Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
OnyxBat

Smile Anime

Can anyone give me animes similar like black butler and pandora hearts.
Thanks, I'm bored out of my mine and have nothing to watch oh and also a manga if theres not a anime.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Cat Stark

I am more of a manga person myself, but I will give it a shot.
I like older anime like Big O, and Cowboy Bebop. I also like Case Closed and a few others I can not remember the names of.
Cat Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Murder.Of.Crows

Oh, so essentially Americanized anime. I apologize for my bluntness, but toonami and adult swim have pissed me off too many times.

Go to hulu.com -browse tv-anime, sample whatever the selections have to offer, there is good bit... Other than that, ill try to get you an..
CROW'S APPROVED ANIME LIST lol. once again, sorry, anime is rotting my brain. it was the mere coincidence this question was asked at this time, that made me excited.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
OnyxBat

LOL crow, thanks!
Namcud: I also asked for a manga and most people read the manga and then see the anime. Thanks I'll check that one out.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Corpsey

http://eatmanga.com/Manga-Scan/

Go there pick a Manga and then we can discuss this in a literature section. Until then look for all of our reccomendations for Anime in the Games section of this site.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
OnyxBat

Thanks! I already picked one, D. gray man.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Boris_The_Fop

hmmm..anime that is similar to Kuroshitsuji (black butler) and Pandora Hearts. I think I might have a few suggestions, I'm more of a manga fan myself but whatever

Le portrait de petite cossette- it has the whole victorian thing going on but with more j-horror and mystery elements and it's only 3 episodes long.

Godchild/the cain saga by Kaori Yuki- It's a manga but it's a fantastic read recommended for those who like victorian-era stories with action and mystery.

Zombie Loan – Has a girl with eyes from a death god helping out these two “zombies” pay off their loan at a company and become human again.

XXXHOLiC-one of my all time faves! the story revolves around a boy named Watanuki who is constantly followed around by annoying spirits. One day he finds a shop with a mysterious shop owner called yuuko. She says that she can grant his wish of getting the spirits to stop following him IF he works at her shop part-time

Tactics-a mystery series that revolves around a boy who can see ghosts and other spooky stuff, he unleashes a demon to fight to make him stronger. the spell backfires and the demon is really a little boy and they all walk around japan solving paranormal mysteries with some kind of fox spirit.

that's really all I could think of, but if you can try the manga versions first because they usually leave important things out in anime due to the short 30 min time frame.
Boris_The_Fop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Cat Stark

XXXHOLiC is awesome. So is Godchild. I really like the manga D.Gray-man, too.
There is one that I love with a passion called Qwaser of stigmata. If you do not mind a little nudity (on every page), and some kinkiness, it is a good love story. It is hard to know where the story is going, which I like, and it does not seem like a love story at first.
Also I have been reading Gakuen Alice. The anime sucks, but the manga is great. It is about 12 year old kids in love. It throws me off sometimes because I forget how young they are.

As for toonami and adult swim, most of them came from Funimation which picks most of them from VIZ. If you pay atintion, most of the anime are based of the manga word for word. I know. Once I sat watching Death Note on TV and I owned the manga that that part was in and I was able to fallow it word for word and page by page. So if they are "Americanized", so are the manga they are based on.
Cat Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
Murder.Of.Crows

I apologize for using the term "Americanized" loosely, you are correct. I more meant the anime that are popular to Americans. Funimation usually has good anime to offer, but the ones you listed were essentially ones that everyone lists, generally 13 year old's. The viewers gave me a bad image for these anime, not the anime itself. Cow Bebop was good, but I would much rather people discover more developed anime, so the stereotype of "just a cartoon" would dissipate. There is more i wanted to convey with this post, but i don't want to get started on ranting. Video games and anime seem to do that to me.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
6SixSick

http://www.crunchyroll.com/durarara http://www.crunchyroll.com/linebarrels-of-iron http://www.crunchyroll.com/blassreiter.

These may not be the same as the ones you wanted, but if anyone wants to take a peek at them you wont be disappointed. The first one durarara (Drrrr if you pronounce it is english), is so well written and animated, with a grand interesting story arc it is quite frankly astounding.

It mixes Irish folklore with modern Japanese Tokyo culture and even throws in some ancient japanese myth as well.

I can't recommend it highly enough. Lines barrels of Iron and Blassreiter are bothe made by a company called Gonzo which mix high end Cgi with cartoon graphics. Very good themes and stories mixed with great humour and touching morality.

Blassreiter can get a little sweary ad bloody though, although I don't think that will be bothering anyone here.

Each one of these series have a beginning and end, and last for about 30 episodes I think.

There are some very good plot twists in each of them.
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
http://www.crunchyroll.com/durarara http://www.crunchyroll.com/linebarrels-of-iron http://www.crunchyroll.com/blassreiter.

These may not be the same as the ones you wanted, but if anyone wants to take a peek at them you wont be disappointed. The first one durarara (Drrrr if you pronounce it is english), is so well written and animated, with a grand interesting story arc it is quite frankly astounding.

It mixes Irish folklore with modern Japanese Tokyo culture and even throws in some ancient japanese myth as well.

I can't recommend it highly enough. Lines barrels of Iron and Blassreiter are bothe made by a company called Gonzo which mix high end Cgi with cartoon graphics. Very good themes and stories mixed with great humour and touching morality.

Blassreiter can get a little sweary ad bloody though, although I don't think that will be bothering anyone here.

Each one of these series have a beginning and end, and last for about 30 episodes I think.

There are some very good plot twists in each of them.
Durarara is a little slow to get going action wise, but all the characters are introduced very well.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I don't care about your taste but I know what i think is good:

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C
Claymore
Kiddy Grade
Paradise Kiss
Slayers (All Seasons, Movies and OVAs)
Angelic Layer
Witch Hunter Robin
KaleidoStar

I'm gonna check into Lost Universe and see how that goes. I may also get around to finally plowing through another chunk of Record of Lodoss War.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Murder.Of.Crows

Fuck yes, now that is a good anime list... ahh i am satisfied. I am in the middle of Spice and Wolf, it is a really good one.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
Versus

[quote=Murder.Of.Crows;654617]Oh, so essentially Americanized anime. I apologize for my bluntness, but toonami and adult swim have pissed me off too many times.[/QOUTE]

This shit infuriates me.

Tell me, are you more goth then us, too?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
Murder.Of.Crows

Dude, chill.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
Versus

No.

Spooky black text.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Murder.Of.Crows

please?

I stole this from Versus, Spooky Bl... Oh fuck it.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #18
Versus

You know what? It doesn't really bother me that much right now. But it still bothers me. That kind of elitist attitude is awful, so I compared it to something I think you can relate to.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Saya

Cowboy Bebop is fantastic, and one of the few anime that is better dubbed.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
Murder.Of.Crows

No, i know. When I read my own post i realized that, not what I wanted it to be. It's just that a majority of people i meet who are, "oh my god I can speak japanese now and should walk around with a fucking Katana because i watch anime and its so cool." When i ask, oh really, what anime do you watch. I get Inuyasha, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop... then they have the audacity to tell me that because they have no idea what animes im talking about i must have no idea what anime is. It was that I wasn't elite enough to talk to them. Those mother fuckers told..... sorry, i really hated High School for many of these scenes, and i apologize for doing something i would normally be against as well. Your right...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
Versus

It's fine to be enthusiastic about something as long as it does't make you stuck up.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #22
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey View Post
I don't care about your taste but I know what i think is good:
What are you, five?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #23
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
What are you, five?
Don't make me fill this thread with uppercuts.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
6SixSick

This doesn't concern you. I guess you're just naturally belligerent.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #25
Versus

I like SCC a lot, so I'd like to think it does concern me. You know. Because this is a public forum and all.

But it's not that. It's that you don't know him, but you're completely comfortable with being a twat without even checking that you understand what he said. He was making fun of himself, but I guess you're just naturally ignorant.

-Breathin, Tupac.