Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
darkcell_

Exclamation fields of the nephilim?????

quite amazes me that in a goth music forum NOBODY even MENTIONS fields of the nephilim at all. i mean ok you guys only listen to the cure or banshees or bauhaus? i love these bands myself ok but i can't believe nobody mentions fotn.

you mention marilyn manson as being goth or even rammstein?? what's so fucking goth about rammstein? even kOrn as being industrial??!? i laughed 3 hours straight after reading this one.

you are fucking stuck on 5 bands eatch. the rest is either metal or pop girlie stuff like HIM or evanescence. and don't tell me evanescence is goth..

what about fotn, garden of delight, nosferatu, lacrimosa, dreadful shadows, dawn of oblivion, malaise, diary of dreams etc etc etc etc etc...

never even HEARD of them??!?!?
darkcell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Kettu

Ive heard of all those bands, and they all have good points. Some people just like one band other another. Is something so wrong with that?
Kettu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
winged_dreams

Poo on you. I'm just getting into goth music and I listen to other bands besides that. No one seems to mention Love and Rockets and Gene Loves Jezebel in the 'list of five goth bands'. Meh. And I also like classic rock.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Fenris

Goth isn't dead, but the majority of bands that are still recording are darkwave now. If there isn't all that much new material, people are going to branch out into newer genre's like goth metal, death metal, and industrial. To each his/her own really, no need to get upset.
Fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcell_
you are fucking stuck on 5 bands eatch. the rest is either metal or pop girlie stuff like HIM or evanescence. and don't tell me evanescence is goth..

what about fotn, garden of delight, nosferatu, lacrimosa, dreadful shadows, dawn of oblivion, malaise, diary of dreams etc etc etc etc etc...

never even HEARD of them??!?!?
No, I haven't, I don't just listen to goth. Then again, I agree that people don't seem to know what bands are in which genres.

I still don't think darkwave exists, I'm old fashioned and call The Cruxshadows goth and VNV Nation dance music.

On the other hand; I have fingers.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #6
Peter

Well, actually, I have heard of fields, and I suppose I could look up the rest.

You know what I don't like?, when people go on about obscure bands because they think it makes them cool.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
MrMaelstrom

Sorry Peter, but the Fields Of The Nephilim are everything BUT obscure in what concerns the gothic subculture.

Although many people still argue over the "gothness" or "ungothness" of the band, their musical style (original Death Rock) and Clint Eatwood's Pale Rider aesthetics have won a considerable fan-base amongst goths over the years (since their '86 Burning The Fields EP).

That, of course, does not excuse the fact that most new members here or people that call themselves and consider themselves to be gothic don't know more about the origins of "their" subculture other than bands who've won internation recognition (like The Cure, Siouxsie, Joy Division or Bauhaus).

The fact is, none of this excuses the 1st poster of this thread from INTRODUCING HIM/HERSELF in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE thread in the GENERAL forum and reading the FOR THE NEWBIES thread in the same forum.

Now go wash your mouth before atempting to paternalize this site when it comes to anything, from music to politics or fashion, because dude(tte), you are but an egg who is yet unfit to grok our depths. Now bugger off or comply with the playground rules.
MrMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
Peter

I did make an exception for Fields, MrMaelstrom, maybe not very clearly, but I meant to and dammit, that's what counts.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:29 AM   #9
Selena

What a great way to start at a forum.
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
pitseleh

I only have the Dawnrazor album by Fields of the Nephilim, but I like that a lot. Kinda hard to find in most record stores here. Oh, and the One More Nightmare EP, by the new version Neph. It's not as good as the old stuff, though.

And I also have Zoon, by Nefilim, which is like industrial death-metal. Totally different, and not really a very strong album, but it does have some killer riffs and a relentlessly chugging dark sound. Good enough if you like that sorta thing, I guess.

By the way, wasn't it the Fields of the Nephilim who started the thing with dousing themselves in flour/talcum powder before going on stage, like NIN (and others) used to do?
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #11
darkcell_

actually i read the newbies thread MrMaelstrom and said that whoever wants to introduce oneself should do it in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF thread. i didn't introduce myself and i didn't post a thread that allready exists. so..

as for the "egg who is yet unfit" blah blah blah talk, being new to this forum doesn't mean i'm new to music or goth music in particular.

Peter: i am NOT talking of obscure bands that's the whole point.

anyways, sorry if i seemed offensive (not at all my intention), and i listen to most of the bands most of you listen to anyways. i just kinda detect some unwillingness from most people here to move on a bit beyond the well enstablished overplayed bands of distand past. there IS good music beyond bauhaus and SoM.

and by the way i'm not a "genre freak" i just can't see even the faintest resemblance between -let's say- einsturzende neubauten and kOrn.
darkcell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcell_
Peter: i am NOT talking of obscure bands that's the whole point.

and by the way i'm not a "genre freak" i just can't see even the faintest resemblance between -let's say- einsturzende neubauten and kOrn.
I'm not sure about that at all, but, I should give you the benefit of the doubt in case the reason I haven't heard of these bands by name at all is because I'm in the UK (making the assumption that you're not).
Old 09-28-2005, 12:21 AM   #13
Shemjazza

Fields of the Nephilim are Definitely not obscure (and are marvelous)... But of the other bands, i have only actualy heard nosferatu (and not enjoyed them but that is just my humble opinion). i know of lacrimosa, but the other names mean nothing to me, and i consider myself to be quite literate musicaly, but I maybe wrong. on a tangent, New Album by FotN, 'Mourning sun' released 11th Oct (euorpe) and Jan 06 US. the band now only consists of Carl McCoy as always seems to happen with old bands. there are straming samples of a couple of tracks on the SPV records website if anyone is interested.
in my opinion is seems like a more metal Elizium... (groundbreaking album by the way) i'd be interested to find out what other fans think of it, and Zoon (Nefilim)
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote