Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #4276
Versus

I can still dream...
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #4277
Grausamkeit

That would be the sweetest costume, EVER!

Even better than Hello Vadar!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #4278
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
That would be the sweetest costume, EVER!

Even better than Hello Vadar!
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #4279
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I tried my first anchovy today, well it was a piece of an anchovy, and it stank, but didn't taste bad, just strange. I think I'll try a whole anchovy next time, though I don't think I'll like it enough to eat it outside of this little series of experiments.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #4280
Grausamkeit

Don't give me that look, Peaches!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #4281
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I tried my first anchovy today, well it was a piece of an anchovy, and it stank, but didn't taste bad, just strange. I think I'll try a whole anchovy next time, though I don't think I'll like it enough to eat it outside of this little series of experiments.
My husband loves them. I am far too freaked out by the thought of all their little organs still being inside of them to eat one.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #4282
Grausamkeit

One of my mom's boyfriends used to eat those whole kippers. *ick*

Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 AM   #4283
Fruitbat

1. I rather enjoy eating anchovies and olives, particularly on pizza's and don't mind kippers and rollmops.
2. Researching a new book.
3. Learning how to make quilts (coz I just need something to do with all my spare time - hahaha)
4. Have discovered I have an adversion to sewing in straight lines.
5. Forgot how much I love rain.
6. Not sure why I'm making a list and checking it twice.
7. Really want to get back to basket weaving.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #4284
Grausamkeit

So, we got the full story on our neighbor last night. His girlfriend stopped by for a second and told us. According to the doctor our neighbor had a massive heart attack around 6:50am. His girlfriend didn't get over there until around 7:20am. I know because that's about the time my daughter gets on the bus and she had already been picked up. The lady's car wasn't next door until after my daughter left. The doctor said that even if someone had been there with him there's nothing they could have done to revive him.

My husband normally makes way too much BBQ for us to eat by ourselves when he fires up the big smoker. We used to give a good portion of it to our neighbor and his girlfriend. It's just what neighbors do. He was always helping us out when we needed it and we returned the favor if and when we could. For the first time......I can honestly say I miss a neighbor.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #4285
wolf moon

That's so sad. I'm sorry.

My husband and I just spent an hour trying to convince a kitten that living with us would be better than living in the bushes on the side of the road. She wasn't having it. But she was just so tiny and alone, I hated leaving her. After an hour sitting in a sticker bush, tossing her bits of jerky, husband finally convinced me it wasn't meant to be. I'm still really sad about it.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #4286
Grausamkeit

Awww, poor kitten.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #4287
honeythorn

I'm going to make myself a winter hat using an old vintage fur stole ( seen loads on ebay) and some leather cutoffs I have.

The idea of leaving old furs to get motheaten and ratty , when they're perfectly usable even after 60 years + ... galls me considerably. If it was a waste of life in the first place ( which with non edible animals like foxes and mink it definitely IS ) , it's a double waste to leave it to go mangy somewhere. People get on my wick.

Anyway, I need to find a tutorial on how to make a skullcap type of thing. Then once I've made that, I can sew the old fur stole round the brim to hopefully create a Russian cossack style hat.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #4288
Solumina

Mmmmm I just had the best ham and cheese omelet ever
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #4289
honeythorn

That's it, now you've gone and made me want one ! *dribble*
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #4290
MissCheyenne

I keep being encouraged to go into nursing. I don't know what to think really and I don't know if it's something I can do.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #4291
Miss Absynthe

I'm a nurse. Well, I'm mainly a nurse - I'm taking time off (after 15 years nursing, 9 of it doing full time night duty) and working in a bookstore/studying back at Uni. I actually really miss nursing, though.

If you want to talk about it at all, then feel free to throw me a message.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #4292
Miss Absynthe

Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #4293
raggedyanne

I am so not mentally prepared for finals, especially my Genetics final. I have this horrible image in my mind of the test standing up on it's hind legs (why does it have legs?!) and crushing my brain under its papery massiveness. But at least the holiday shopping is done. Thank you ThinkGeek.com!
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #4294
Solumina

Why is it that in Stargate the doctors are the only major characters that die (well at least the only ones that die and don't come back)?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 12-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #4295
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne View Post
I am so not mentally prepared for finals, especially my Genetics final. I have this horrible image in my mind of the test standing up on it's hind legs (why does it have legs?!) and crushing my brain under its papery massiveness. But at least the holiday shopping is done. Thank you ThinkGeek.com!
Imagine the surprise the exam will feel when it pulls up on it's hind legs and you draw your Mighty Pen of Correctfulness and slaughter the exam brutally!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #4296
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Imagine the surprise the exam will feel when it pulls up on it's hind legs and you draw your Mighty Pen of Correctfulness and slaughter the exam brutally!
The victory will be sweet! Vengeance against the behemoth of Human Genetics will be had with the power of Study! Bwah hah ha!

Thanks, I plan on a victory fueled by caffeine and sushi.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #4297
Solumina

My mom has a boyfriend, I'm really happy for her but I'm still kind of surprised.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #4298
Morpheus13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
I need a Mighty Pen of Correctfulness! I haven't been to well in exams at all lately. Where did you get yours?
Morpheus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #4299
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus13 View Post
I need a Mighty Pen of Correctfulness! I haven't been to well in exams at all lately. Where did you get yours?
If you find one, lend it to me.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #4300
Valhalla

I'm taking up knitting so I can eventually make a Tom Baker scarf. Seems like a fun project.

After I get this color change thing down, I'll make my mom a Harry Potter scarf. Maybe also one for myself after that, depending on if I get bored of this new hobby quickly or not.

Then, after 3 or 4 practice scarves, it will be time to tackle the Doctor Who beast.

Any pointers from those of you who can knit would be appreciated.

Completely unrelated to knitting, my first final is tomorrow. I've been studying like mad and I think cuddling into bed and reading a book won't hurt. It's 12 the night before, there's not much else I can fit into my brain.
I know I won't get more than a 65 in the course. I've never had that happen to me before, and it was a source of intense anxiety for a while, but now I'm starting to accept that I don't have to get above 80 all the time.

Has anyone else found that high school didn't prepare them for university at all, or do we have a crappier education system than other places?
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote