Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #376
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Well then change your appearance if it becomes annoying, in the end they're emo and so are you. A man in blue pants who likes pumpkin and a man in a green hat who like tuna are both still men so they both must share any social stigma the other causes concerning their particular grouping.

In short:
Shut up and deal with it or get away from it.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:14 AM   #377
Apathy's_Child

If you don't want to be judged by your appearence, why follow any kind of fashion at all? Why not just wear the first thing to hand and express your individuality through your personality and intelligence?

You can't blame people for not knowing the difference between two often similar-looking "alternative" subcultures, both of whose members dress in black.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:27 AM   #378
Vivi

You people speak as if others peoples opinion of my appearances counts. Sure it can be irritating but its not going to make me change the way i dress. Im just going to have to learn to complain about it less. And i know im proving them wrong anyway by being myself and not attatching a fake persona to my clothing.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #379
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi
You people speak as if others peoples opinion of my appearances counts.
If you care enough to complain about it, then it does count to you.

Quote:
Sure it can be irritating but its not going to make me change the way i dress. Im just going to have to learn to complain about it less.
Exactly.

Quote:
And i know im proving them wrong anyway by being myself and not attatching a fake persona to my clothing.
Yeah....... the way you dress is the measure of true individuality, especially when it adheres to the confines of a specific subculture. Show 'em how it's done, you crazy rebel.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 AM   #380
Vivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Yeah....... the way you dress is the measure of true individuality, especially when it adheres to the confines of a specific subculture. Show 'em how it's done, you crazy rebel.
I could try to be ultra-individual and dress completely different from everyone else but that would require an enormous amount of effort and motivation.

Ill just make the effort of putting clothes on in the morning and looking the way i want to look. Ill be sure to include the massive "individual" label on my back just for the irony of it all.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #381
Moringauro

Nothing special here either.
People used to shout "Satan!" and the like or really managed to show some cerebral capacity in labeling me "Gothic!" (for some reason German goths are usually called "Gothics"... so much for grammar...).
Oh, and I remember one particularly smart young fellow who told me "Dude, you listen to Black Metal, I swear!" (I remember I was wearing a bondage skirt and some eyeliner...) - and I still wonder if it shouldn't normally be up to me, to tell or swear what I like or not...

I absolutely got used to this stuff and hardly recognized it anymore, but then people (usually packs of little girls) started calling "Emo!" which - I admit - quite annoys me.
Nothing against emo kids, I'm just not interested in them and I don't really care if they adapt our fashion or parts of it - and I still believe that they'll either become normal boring mainstream people or 'real goths' when they are older...

But why oh why do they have to label me thus? Imagine that:
There's a guy clad in black t-shirt and jeans (nothing fancy in that particular situation), eyes and fingernails black, with some heavy boots, studded wristbands and belt, etc. Obviously mid-20 (have you ever seen an emo who is older than ...say... 17 years old? I haven't).
What the hell is emo about this person?
Moringauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #382
PortraitOfSanity

I've never been made fun of, mostly because my dress/music/lifestyle defies labeling.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #383
masquerade

I tend to dress nice and eclectic like.. I don't even know if I portray goth anymore. I haven't been able to wear anything I really wanted to in ages due to my job, the parents(I'm a teacher) are slowly accepting the fact I'm not typical. It's taken them several years to adjust to me. That's with me very toned down.

I too get called emo quite a bit, only after I bought some apparently emo glasses I'm not even sure what the hell those are? I'm mid 20's I think I missed the emo trend wave that high high schools all over by 8 years or so....

I find that no one even knows what goth is anymore in my area, so I tend to get labeled with what they know. Emo, freak, geek... I like them all. I cherish the fact people even notice me. Call me whatever you want. hahaha
masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #384
KontanKarite

You know, in a decade, the word emo will be a word of empowerment.

Just like in the 80s, goth was considered an insult when everyone wanted to be considered punk or post punk.

You think Peter Murphy, Siousxie, and Eldritch liked being called goth? Back then, that noun was synonymous with art fag or freak.

Trust me, if these people could call you another name to get a better rise out of you, they'd call you it. It just seems right now, since you DO look different, emo is the best thing to call you to make you feel insulted. It doesn't matter if it's accurate or not.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #385
Steele_Mistress

Last night as I was walking out of Wal-Mart a blonde [you could tell she was girly] chick made a nasty "ew" face at me. I said "What the f*ck are you lookin' at, blonde bitch?" Unfortunately she either didn't hear me or was too afraid to admit she heard me. I hate people like that--who sneer at you or turn their nose up at you because you look different and like different stuff.
Steele_Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #386
crucifix

Someone was trying to irritate me last night at a bar and called me an anime vampire. Took it as a compliment, though.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #387
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
You know, in a decade, the word emo will be a word of empowerment.

Just like in the 80s, goth was considered an insult when everyone wanted to be considered punk or post punk.

You think Peter Murphy, Siousxie, and Eldritch liked being called goth? Back then, that noun was synonymous with art fag or freak.

Trust me, if these people could call you another name to get a better rise out of you, they'd call you it. It just seems right now, since you DO look different, emo is the best thing to call you to make you feel insulted. It doesn't matter if it's accurate or not.
This is true. I know when I was younger that also pertained to me. I was like "WTF?! goths!" It is kinda weird, but alot of me goth friends are so, well, emo-phobic. I mean, yeah, a lot of emos are a little whiny, but there are some that are really cool to hang out with.....as long as they don't have to retreat into the dark corner and write really bad songs about their lives
Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #388
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moringauro
But why oh why do they have to label me thus? Imagine that:
There's a guy clad in black t-shirt and jeans (nothing fancy in that particular situation), eyes and fingernails black, with some heavy boots, studded wristbands and belt, etc. Obviously mid-20 (have you ever seen an emo who is older than ...say... 17 years old? I haven't).
What the hell is emo about this person?
because people don't like to think about what the differences are. You pretty much desrcibed how I look on a lazy day. Minus, the wrist bands. None of my goth friends (or any of my friends that understand subcultures) call me emo, but put me in a room of blond bimbo teenagers and boom! emo is thrown around. It is just this day and age, someone with eyeliner and black on is automatically called emo.

Oh, and I do have a really good friend who is 23 and super emo. He used to always be kinda subtle: girl pants, the hair, that was it. But the last time I saw him he was all decked out in emo wear. Kinda took me back a little bit. It does make him look like he is 16 most of the time, though.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #389
Devil's Darling

Yah people make fun of me 2 ) They usually say that I am Satan or stuff like that.The thing is...I actually like it 'cuz I can make fun of them.Let's put it this way "Oh so I'm Satan you say...ok no problem you wanted Satan I'll show ya Satan!" People are so stupid -_-
And I really hate it when you walk on the street minding your own business and some idiot pops up and screams at you "haha Metallica!" and I'm not even wearing a Metallica T-Shirt,it's a normal one 8-|
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #390
Raivyn

Location: A small town in Pennsylvania. Nothing ever happens here.
Not anymore. I get more compliments on my hair than anything. Either people like my look or they're too afraid to tell me otherwise.. don't know, don't really care. People do like to stare though, and sometimes that can get a little uncomfortable on days when I'd rather go about my business without being noticed.
Raivyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #391
LaBelleDameSansMerci

When you'd rather go about your business unnoticed, wear less noticeable things.

People don't make fun of me. They look at me in a mildly astonished/confused/distrustful manner, or but I've hardly ever had anyone say anything. Unless I'm wearing my giraffe ears... then some people laugh or tell me they want to steal them for themselves.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #392
DR666DREADLOKZ

people make fun of my clothes all the time
DR666DREADLOKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #393
MiaMore

Well, it takes a lot of money to look this cheap.
MiaMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #394
exacerbatedpoet

People don't really make fun of me but I they think I'm pretty weird because I wear black all the time. I mean I don't think I've know anyone who hasn't commented on the fact that I wear all black. Every week I get a new suggestion to add some color to my wardrobe. They don't call me goth because I don't wear clothes that are considered "gothic" most of the time. Its just that everything I wear is black. I know they are just trying to be helpful, but sometimes I wish they would just accept that I just want to wear black and be quiet about it. Black is cool accept I have a MAJOR problems being seen in photos or at night. Especially at night. Oh, well.
exacerbatedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #395
girasol

family think I am weird. Sometimes at a bbq party they might ask if I will swim and someone will say 'oh... SHE won't.' stupid stuff.

my partner makes jokes. He hates burlesque + fetish wear. I think he would be more comfortable wearing a shorter dress than deal with me wearing one.

+ random drunks in civic. - goth!
- emo!
etc.

no big deal.
girasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #396
All Shall Be Judged

No-one makes fun of the Judge. Most fall into awed silence and lower their eyes humbly when she walks among them. Quite right too.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #397
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
Talking

I was actually at a workshop and I got lot of crap from the lots of the girls. They would lock me out of their dorms and out of my own, and refused to talk with me. Then these counselors came up to me and told me that they understood I was wearing what I was just to get attention and also as a cry for help. *laughs* They made me "repent from my evil ways", made my remove my blue highlights, and I couldn't wear anything "unusual" for the rest of the workshop.

I guess the saying is true: 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks", well in this case, it would be "You can teach an old dog a new way to behave." Though, I still find these type of people comical.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #398
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Alyce View Post
I was actually at a workshop and I got lot of crap from the lots of the girls. They would lock me out of their dorms and out of my own, and refused to talk with me. Then these counselors came up to me and told me that they understood I was wearing what I was just to get attention and also as a cry for help. *laughs* They made me "repent from my evil ways", made my remove my blue highlights, and I couldn't wear anything "unusual" for the rest of the workshop.

I guess the saying is true: 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks", well in this case, it would be "You can teach an old dog a new way to behave." Though, I still find these type of people comical.
Why were you at a workshop operated and attended by nutjobs?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #399
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Why were you at a workshop operated and attended by nutjobs?
Becaue I had been before and never had a problem. LOADS of people come with unnatural hair and clothes similiar to mine. I just happened to be unlucky and landed with a religious bigot as a roomate.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #400
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Alyce View Post
Becaue I had been before and never had a problem. LOADS of people come with unnatural hair and clothes similiar to mine. I just happened to be unlucky and landed with a religious bigot as a roomate.
But you seemed to imply that there was a massive campaign against you, at least partially endorsed by whoever was hosting the event, given that you were forced to speak with counselors.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote