Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: Are you a Christian?
yes 11 25.00%
no 28 63.64%
not sure 5 11.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2005, 12:51 AM   #1
nonfatsuperjesus

Christian?

My friend and I had a discussion earlier today about 'goths' being christian. She thinks that 'goths' are not christians. I don't think that you can catagorize(sp?) an entire subculture like that. I am not religious nor will I ever be but, I think that many goths are christian.

What do you think?
nonfatsuperjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
gingerbreadwench

Well... I'm a Christian. But I'm not 'goth.' So, uh, I guess that's not much help to ya, is it?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
tekajo

http://www.christiangoth.com/
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
Suiside_Kitty

Kate!!! I LOVE your avatar!!! <3
Inside you.
+++++++++++

http://www.myspace.com/social_phobic
Suiside_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:41 AM   #5
Suiside_Kitty

Oh and to help.. I'm not christian or goth.. but I do know christian-goths.
Inside you.
+++++++++++

Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 AM   #6
MrMaelstrom

Yes, and you can be a christian and a fan of the SF 49ers, capisce?

Are there any more idiotic questions like this? Or do we have to put up a disclaimer saying we don't eat babies at satanic rituals every other night?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:58 AM   #7
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Are there any more idiotic questions like this? Or do we have to put up a disclaimer saying we don't eat babies at satanic rituals every other night?
wait... are you telling me i DON'T have to eat them? cuz that's not what everyone else told me.

now i'm confused. and a little pissed.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
MrMaelstrom

You could have just eaten the coleslaw like the rest of us...

...but did you? No....
"I'm really peckish", he said.... Well, there you go then.... You didn't have to keep on eating them if you weren't hungry anymore.

Last edited by MrMaelstrom; 10-18-2005 at 06:33 AM.
MrMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:40 AM   #9
edible_eye

uncool, dude. i was told, in no uncertain terms - "you'll eat the babies or you'll never be goth like us".

i'm very much a wanna-fit-in kinda guy, so i followed orders.

now you people are telling me different and i don't like it. not one bit. you all say one thing in private and take it back in public. not cool, dudes.

not cool at all.....

i guess i'll just go back to my christian roots and fuck all this goth shit. lord knows they never lie.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
Toto_Kaos

Wow, I thought we were just eating babies because they tasted so good with mushroom gravy...mmmm....gravy....
Toto_Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Suiside_Kitty

Aww.. and miss the group orgy after the rituals and baby eating?
Inside you.
+++++++++++

Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #12
edible_eye

see? i decide to return to christianity and ouala! toto returns.

hiya, you luscious specimen of femininity. c'mere and let me ravage you.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
Empty_Purple_Stars

You hold her arms..

I'm going to tickle her tummy!!

To what do we owe this Lovely Honor Toto?
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #14
demoncross

Non-practicing Catholic Goth, but I also study Kabala, Wicca, Scientology, Buddhism, etc. But I do strongly believe in One God

But since Goth is really not about spiritualism, but rather music and similar interests I can foresee you having a tough time gauging this, have fun, ta-tah

FYI : Not all punks are Atheist or true-Satanists (Those that think of themselves as God)

*** Ditto on the babies Toto, hmmm, scrumptious
demoncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #15
darkflower

I think a lot of people believe that goths are satanic or pagans or that the goth subculture is a religion itself but people from every religion are goths
darkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #16
Tall One In Black

Since you're from the midwest, I'll forgive your thought process. But please realize that "christian" does NOT equal "religious." Christians aren't the only ones who believe in God. They're also not the only ones who aren't satanists. Christian is not the direct opposite of satanist, with no other options in between.

There are plenty of very religious people who aren't Christians... Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, Wiccans, etc. None of them worship Satan or believe in doing evil deeds.

A goth can be any religion he or she chooses, or no religion at all. However, I would venture to guess that many goths are Christians or former Christians because the goth culture is found mainly among white European types, which is also where Christianity is based. In other words, the people most likely to be goths are white European types, who were probably raised in a Christian environment and may still carry those beliefs.

** This post is not meant to offend anyone. I hope the wording doesn't make me sound like some kind of bigot. Hopefully you all understand the point I'm making.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #17
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
** This post is not meant to offend anyone. I hope the wording doesn't make me sound like some kind of bigot. Hopefully you all understand the point I'm making.
offend?!?

when you talk all serious and intelligent like that AND i envision your lovely face, i get all hot and bothered. that's not being "offended", is it?

no. i think it's being horny. that's it. you made me horny when you wrote that.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #18
Jane13

Coverted to Catholicism... well, still going through Catechism, but anywho... yeah, you can be goth and christian. The church I go to is actually really tolerant and doesn't care what you wear... my friend that I mentioned in the "black goths" thread goes there, too, and the priest and the nuns don't care that we look all dark and stuff.
Tall_One, that was a very intelligent post.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #19
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
Since you're from the midwest, I'll forgive your thought process. But please realize that "christian" does NOT equal "religious." Christians aren't the only ones who believe in God. They're also not the only ones who aren't satanists. Christian is not the direct opposite of satanist, with no other options in between.

There are plenty of very religious people who aren't Christians... Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, Wiccans, etc. None of them worship Satan or believe in doing evil deeds.

A goth can be any religion he or she chooses, or no religion at all. However, I would venture to guess that many goths are Christians or former Christians because the goth culture is found mainly among white European types, which is also where Christianity is based. In other words, the people most likely to be goths are white European types, who were probably raised in a Christian environment and may still carry those beliefs.

As well-thought and written a post as this was, I think it should be noted that nonfatsuperjesus didn't state that being religious and Christian go hand in hand. I think what he/she/it was trying to say was that while he/she/it is not personally religious, he/she/it believes that many other gothic individuals are of some brand of Christian denomination.

That's my piece, meant as equally inoffensive as your own.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #20
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
offend?!?

when you talk all serious and intelligent like that AND i envision your lovely face, i get all hot and bothered. that's not being "offended", is it?

no. i think it's being horny. that's it. you made me horny when you wrote that.
A man who is actually turned ON - not off - by intelligence from a woman? A true rarity where I'm from. But good for those of use whose brains are bigger than our breasts.

Most men say they like intelligent women... but what many of them really want is a woman who is just smart enough to not embarrass them in front of their buddies. Maybe their definition of "intelligent" is different than mine - I'm a big nerd.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #21
edible_eye

hot, intelligent, introspective, philosophical AND modest...

whoa. i just had a full-blown lust-filled moment.

here comes another one. and another.

do it again...
Old 10-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #22
punkirony

Uh...this in a "Christian" thread? EE I LOVE YOU EVEN MORE!!
Old 10-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #23
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
As well-thought and written a post as this was, I think it should be noted that nonfatsuperjesus didn't state that being religious and Christian go hand in hand. I think what he/she/it was trying to say was that while he/she/it is not personally religious, he/she/it believes that many other gothic individuals are of some brand of Christian denomination.

That's my piece, meant as equally inoffensive as your own.

Right, I agree. NFSJ didn't specifically state that religious=Christian. I inferred that from the "I am not religious nor will I ever be but, I think that many goths are christian" sentence, probably because I grew up in an environment where "religious" is the same thing as "Christian." (I imagine there are many others like that, particularly in the midwest and south.)

It's proof that any message is colored by the beliefs/thoughts/experiences of the receiver.

And I am certainly not offended. I appreciate hearing alternate points of view or interpretations; they make me think... and that's the best way to grow.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #24
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Coverted to Catholicism... well, still going through Catechism, but anywho... yeah, you can be goth and christian. The church I go to is actually really tolerant and doesn't care what you wear... my friend that I mentioned in the "black goths" thread goes there, too, and the priest and the nuns don't care that we look all dark and stuff.
Tall_One, that was a very intelligent post.

Thanks. After growing up on the Bible belt and attending Catholic school, I have done a lot of thinking about religion.

Glad you found a church that's tolerant. Often it's the environment and the congregation as much as - or more than - the religious teachings that determine whether one will be comfortable in a given church.

And, hey, nuns and priests wear black, so they shouldn't have a problem seeing it on others.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #25
Ariis

[quote=demoncross]

FYI : Not all punks are Atheist or true-Satanists (Those that think of themselves as God)

Then one of my worst enemies is going straight
to hell no matter how much pride he has
in being a "practicing catholic" since he uses
the name of God to "rule on high" as though
he were God himself.
Ariis is offline   Reply With Quote