Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #26
spookypurple

Free Agency!

Like I said, I don't smoke. But I've never told anyone they shouldn't smoke, 'cause no smoker's ever told me that I should. Well, not since school...

It goes both ways.

I just reserve my right to not go somewhere smoky.

(Please pardon the deliberately split infinitive)

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 PM   #27
Cambodian Breakfast

I like that. Not to go anywhere smoky. I can't smoke at work now. My boss said it is bad for me and took away my three smoke breaks a day. Fuck I think that I might kill somebody today. I really wont. It is really bad in the military. We are by law allowed at least two for an 8 hour shift. Some people take more. I guess I will take less. Fuck I need a smoke.
Cambodian Breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #28
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambodian Breakfast
... My boss said it is bad for me and took away my three smoke breaks a day...
this is the kind of p.c. bull-shit i'm talking about.

someone hears a news report about the dangers of smoking, realizes there's a mainstream movement to get people to stop smoking and decides to take upon him or herself to be a 'hero', regardless of others individual rights.

fuck him with a large middle finger.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #29
spookypurple

Quote:
I can't smoke at work now. My boss said it is bad for me and took away my three smoke breaks a day.
How flipping patronising!

Hamlet
Old 05-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #30
Wise Child

Quote:
I can't smoke at work now. My boss said it is bad for me and took away my three smoke breaks a day.
I'd tell him that doing so could prove extremely hazardous to his health. Then next time you get stressed and want a cigarette, deck the patronising cunt to demonstrate what you mean.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #31
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
I'd tell him that doing so could prove extremely hazardous to his health. Then next time you get stressed and want a cigarette, deck the patronising cunt to demonstrate what you mean.

And that if he doesn't have one of those things beginning with a 'c', you will happily rip one out for him.

(Sorry - is that a bit rude?)

Hamlet
Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #32
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
And that if he doesn't have one of those things beginning with a 'c', you will happily rip one out for him.

(Sorry - is that a bit rude?)
Heehee - I love it! Vulgarity suits you, Purple. Come over to the dark side. You can smoke over here.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #33
spookypurple

I only smoke if I run too fast!

Hamlet
Old 05-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #34
Wise Child

Ah well. We'll set you up with a little non-smoker's section. You've earned it.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #35
spookypurple

Thank you!

:sits in little corner, smiling:

Hamlet
Old 05-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #36
NachtSorcier

*sigh*

If my boss took away my smoke break with the reasoning that it's "no good for me," I'd take the opportunity to remind him that my foot up his ass isn't so good for him either.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #37
edible_eye

why do you have to interject logic into all this anger?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #38
angel_dark_demon_bright

They passed that sort of law in several places here in michigan too. It really pisses me off. Just because certain non-smokers dont like it they ruin it for smokers. Breif occasional exposure to cigarrette smoke does not do any permanant damage to anyone. Often even if your asmatic. This is more discrimination than 'consideration'.

Last edited by angel_dark_demon_bright; 05-23-2006 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #39
ghostposts

Many people are allergic, or have an illness that causes them to respond to the slightest whiff of not only cigarette smoke, but perfume and other irritants.

It's easy to simply step outside and away from the access doors to any enclosure. There's no reason for a complete ban. It's common courtesy.

If your favorite place of business allows smoking, go elsewhere. If they don't, go elsewhere. If it's a workplace, make arrangements, set compromises, or get another job.

Those of us who smoke will do so, no matter what the circumstances, if we chose to. We find ways to do what we want, and damn the law. We'll just find a place where we can do it and not get hauled in. It's just a shame that some are more worried with a possible influence on their health than more pressing issues...(makes a looong list...)

As far as the assholes who blow smoke in someone's asthmatic face, trust me. Most smokers would kick their asses as fast as non-smokers would.

And, no. We don't need anyone making us do what's good for our health. A lot of things are bad for us. We can chose for ourselves what we want in our lives, thank you.

If it costs money in public health care, tough. We pay for the health care of others who have illnesses we never had, so what the fuck? We pay for the schooling, housing, food, ect. for total strangers we'll never meet.

Our tax money is sent to people who aren't even in the country we live in. I don't know of any country whose government and private citizens don't help others. We pay for politicians to have private jets and for business people to own mansions. We pay the way for indigent folks to eat, and rich folks to send their kids to colleges we can't get near. So, let health care go up. If smoking doesn't make it do this then something else will.

Next big issue: fast food. Then what? Wine? Violence in video games? Shit. Chose your life style, and go with it.
ghostposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #40
Disfunction

Across Ontario there was a law set in place regarding a smoking ban in restaurants and bars and, personally, I support it. I have asthma and have had my fair share of hospital visits. I don't really fancy having anymore if I don't need to.

As far as smoking in general is concerned, as long as people do it in their own homes or at least try to be courteous about it, hell, I don't mind too much. Indoors, however, it makes the situation a lot worse than it could be if they were to try to do it outside and outside alone.

I mean, when restaurants used to be smoking vs. non-smoking, it was more accurately described in terms of density of smoke as opposed to actual exposure to it. I'd still have difficulty breathing and just as much trouble tasting my meal. I mean, tobacco has a nice smell to it before it's lit, but the taste of the smoke doesn't really add to the dining experience.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #41
WolfMoon

Why ban smoking when there are worse irritants to our nostrils?

I wish to the gods that some of these jerk-offs that shop in my store would NOT bathe in fucking cologne! It gives me a headache and makes me nauseous.

It's so much worse than a little cigarette smoke. At least that you can get up wind of!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #42
ghostposts

I try to keep my home as smoke free as I can, because of my kids. They're not always suffering from respiratory infections, so I must be doing something right. I'm very aware of the trouble people have breathing. I don't fire up if I'm around anyone else. It just doesn't make sense. I don't use strong perfumes, ect. and I don't fill the house with insense or scented candle smoke, or go to someone else's home and do this to them. Public or private, any enclosed space is subject to pollution.

Noise pollution, too. Jeez, no one wants to be unindated with someone else's junk. I keep a 24 hour schedule, and I keep the noise down for the neighbors. I keep the grass short, and the trash picked up.

"First do no harm."

But to dictate it by passing a law? That's wrong. Laws, ordinances, ect. are like cockroaches. They breed.

Yes, we need to keep track of those who don't bother with common courtesy. Yes, we need to have a mechanism in place to keep them from harming others. So I tolerate some laws and ordinances. But, the thing is, people go overboard with them, and soon they turn into control freaks.

Other pollutants are allowed. Several of the local stores have disinfectant so harsh that I can't go into their store, because it gets me sick. Cars, busses and trucks drive past me, emitting fumes that make me ill. Several businesses in this city put out fumes, and the delivery of their chemicals as their trucks drive past our house can make me close the windows. It isn't right to focus on smokers.

It's bullshit.
ghostposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:48 AM   #43
AshNicoli

We live in a world where its freedoms are dwindling. You have made one hell of an argument. All I can say really is that our parents and their parents and so on, made it so for the world we inhabit to be created and those of us no and those that walk amongst us, let it be. So the only ones to be blamed are ourselves and our increasing apathy towards the modern dictators of our lives.
AshNicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:09 AM   #44
AshNicoli

When was there a law forbiding interacial marriage? Voting? You consider that a freedom? Our votes don't even matter in a world ruled by old wealth. Bleh, sorry I can't go any futher into this sort of debate. I can get quite heated and say offensive things, I don't want to do such to nice peoples.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:07 AM   #45
Cicero

The only thing necessary in this whole issue is for both smokers and non-smokers to show a little courtesy to one another. Throwing laws into it only angers people more.

I rather despise cigarettes, myself, and thanks to extremely sensitive lungs exposure to large amounts of smoke makes me feel ill for quite a while afterwards. But if I'm bothered by smoke, I'll simply move away. I don't mind what people do with their bodies as long as they don't do it to mine.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #46
Wise Child

I'm fairly sure that, at some point, interracial relations - sexual or marital - WERE illegal in America, though possibly only in the South. I'd wager my firstborn on it, in fact.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #47
NachtSorcier

Interracial marriages were illegal at some point. Is it any surprise when at around that same time it was a hideous notion for a black person to even feel sorry for a white person?

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #48
AshNicoli

I smoke, sadly. But how I see it really is that I'm going to die one day, by a runaway bus, crazy woman, or serial bomber, whatever. But at least I smoke and know I might die from lung cancer and it gives me my control back over fate. Unless its all part of fates plan and then I'm totally screwed.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #49
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNicoli
I smoke, sadly. But how I see it really is that I'm going to die one day, by a runaway bus, crazy woman, or serial bomber, whatever. But at least I smoke and know I might die from lung cancer and it gives me my control back over fate.
No it doesn't. You could be smoking happily and still get hit by a bus. To be consistent in your belief of Fate requires that there be nothing you can do to change it. If you think you can change it, it isn't fate now is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNicoli
Unless its all part of fates plan and then I'm totally screwed.
That's more like it! Except for the fact that fate doesn't exist... >:P
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #50
AshNicoli

To believe in fate doesn't mean you have to be a willing participant. I fight even though i might get hit by the bus. And fate does exist.