Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #26
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel View Post
Foot & JCC - You know what, I donīt really care what you think of me. And really, you donīt seem to have a very good overview over the branches of Satanism, JCC, which isnīt really all that strange, since most of it is going on underground (no pun intended). I donīt feel the need to defend myself or my religious choices to people like you, who are quite clearly not disposed to discussing these matters respectfully and maturely and so I will refrain from doing so. If you really are interested in a serious discussion on more agreeable terms, I donīt mind, but at the moment I see no point in pursuing this conversation any further. Let us return to the topic at hand.
You don't have to defend your religious beliefs. Explain them first, and then if they suck and I tell you so, you can defend them.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #27
Minyaliel

*shakes head at self* Iīm sorry if I overreacted - remind me not to post in threads like these after philosophy classes, Iīm really tired. I think the thing that set me off was Footīs comment - I was honestly rather offended by that, and then lumped everything together. And my post came off looking rather sharper than intended. Alright, if youīre really interested... Iīll try to answer you when my headīs working properly again - I need to sleep. :P Thereīs only so much time you can spend listening to lectures on Singer and animal rights before your brain goes into hibernation. (I wonder if thatīs where Peta failed?)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #28
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel View Post
*shakes head at self* Iīm sorry if I overreacted - remind me not to post in threads like these after philosophy classes, Iīm really tired. I think the thing that set me off was Footīs comment - I was honestly rather offended by that, and then lumped everything together. And my post came off looking rather sharper than intended. Alright, if youīre really interested... Iīll try to answer you when my headīs working properly again - I need to sleep. :P Thereīs only so much time you can spend listening to lectures on Singer and animal rights before your brain goes into hibernation. (I wonder if thatīs where Peta failed?)

Why didn't you just wait untill you could respond, instead of making a post about how you couldn't currently answer his post?
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #29
Smells Like A Foot

Because excuses taste good?
Smells Like A Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #30
Mir

DRM: To apologize for her reaction, and that she saw his point, and would respond in depth if needed?

Seriously, you guys... lets all cut each other a little slack here and there.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #31
JCC

Where's Minyaliel? I want to hear about her Satanism.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #32
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Where's Minyaliel? I want to hear about her Satanism.
I have been busy writing my BA paper. :P Anyway, Mir, thanks. Someone got the point, at least.

I write this in the (probably very foolish) trust that you will take this as one individualīs beliefs. I donīt follow any set dogma; possibly with the exception of the phrase "the only constant is change", which to me means I am apt to change my beliefs as my experiences expand, among other things. I have believed many things over the years, and this is where I stand today.

Alright then, JCC, hereīs the deal. Iīm a theistic/ panentheistic Satanist, and I believe Iīve stated so on here before. I believe that there is a entity of some sort, which I currently think of as an energy or a force not unlike the Taoist concept of Qi, but with certain differences - I actually agree with philosophical Taoism on many points, although there are certain points that disagree with my worldview so totally that I choose to distance myself from the religion altogether. Anyway - for simplicity, I call this force "Satan" because it is an archetype that I look up to as ideal. Yes, I will openly admit I have been rather strongly influenced by certain Romantic writersī notions on this personae.
I believe that this force has been the inspiration for everything mankind has ever created, in a way. Thatīs my justification for my view of things like Chaos magic - I am not a practitioner myself (I am not quite certain messing with your brain is a good idea, and anyway I would feel silly to stand around in a black cowl chanting made- up syllables in the middle of the night) but I do see how it could fit in there. I mention this because many Satnists tend to do some sort of magic or rituals, and that this is quite well- known.
I believe that all deities that mankind has made up are essentially an aspect of that which I call Satan. In itself, Satan is quite indifferent to us humans, but through the deities we ourselves have created, these simplified archetypes that have been recorded throughout the ages, we can communicate with that part in ourselves that is a reflection of Satan - "As above, so below". The deities I personally feel most in touch with are Lucifer and Ishtar/ Selene.
Ironically enough, to those whom Iīve discussed this with before, my main concerns are harmony and balance in all. I believe that we, to attain happiness, must create a balance in our lives, and strive to maintain a balance in our surroundings. To state this more accurately, to obtain a "good" microcosmos (for instance yourself) youīre utterly dependant on a "good" macrocosmos (in this example, your environment). Each must find their own way to do this. I use the term "good" in lack of a better word here.
Philosophically speaking I tend more toward relativism, although I am on an intellectual level sceptical toward the actual value of the system itself. I do, however, largely agree with the statements set up by Kant in his treatise on morals (I donīt know the translated title of the volume, sorry). I have a big grudge with him when it comes to his view of women, but that is an entirely different matter altogether.
I tend to value intuition, emotions and feeling more than pure reason alone, and I know this does reflect in my spiritual beliefs as well. The optimal thing is of course a balance in these things as well.
The thing is, my religious views are so intricately related to my life and my experiences that separating the two would be quite useless, and thus it is very difficult for me to really describe my beliefs without also telling you my entire life story and every aspect of my personality, and that would already be enough material for a very large book. It would be much easier for me to answer specific questions. :P But these are the basics, on such a limited time as I have at the moment. It has already taken me about an hour to write this, and I have to return my attention to my school work.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #33
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qgirl View Post
Do you believe sloth, greed, lust, gluttony, anger, envy, and pride are sins?
Not if done in moderation! :-D

Or, as I say in my signature in another place, "Lead me not into temptation ... follow me, I know a shortcut!"

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #34
eternalcrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
Not if done in moderation!
Shoot, I was going to say basically the same thing

I don't think "sloth, greed, lust, gluttony, anger, envy, and pride" in themselves are sins.

I think it's excess or dwelling on them that make them "sins".
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Darling View Post
They are considered sins by the curch.Actually the Curch invented the idea of ''sin''.I don't belive in God first of all I belive that I am my own God and that I am responsable for all the stupid things that I do.Those are not sins those are just examples of human nature.You're not going to burn in hell just becouse you have a little bit of pride [or more] and so on....
...You want a cookie, now?
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #36
CrossDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qgirl View Post
Do you believe sloth, greed, lust, gluttony, anger, envy, and pride are sins?
They are listed as the seven deadly sins. Which, if any, of the seven deadly sins do you feel are bad?
I keep my faith private, so I won't common on whether or not they are "sins", but I think a few of these are bad just on points of practicality.

First of all, to me sloth (by definition) means you accomplish nothing, and I regard accomplishing things as a good thing. So, since sloth means means you aren't accomplishing something, then I think it's "bad".

Second, gluttony should eventually put you in poor health, and I view better health to be a good thing, so I view it as bad.

Third, I find envy and pride accomplishes nothing, so referring back to point one, I view it to be "bad".
CrossDream is offline   Reply With Quote