeth!! Welcome!!

Sorry, I get excited when people have the same name as me - even if it is a common name .

Welcome Elizabeth and enjoy your stay. If you like, you can answer some of the questions provided so we can learn a little more about you.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #3
succubus,queenofvampires

Bonjour, Elizabeth!! Welcome to Gnet!

succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #4
bluesmuse

I guess, right here/right now - it is all about me

I am a professional singer/songwriter, a poet & writer of short fiction; I've completed my BA and am currently back in school to get a MAE. I am married & and have three children (18, 16, & 6) -- here's the rest:

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job): I (as I said in my first post & again above) am a Master of English student, and that's a job in itself; hobby-wise, if & when I ever have enough free time for it, I shall again be writing poetry, short stories; go back to singing for a living, making soft-culture dolls, watercoloring, creating ceramic mermaids, and a shitload of other bonafide, useless, but satisfying time wasters.

2. Where are you from? Detroit, MI

3. Who is your favorite author? MZB, Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite, Christina Rossetti,Emily Bronte, Maguire, and recently Elizabeth Kostova -- that's all I can think of right now.

4. What are your favorite films? Wow! Recently, as juvenile as it seems -- KING KONG - But, then I'm a sap for "fun" stuff, so I like everything from "Bewitched" to "Mirrormask"

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? I had the Young Rascal's "Groovin"
but now I think I'd ask for Evanescence's "Wake Me Up" played -- but I don't think I'll ever marry again -- I look at it this way; there's only one way outta this marriage -- one of us must die!

6. At your funeral? Evanscence's "Hello" - and then Barbra Streisand's "I've Been here," and outside of that I think I'd like Loreena McKinnett's "Danté's Prayer"

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? I wanna be blown-up -- no, seriously -- I will probably die of a broken heart because of all the sorrows in the world and what it's done to my psyche, and the madness, caused by governmental corruption that's consumed the one whom I love most.

8. What kind of casket would you want? A tisket a tasket a green & yellow casket -- LOL -- I've actually thought about this, and I want a humongous tombstone with an angel, as people peruse the graveyard, I want them to be able to pop a quarter in a slot (for gravesite upkeep) which will play a video of my life.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? A baggy pair of ripped black parachute pants, and a sequined, bead-fringed cobalt blue flapper dress.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? My little Grandma Nellie

11. What's your favorite band? Don't you mean who's my favorite band (since it is composed of humans?) -- Sorry, it's late & I'm getting petty -- Basically, I have favorite songs, not necessarily bands, but I guess, right now: Evanescence, MCR, Karrin Allyson, Sting, Madeline Peyroux, Etta James, B.B. King, Aretha, Ani DiFranco, Janis * Courtney & HOLE from "Live Thru This" days . . .

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? I graduated with an Interdisciplinary Humanities BA, Magna Cum Laude; presently I'm working on my Master of English Literature degree, with an emphasis on Gothic Studies (see "ma premiere" post) .... ad nauseum ....

13. Why did you join? Working on a bibliography of WOMEN'S GOTHIC FICTION and found the site thru my research -- and then realized that I write short stories and poetry and hope to be able to include some of it on this website.

I look forward to stimulating corespondence from similar minds

Very truly yours,
Eliza
Old 03-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
bluesmuse

Hey, thanks for the nod gotta go it's almost daylight -Eliza
Old 03-11-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
bunnicula

Hi! Welcome. I am new too, but I am a grad student too, so I feel your pain. Wow! Grad school AND kids! I can't even imagine....
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #7
bluesmuse

Bunnicula, (read the book -- I love your name!) I try not to imagine anything, except maybe the International Gothic Association's 2007 conference next June in France. :o) - Eliza
Old 03-11-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
edible_eye

you only need one intro. thread.

really.

welcome.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
WolfMoon

Welcome Bluesmuse.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote