Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
ThreeEyesOni

Blood: The Last Vampire

I just recently saw this new movie, and thought that I would comment. I'm aware of a few movies that would fall into the category of "Live-Action Remake", but this is the only one I would even consider describing as "good".

Lemme skip to the point. This movie is good. Correction: the action scenes for the movie are downright amazing, and the original plot is translated over well. The whole thing reminds me of "Great Yokai War" in the sense that the flavor of the mythical basis is very evident.

If you havn't seen the original anime, I can't say if you should see that one first or not. You won't be missing out on plot and in fact the live-action version even gives a few more details. I'll definately be waiting to see the quality in Blue Ray.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Saya

I'm not even sure if I want to pirate it, I was a big fan of the original film, it had a shallow plot but hey, it was only 48 minutes long and it was a good time. The book Night Of The Beasts was really good, the language felt a little stiff and it did get into a LOT of detail, with not a whole lot of action, but it really added depth to Saya, and things in the film made a lot more sense. She was created by a European family who wanted to create a vampire-human hybrid, and she was raised with this family. Her adopted family was Jewish and they all died in the Holocaust, and ever since she blamed the church for not speaking out against Hitler, hence the hatred she had in the movie for religion. It also had a lot to do about idealism and activism, the last scene was particularly good, after she saved the day the boy she was helping, Rei, who at the time was a student activist protesting the Vietnam War, grew up, grew out of his ideals, went to college, got a business job, got married, divorced, got fat, got a drinking problem, remarried. Then he sees Saya on the subway one day, and of course she's still young, and he feels ashamed to remember how he was at the time, and how he betrayed his youthful ideals.

So yeah, I don't think this movie would have what I liked about the original, doesn't seem to be political at all, effects look really bad and a token blond girl just seems to got have thrown in for the hell of it (what happened to the pleasantly plump nurse?) That and it got scathingly bad reviews.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
CountVonCount

From what the trailer shows it looks like a prologue rather than a remake. Does she still kick ass on an army base? Are any of the scenes the same? I loved the anime but this doesnt seem like that good of a movie. The special effects look pretty cheap as well. That movie Thirst seems good though, if not a little dry.
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Faeir

I haven't seen the movie yet but although quite a lot of people seem to be against it, I still want to see it, If only to complain later that the anime is much better.

On the other hand, it won't be worse than Sailor Moon live action.
Faeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
msg_themoon

i can't wait to see the film. i saw the original short film but i didnt see the anime series they made after that either way i want to see the live action one previews looked better than any other live action animated based movie out there....oh boy OH BOY the horrible crap that is out there but i cant wait to feast my eyes on that film! regardless of what people say about it good or bad i must judge for me-self!
msg_themoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Rylee

I enjoyed this movie.
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
blindNsect

The anime wasn't very good.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindNsect View Post
The anime wasn't very good.
I only saw it once, but from what remember, I agree.

The only thing I remember thinking when I watched it was "BOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGG!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
I only saw it once, but from what remember, I agree.

The only thing I remember thinking when I watched it was "BOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGG!"
It was only 45 minutes, how did you get bored?

The thing to remember with the anime was that it was made pretty much to show off slick digital animation, with the story and character development left to the manga, novels and video game. On the dvd I think the documentary of how it was made was longer than the film itself. It was the Avatar of anime at the time, only they were pretty honest about it being purely for the visuals, and with that context it was a good film.

So the live action is out and from what I hear its pure shit, so I think I'm going to avoid watching it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote