Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 PM   #576
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
And those squinty-eyed chicks are cool.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #577
gingerbreadwench

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

By the first forty-five minutes, I was ready to suck my brains out through my nostril with a straw.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:01 PM   #578
Granny-like_the_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadwench
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

By the first forty-five minutes, I was ready to suck my brains out through my nostril with a straw.
Bravo, bravo. I couldn't put it better myself.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #579
TeapotScar

I just watched Rainbow Bright.

Yeah, I don't even know if that's how little-miss-colors spells her name. But she's crazy, stupid, and she fucks up Rainbow Land.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #580
Granny-like_the_apple

It's Rainbow Brite. It should be Capt. Dumbass, because she is one hell of a dumbass. You have the magic belt, shithead! WHY AREN'T YOU USING IT?!

Old 01-31-2005, 09:46 PM   #581
edible_eye

ugh.

i rented the village three times. yes, that's 3. tonight i finally watched it and it sucked.

fuck. i hate when shit like that happens.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:09 PM   #582
gingerbreadwench

I actually liked The Village. I'm planning on purchasing it, once I figure out where my Wal-Mart card is.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 PM   #583
winged_dreams

I didn't mind The Village. I liked the ending because it wasn't what people expected.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #584
AlKilyu

Quote:
I actually liked The Village. I'm planning on purchasing it, once I figure out where my Wal-Mart card is.
Excuse me? Tomorrow is Tuesday, and you will be renting The Grudge with Buffy's Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Right?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:55 PM   #585
gingerbreadwench

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Quote:
Excuse me? Tomorrow is Tuesday, and you will be renting The Grudge with Buffy's Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Right?
I doubt it. I have freaking rehearsal tomorrow. Plus I'm not done with Garden State yet.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:23 PM   #586
Loy

EPS-as far as "Passion"s lack of nominations.....according to my sources, "Passion" was only a few votes shy of "Best Picture", and Cavitziel was the same with "Best Actor". And for the people who didn't include "Passion" in their votes, it wasn't the Anti-Semitism (which I can understand their point, but still have to say "stop being overly-sensitive") as much as it's the general feeling that "Passion" happens to be an exploitation film posing as an artistic one, along with the feeling that "Passion" was an insult to major tenets of christianity (let's face it, we can have a film with Hitler being brutally tortured for 3 1/2 hours, and if you're not given any real context of who he is, you'd feel sorry for him too).

But just think, if Mel would've gotten those 45 votes, and have won for best director, he'd be up there with other past winners as Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorcese, Akira Kurosawa, and Orson Welles.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #587
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
EPS-as far as "Passion"s lack of nominations.....according to my sources, "Passion" was only a few votes shy of "Best Picture", and Cavitziel was the same with "Best Actor". And for the people who didn't include "Passion" in their votes, it wasn't the Anti-Semitism (which I can understand their point, but still have to say "stop being overly-sensitive") as much as it's the general feeling that "Passion" happens to be an exploitation film posing as an artistic one, along with the feeling that "Passion" was an insult to major tenets of christianity (let's face it, we can have a film with Hitler being brutally tortured for 3 1/2 hours, and if you're not given any real context of who he is, you'd feel sorry for him too).

But just think, if Mel would've gotten those 45 votes, and have won for best director, he'd be up there with other past winners as Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorcese, Akira Kurosawa, and Orson Welles.
Exploitation..

There is a perception I had not considered. It is a blood bath, no doubt. Which is why I got so girlie in parts of it.

What is your take on it?

Artsy, Exploit, Anti-Jew?

I thought the artsy parts were rationed out slow enough so that they weren't to trite or obvious. I really did enjoy the movie, I'd be lying if I said it didn't get to me on some level. It was powerful.

What did you take away from it?

I do think the scourging scene was some of the most brutal shit I have seen. (Not as bad as Ichii but still.. ) But again it was hard for me to find fault with that if what they were trying to do was re-create as accurately as possible the torture the Romans doled out during his last 12 hours.

So spill it Oh Celluloidal Messiah of Ours..

What did you think?
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #588
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
I didn't mind The Village. I liked the ending because it wasn't what people expected.
See, this is why I *didn't* like the ending- it was *EXACTLY* what I expected. Granted, I was told one of the two suprises in the suprise ending, but the second one, I had been basing my entire movie-experience assuming.

:SPOILER: He told me who the monsters were, but he didn't tell me it was modern times. I thought everyone knew it was modern times, because that's what I assumed the hints were *way* too obvious.

But otherwise, I did *KINDA* like it. The cinematography was spectacular, but that was about all the movie had going for it. But that's saying a lot, considering how shittily most movies are shot these days. And there were tiny little "moments" that I thought were very cool, very well done. But that's about it.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #589
AlKilyu

Just out of curiosity, what "clues" did you catch?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #590
edible_eye

the ending just made me even more frustrated than i already was, never mind the absolutely unbelievable feats of that blind girl. it was like he based every scene on - ok, how can we make this even more unbelievable so maybe it'll be believable?

sorry - didn't work.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #591
edible_eye

just finished wes craven's 'they'. fairly ordinary hollywood schlock - but there were a few decent blasts of horror. special effects were cool also.

tomorrow - the grudge. i've been waiting for this and i'm pretty excited.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #592
Binkie

Watched a documentary on U.S. Special Forces in Afghanistan where a film crew was actually allowed to follow around a group for three weeks and film what they were doing there. It was interesting because they weren't just on the offensive against townspeople thought to be harboring weapons and drugs. There were actually times in which they went around giving boxes full of toys to Afghani children who've never owned anything in their lives and giving medical aid to local villagers on their time off.

It was funny because they hired out a local group of militia to back them up in raids, but they never allowed them to enter houses in search of items cause they were afraid they were going to pocket other people's personal items. Several times the commander was sitting around in an operational briefing, telling them, "Now don't start gettin' sticky fingers 'n stealin' shit." That remark just put one of the Afghanis into stitches when he heard that.

There was another situation where an Afghan villager had pointed a gun at the SF team and one of the U.S. guys tackled the man to the ground. He refused to lay his head down so the SF guy hit him twice in the head to stun him into laying down cooperatively. Right after he hit him a second time in the head, this Afghan miliaman ran up and hit the detained man in the back of the head with the barrel of his AK. The guy went immediately down but the SF guy was absolutely pissed that he did that. It was funny at first, just because they were trying to help but they were getting way to rough with detainees and the SF guys were getting frustrated with them doing that.

It was really interesting to see how these guys operate for the most part. I believe this was on the Discovery Times (?) channel, which has actually been airring alot of great documenaries on the Middle East as of late.
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #593
winged_dreams

I watched Battle Royale. It's a good movie and I suggest seeing it if you haven't. It's a bit bloody but that always adds to the fun, right?

Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #594
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged_dreams
I watched Battle Royale. It's a good movie and I suggest seeing it if you haven't. It's a bit bloody but that always adds to the fun, right?
I am proud of you winged!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #595
winged_dreams

Yay!! *dances around for joy* Woohoo. Al's proud of me!! I need to see the second one. I'm going to borrow it from my friend soon. He's got a pretty cool taste in movies.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #596
AlKilyu

Naw, save your money...it's pretty lame...
Old 02-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #597
winged_dreams

I said borrow from my friend and that costs no money. I'm too cheap (and have a lack of money) to go spend money on movies.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #598
Granny-like_the_apple

HAH, way to go to sleep Al. I can't believe we've only been married for a week and you're already lying to me about where you go at night! I want a divorce!

Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 AM   #599
gingerbreadwench

Ooh, Battle Royale. I wanna see that. Anyone recommend reading the book first?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #600
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny-like_the_apple
HAH, way to go to sleep Al. I can't believe we've only been married for a week and you're already lying to me about where you go at night! I want a divorce!
HAHA!

I typed that then forgot to hit "post" and went and got ready for bed. I was walking by the 'puter on the way to bed and went to shut it off and thought "rut roh!".

ginger: I wouldn't. Two totally different things. The comic is a game show, whereas the movie just drops kids on an island and tells them to off each other.