Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Dark Adventurer

When Did FREE become Shill???

I posted a link in here so members could read my writing for FREE -- as in NOT SELLING IT -- and I find it's been moved to 'shill'.
Dark Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
edible_eye

it becomes 'shill' as soon as you put it out there for others, regardless of price.

if it makes you feel better, we can call it 'pimping'.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Dark Adventurer

Free is Shill?

So is all the other writing posted here also shill?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Dark Adventurer

I find it intriguing, this definition of shill and pimping. It seems arbitrary. One writer can post their writing and it's not called such, another writer does, and it is.
Is it because I have been published? That doesn't make sense, because there must be other published authors here.
Is it simply because I am new and unknown as a member and I have not been approved in some obscure communal rite of passage with certain personalities here?
This is a very interesting anthropological experience, if nothing else.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Adventurer
So is all the other writing posted here also shill?
depends.

bottom line - if you're specifically putting your stuff out there as a solitary focus, it's considered 'shill', in my opinion.

the threads here in the 'literature' section deal mostly with discussion about writing in general, varied literature, etc. you'll also find verbal droppings from members of this site, however those droppings will largely be incorporated within already existing threads. once a writer smacks down a solitary thread to say, "here's my stuff. go and read it.", he or she has crossed the line of open discussion and moved his or her stuff into the category of 'shill'.

read the description of each section. your post essentially boils down to a website you're asking us to visit in order to view your work. there's no harm in that - it just falls under the jurisdiction of 'shill'.

try not to be so sensitive.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Dark Adventurer

I thought I had read and understood, but I suspected something was wrong. Mea culpa.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
edible_eye

ah, xnguela, the light of my internet life...

with you, verbal smackage abounds.