Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Linen

Cool DIY Beauty Treatments - share yours!

Hey there gals and gents, today I realized I was in need of a deep conditioner for my waist-length hair and something to lighten and cleanse my skin. I browsed through some things at Sally's and also the organic section of Target, but didn't find anything (reasonably priced) that appealed to me. So I did a search for some at-home recipes to suit my needs.

As we speak, I've got the following on my HAIR:
one ripe avocado +
half a jar of real mayo
(mashed together until smooth)

on my FACE, neck, and arms:
lemon juice
plain yogurt
baking soda
(mixed together into a semi- thick paste, and it will fizzle up so be careful!)

I will definitely post the results of everything lady, but so far I can say that for the skin treatment it seems to have almost instantly faded my freckles & taken some of the redness out (though I'm already fair skinned). I also feel it tightening my skin! LOL.

Lastly, it (the skin mix) smells AMAZING... like a lemon cake batter! I'm not a fan of lemon flavored anything, but that cake-batter smell is making me hungry lol.

So.... share your all natural beauty treatments, whether it's from fruits, veggies, herbs, etc.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
KontanKarite

Part of me just wants to point out that you got shit all over your head.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Solumina

I used to do that hair treatment all the time but I haven't in quite a while, it worked wonders for the frizzy mess that was my hair, I'll have to remember to pick up an avocado next time I'm out and about.

The only other homemade beauty treatment that I can remember loving is making a paste out of sugar and some lemon juice (fresh squeezed, not the liquid that you can buy), it makes a nice brightening facial scrub
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
TopHaggardDoll

I use soap and salt as an exfoliator once a week, it actually works really well!

And use Olive Oil and salt for the rest of your body...it makes your skin feel fantastic. You can even put 1-2 drops of essential oil in the olive oil....so you smell less like an olive.

You can use sugar aswell, but I get abit dubious about using it and getting sticky everywhere...you get me?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

Keep in mind that sugar and salt are very rough on your skin.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
electrosexual

I don't usually go DIY for my skincare as my skin's very sensitive. But I've found it can take the fortnightly or so yoghurt and lemon mask for paling. I use it on my dècolletè and backs of my hands too.

I don't do it as much nowadays though because I find that since using an SPF40 sunscreen on my face, I'm pretty pale anyway.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
korinna5555

I love the yogurt and lemon juice mix.. I tan extremely easily, so it helps.
I love tea tree oil for taking care of zits. I also like using dilute rosemary-infused vinegar as a final rinse for hair.

I need something to get rid of my extremely ruddy cheeks..
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Linen

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Er... yeah, the hair stuff ended up being very difficult to get out. I rinsed and rinsed, and even shampooed my scalp with organic shampoo to no avail. My hair is ridiculously shiny (I mean SHINY as a brand new penny), but I had to braid it last night and today b/c it is just matted to my head now LMAO. Oh well, live and learn, right? It probably did me some good, but next time I'll use about 1/4th the amount of mixture, and just apply it to my length.

As for the facial treatment, I noticed this morning that my face looked wonderfully pale, but not a lot of difference in my arms. I have a billion freckles though. I am going to do what eletrosexual suggested & keep doing it nightly for awhile to get maximum results. I've also realized it's been sunny enough out lately that I really need to apply that 50 SPF sunscreen even though I'm just driving to work b/c my arms are getting that awful pinkish tone.... getting more freckles too.

The scrubs sound good, but as ophelia mentioned it can be a bit rough if you do it too often. I do have a peppermint/sage body scrub that I use occasionally, but I didn't make it myself.

Teatree oil is great, but I notice it doesn't *always* work for me the way it should (have you ever used a tea trea oil shampoo though? HAIRGASM!). Sometimes I apply it to my piercings if they get inflamed, though some piercers advise against it.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Scotty_Sunday

*Glares at the avocado in the list* I'd wanna take out the avocado. I don't know why, but anything with avocado in it gives me a great allergic reaction. Had my throat close up before, quite scary O.o
Scotty_Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Solumina

A note about the using sugar and/or salt in a scrub: you shouldn't use a scrub like that any more than once a week
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I need something to get rid of my extremely ruddy cheeks..
Ack I know how you feel >.< I think I've the early signs of my mother's Rosacea :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
I am going to do what eletrosexual suggested & keep doing it nightly for awhile to get maximum results.
Say whaa? Oh be careful! Yoghurt/lemon's pretty tough on the skin. That's why I only use it every 2 weeks, if even.

Also, regarding sunscreen. I read before that 90 something percent of sun rays actually penetrate the clouds. So it's best to just use a sunscreen all throughout the summer for every day. Also, it's a good idea to get ones that can be used on the eye and lip area, as they're prone to damage too.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
electrosexual

Also, I make a pretty mean foot scrub with sea salt, olive oil and lime oil.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
Jezabeth

I recently found a way to help improve the quality of my skin and hair. I have been heavily into the gothic lo lita fashion and i understand that a lo lita is suppose to have porcelain like skin (not saying that i ever want to be one. i just like the good tip they give to get your face clean).
Steps: Set a pot of watter to boil and when it has reached the boil take it of and set on a hot pad. hold your face over it for 10 minutes and cover your head when you do this. When your done lift the towel to let some steem out. sit for 2 more minutes. If you have black heads take a tissue and gently rub your face with it. Next take 2 egg yokes with one table spoon olive oil with on good egg white whipped fluffy with one table spoon lemon juice and past it onto your face. Let it site for a good 20 minutes then rinse with cool water. Apply toner with cotton ball and sweep over face and let it dry. Then splash your face with water and massage your face with facial lotion of your choice. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then press tissues to your face to remove the excess. Wash your face at least once a day and every other day with exfoliating scrub.
Jezabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #14
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_Sunday
*Glares at the avocado in the list* I'd wanna take out the avocado. I don't know why, but anything with avocado in it gives me a great allergic reaction. Had my throat close up before, quite scary O.o
Eeek! That really sucks that you are allergic to avocado. I guess you have to be really careful in Mexican restaurants since a lot of things come topped with guacamole? Do you get that reaction just being near/touching it or only if you eat it? I know some people can't even be in the same room where peanuts have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
A note about the using sugar and/or salt in a scrub: you shouldn't use a scrub like that any more than once a week
Sounds about right. Any more than that is just harsh on your skin. And when I use a scrub (not homemade), I always heavilly moisturize my skin afterwards to make sure it doesn't dry out. I found this fabulous organic body lotion by Alba called "Very Emollient Body Lotion". It smells divine! You can find it at Target with all the organic bath stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Say whaa? Oh be careful! Yoghurt/lemon's pretty tough on the skin. That's why I only use it every 2 weeks, if even.

Also, regarding sunscreen. I read before that 90 something percent of sun rays actually penetrate the clouds. So it's best to just use a sunscreen all throughout the summer for every day. Also, it's a good idea to get ones that can be used on the eye and lip area, as they're prone to damage too.
*ROTFLMAO* @ my own choice of words in that response! It sounds very dirty ("do it nightly")! Mwuhaha.

When you said fortnight, I thought you meant you applied it every day for 2 weeks, not only every 2 weeks. Oops. Well perhaps I'll try once or twice a week... I'm impatient lol.

As for the sunscreen, I did know it can penetrate the clouds, but I just forget to apply it then b/c I don't have the obvious, glaring sun. In the winter I still put a lower SPF lotion on my face, but nothing on my arms b/c they are covered by long sleeves.

Anyone have a good suggestion for an oil-free sunblock/ daily moisturizer for the face that doesn't stink? I hate the smell of most sunscreens.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
Eeek! That really sucks that you are allergic to avocado. I guess you have to be really careful in Mexican restaurants since a lot of things come topped with guacamole? Do you get that reaction just being near/touching it or only if you eat it? I know some people can't even be in the same room where peanuts have been.

Sounds about right. Any more than that is just harsh on your skin. And when I use a scrub (not homemade), I always heavilly moisturize my skin afterwards to make sure it doesn't dry out. I found this fabulous organic body lotion by Alba called "Very Emollient Body Lotion". It smells divine! You can find it at Target with all the organic bath stuff.

*ROTFLMAO* @ my own choice of words in that response! It sounds very dirty ("do it nightly")! Mwuhaha.

When you said fortnight, I thought you meant you applied it every day for 2 weeks, not only every 2 weeks. Oops. Well perhaps I'll try once or twice a week... I'm impatient lol.

As for the sunscreen, I did know it can penetrate the clouds, but I just forget to apply it then b/c I don't have the obvious, glaring sun. In the winter I still put a lower SPF lotion on my face, but nothing on my arms b/c they are covered by long sleeves.

Anyone have a good suggestion for an oil-free sunblock/ daily moisturizer for the face that doesn't stink? I hate the smell of most sunscreens.
;D lol!

For my face, I use Clinique City block SPF40. It smells a bit sunscreen-y, but it's nothing like most of the sunscreens out there (I know what you mean about the smell). It's a bit pricey, it cost me 21 euros, not too sure what that is in other currencies though. But yeah, it's great! Not greasy either. And it doubles as a makeup base too and can be used on the eyelids. ^^

I heard good things about the Clarins one too.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Minyaliel

I use Ambre Solaire's kiddie products, they're quite okay although the SPF 50+ one is extremely runny.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #17
Solumina

I use this stuff from head to toe, it has a nice light scent, doesn't feel greasy at all, and doesn't aggravate my sensitive skin.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
korinna5555

I have either very mild rosacea, or something else that has similar ruddiness. I only have the redness, no pustules or broken capillaries. *thank the gods*
I still hate how pink my face is.. the rest of me is rather olive-complected, so I look like ivory. My face is pink, and I flush easily. *mope*
Old 06-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
acrossthedam

I take a COLD bath once a week, then as soon as I start to shiver i get out have a cup of tea in a blanket, mind that I however do not do it to the point of death or sickness but it does wonders for my skin. Heat seems to clog my pores and cause my skin to become unable to breath.
acrossthedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
korinna5555

Oooh. I agree ^. It also makes your hair really nice and soft.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #21
acrossthedam

^ I noticed your complaint about pink or red cheeks... well it's a little wierd but my grandmother takes Cold mint tea bags on her cheeks to make them not look as flushed.

put two mint tea bags in cold water over night and then lay them on your cheeks for 20ish minuits, it works pretty well and the minty smell is kind of nice, it also opens your pores and gives you this nice fresh skin feeling.
acrossthedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #22
korinna5555

I've tried it, but thanks
It only helps for about ten minutes after I take the bags off.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #23
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Keep in mind that sugar and salt are very rough on your skin.
I have WELL shit skin, and it works really well for me, you're only meant to do it once a month though...not everyday. Otherwise it'd be pretty bad.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #24
Cicero

I use salt+honey+a tiny bit of light olive oil every few weeks as a body scrub. Makes my skin feel awesome.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #25
ApothoKeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I have either very mild rosacea, or something else that has similar ruddiness. I only have the redness, no pustules or broken capillaries. *thank the gods*
I still hate how pink my face is.. the rest of me is rather olive-complected, so I look like ivory. My face is pink, and I flush easily. *mope*
The green tinted Murad is the product you need for that.

http://www.murad.com/redness-products.html

I don't have rosacea but I do use this to go from a cool complexion to a neutral and it does work great, you can't see the green at all once on either, it just balances. I don't use the whole system, just the facial lotion under makeup, it has SPF 15 in it too but not many antioxidants, so you need an antioxidant cream at night.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote