Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #76
Demonista_Ravenesque

.A Sony LCD Flatscreen Hundred something centimeters
.$5000
.Kill Bill Vol. 1&2
.Gish by The Smashing Pumpkins
.A year's supply of chocolates
.A Wardrobe full of camo - pattern clothes
.An Eyetoy
.A bunch of Dog Collars
.A feast at the MK

That was actually my Bday and Christmas presents combined

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #77
Kraagesh

I got:
1) Crossbow
2) Mp3 player
3) New job (9000$/month)
4) Snowboard
5) Nokia 8800
Kraagesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #78
sensuous0mar

Xmas is long gone...does anyone really care anymore? I mean half my shit from xmas is broken already.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #79
Queenofdarkness57

I got an Ipod ( which isn't working anymore, are they all bad quality?!)
A computer and a dog (which I hapenned to return few days later ).
Old 02-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #80
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraagesh
I got:
5) Nokia 8800
WHATT!! That cell phone is HAWT!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #81
sensuous0mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofdarkness57
Are your parents loaded? I've been asking for an iPod for years now and still haven't gotten one. They're too expensive and I'm sure I'll never get one. Let alone an iPod, a computer AND a dog at the same time! The price of your iPod...that's probably all of my christmas gifts combined (from my parents.) And I was actually happy. People with money make me sad

Why can't they start a college fund instead of wasting it on toys?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #82
Wise Child

I got... love.

God bless us, everyone.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #83
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensuous0mar
Are your parents loaded?

Why can't her parents use the money they have earned to spoil their children a bit, if it makes them happy?
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #84
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofdarkness57
Why'd you have to return the puppy, succubus? Aww. Having to give up pets is the worst. We had to give away a cat, once. I still feel the stake in my heart when I picture his little cute whiskery face.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #85
Empty_Purple_Stars

Awww..

Here's some cute E-Kitties to put a smile on your face.

The last one is my favorite.. He looks like he's part Bulldog.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #86
Wise Child

One, two, three:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Look at the cuties!! Kitties are the bestest, precious little snuggle bunnies. Okay, that sounded weird. I don't like them TOO much, or anything...

<_<

>_>

HOW fucken cute though?

That last one actually looks very similar to one of my uncles... that's some spooky shit.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #87
sensuous0mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
Why can't her parents use the money they have earned to spoil their children a bit, if it makes them happy?

Because material posessions that will be broken or obsolete in a few years are most definitely worth as much as an education...makes sense to me.

I don't mean to be cocky about this, but I am very passionate about education, which most of us are. I also think we live in a society where too much emphasis is put on what we have, not what we know or can share. I think it's really sad and living in such a monetary society really does us in something bad. Everything has to be worth a dollar amount, has to be the newest and best, we have to out-do everyone. Why? Because we feel that if we have money now we should spend it frivolously on things we don't need or things that we will only use for a very short period of time. We've forgotten how to invest for our futures and so many people are in debt up to their eyeballs because of it.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 PM   #88
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Because material posessions that will be broken or obsolete in a few years are most definitely worth as much as an education...makes sense to me.

I don't mean to be cocky about this, but I am very passionate about education, which most of us are. I also think we live in a society where too much emphasis is put on what we have, not what we know or can share. I think it's really sad and living in such a monetary society really does us in something bad. Everything has to be worth a dollar amount, has to be the newest and best, we have to out-do everyone. Why? Because we feel that if we have money now we should spend it frivolously on things we don't need or things that we will only use for a very short period of time. We've forgotten how to invest for our futures and so many people are in debt up to their eyeballs because of it.
Like Eyes said, Who's to say they haven't already done so for their Daughter?

And if you have been asking for an Ipod for 'years' then obviously you must place some value on Material Possessions.

We teach our Children the value of Gifts given from the Heart, as well as the value of an Education. One does not preclude the other in our Family. Sometimes we are blessed enough to do lots for the lots for the kids at Christmas, sometimes we just can't.

But I for one take pleasure in picking out something special that the Boys will enjoy.

We as Parents, work hard so we can have the luxury of doing nice things for our kids.

This is what you said;

Quote:
Are your parents loaded? I've been asking for an iPod for years now and still haven't gotten one.

They're too expensive and I'm sure I'll never get one.

Let alone an iPod, a computer AND a dog at the same time!

The price of your iPod...that's probably all of my christmas gifts combined
(from my parents.)

And I was actually happy.

People with money make me sad

So if you were 'Happy' with the gifts you received, why the 'Sour Grapes'?

I'm not trying to be an Ass, but you totally contradicted yourself in your Post.

She got a gift you have always wanted, and asserted you would never recieve.

Then you remarked that all of your presents COMBINED wouldn't equal the price of an Ipod.

Followed by " I was actually Happy.."

Afterwhich you concluded People with Money make you sad, and they should have started a college fund instead.

See my point?

My Parents are fortunate enough to be Wealthy.

They don't make me 'Sad', they make me Proud.

They taught me the value of Hard Work, and how to appreciate what we had. To this day, they still donate 15% of their annual income to various Charities, and sometimes more. They don't hoarde their money, or feel that they are better than anyone else because of what they have. They worked hard to get to where they are financially.

Sure, there were always Kids who had MORE than I did, but there were always Kids who had LESS than I did, as well.

It never made any difference to me one way or the other. It was never about the dollar signs attached to the gifts I received. It was about the fact that they took the time, to do things for my Brother and I that they knew would bring a special smile to our face. No, I never got EXACTLY what I wanted every Christmas, but it didn't matter.

They also taught me the Value of an Education, and spent more money than I will ever know, making sure I received the best possible schooling available.

As a result, I will be the first person in my Family to graduate with a College Degree.

So it's not always so Black and White..

That's my 1.9 Cents on the Subject..

*Climbs off Soapbox*

Last edited by Empty_Purple_Stars; 02-19-2006 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Grammar Nazi
Old 02-19-2006, 03:40 AM   #89
Sanctus Dei

Wow Omar, you have a bitter issue to deal with or what?

My family... well my mom... is well off, she works damn hard for every penny too. She lavishes decent gifts on my sister and I every christmas because she enjoys the light in our eyes when we receive them, and I'll admit during the gift giving season I'm spoiled...

but

I feel slightly insulted by the stereotype you've placed on people in a well off position. I've had a job since I was fourteen and I work hard for my own posessions. I've attended three years worth of college, half of which I financed myself, and I intend to return with in a few months and pay for it solo. Now in reference to your attack on the value of education.. I've been an A-B student my entire school career, I value education as I do my left arm so where you got such an idea from is beyond me.

See, I believe I must earn my own way in life reguardless of the one day a year I am spoiled infact just this year I was given a laptop for christmas... but I payed 300 of the 500 it cost to take some of the burden off the mom.

Really darlin'...Let parents enjoy their children's joy, it doesn't always have do with monetary value, most of the time its merely love and the spirit of giving.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:17 AM   #90
Wise Child

*confiscates Santarea's kitten mallet and adopts Clint Eastwood voice* Leave. The kittens. Where they are.

*catches sight of Santarea's knuckle dusters*

Um... please?

Old 02-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #91
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Are your parents loaded? I've been asking for an iPod for years now and still haven't gotten one. They're too expensive and I'm sure I'll never get one. Let alone an iPod, a computer AND a dog at the same time! The price of your iPod...that's probably all of my christmas gifts combined (from my parents.) And I was actually happy. People with money make me sad

No, they're not loaded but I was a really good girl so.... And of course I have a college fund!
Old 02-19-2006, 07:46 AM   #92
sensuous0mar

Okay, well that's good then. I just hope they have the means to afford all of that for you without jeopardizing their financial soundness. If that makes sense. Because my parents are what people would call upper middle class and they could never afford to give that kind of stuff all at once without going into debt. I'm a college student and I know all about debt. I worry about things like that.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #93
sensuous0mar

In response to everyone:

When I hear things like "i got an iPod and a computer" or from some of my friends - all three children in the family got an iPod for Christmas the year they came out - when they were still $500 - plus other gifts, I wonder "how can people do that? Honestly do they really make that much money that they can drop 1500 on just 3 gifts? And then buy more?" I guess my family and myself included must just be the dirt on all of your shoes. The poor that beg for your charity. The urchins that line the pristine streets of your suburbs, because we obviously don't understand what it's like to have money and we're obviously clueless about all of this "giving expensive gifts" talk, and going to private schools - also out of our league, hell, for all you know, we can't even afford to drive a car.

I'm scum. So waste me, why don't you?
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #94
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:

I guess my family and myself included must just be the dirt on all of your shoes. The poor that beg for your charity. The urchins that line the pristine streets of your suburbs, because we obviously don't understand what it's like to have money and we're obviously clueless about all of this "giving expensive gifts" talk, and going to private schools - also out of our league, hell, for all you know, we can't even afford to drive a car.

See, that was totally uncalled for..

Totally and completely..

I attempted to offer you another perspective..

A very valid perspective.

I certainly won't make that mistake again..
Old 02-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #95
Sanctus Dei

Now your making no sense. No one was attacking your social or finanical status...but you were attacking anyone who stood to offer their children a nice christmas. Hell, I'm not a parent and I don't blink about spending over a grand on my family... but what you don't seem to be taking into consideration, people tend to BUDGET for these things. They have the capability to decide far ahead of time to save money just for certain occasions.. Vacations, Christmas, etc etc...

I guess I can understand that maybe you've discovered a thread of jealousy within your psyche that may cause you to irrationally attack the good fortune others may receive one day a year but seriously, deal with it. There are levels of wealth all over the nation, some children stand to receive over $1,000 in gifts where others are lucky to get $25 worth what does it matter to you?? What the hell is wrong with just being greateful for what you have and who your parents are?

My mother once drove bus, did daycare...and we never received more then $100-$200 worth in gifts, now she's a single parent but she's fought her way up in the world put herself through Real Estate school and now can afford $500+ dollars worth in gifts for her children... it's a personal accomplishment for her and I'm proud of her for it. Plus she's taught me to work hard for what I want.

So I wonder, are you proud of your parents and their accomplishments?? It seriously sounds as though you have a few issues with this matter...because if you really appreciated all they have done for you in life, whatever the rest of the world is privlaged to receive wouldn't matter to you.

Omar, you're not scum... just in a bad mood perhaps? But you should back up alittle though your sarcasam is horribly misplaced and severly bordering on insulting for no respectable reason.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #96
sensuous0mar

For everyone's information before I go, I never said anything about disrespecting my parents or being unhappy with what they give me. I look up to my parents more than anyone could ever understand and they've work harder their whole lives than anyone else I have ever seen, heard of, or met. I only said that I didn't know how people came up with all that money. I've never been well off, I don't know what it's like to have ass loads of money to spend on things for myself and other people. This is why I don't understand. And I said that I would always think to myself "do these people really make that much money?" Didn't you catch that part? It was awe, and some confusion because I've never been there. Tear me limb from limb for being poor and confused if you want to, but if that's the way you treat someone after they've been here a while and make one wrong move, then I don't know if I really need or want to stay and be belittled and berated. It's not worth losing my good mental health. So long, tell Xnguela I guess I'll see her around.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #97
sensuous0mar

Can we drop this completely now and forever? Because nobody is understanding what I wanted to say. I said something wrong but it wasn't meant the way that some took it. People are enjoying taking what I said and turning it into what they wanted to hear out of it and it's really just wrong. Everything you are saying is wrong. That's not how I feel, that's not how I am, how many god damn times do I have to say that?

Merry effing Christmas and Happy Birthday, Wendy.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #98
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
For everyone's information before I go, I never said anything about being unhappy with what they give me.
Oh Really?

To reiterate, this is what you said..

Quote:
Are your parents loaded? I've been asking for an iPod for years now and still haven't gotten one.

They're too expensive and I'm sure I'll never get one.

Let alone an iPod, a computer AND a dog at the same time!

The price of your iPod...that's probably all of my christmas gifts combined
(from my parents.)

And I was actually happy.

People with money make me sad

Quote:
Tear me limb from limb for being poor and confused if you want to
That's my favorite part.

Now We were tearing you 'limb from limb' for being 'poor and confused'.

Right.

And so we're Crystal Clear, I never said I was wealthy by any stretch of the word..

I said MY PARENTS were Wealthy..

However, I myself don't have two Pennies to rub together currently..

I am paying for my OWN College Education, because I am an adult and prefer to take care of myself. The ONLY thing my family helps me with, is my Medical Bills. And ONLY when I can't handle them on my own. Not because they don't care, but because I prefer to make my own way in the world.

And lets talk about being Poor and Confused..

Have you ever had to dig through Garbage Cans for something to eat?

I Have.

Have you ever had to find a doorway to sleep in OUTDOORS, hoping no one Jumped you while you slept?

I Have.

Have you ever gone more than ten days without Food, so your child could have something to eat?

I Have.

Have you ever donated your own Blood Plasma to buy Diapers and Formula for your Baby?

I Have.

So before you climb up on your " I am so Poor " " You Guys Are So Rich " High Horse, I suggest that you have not one clue what REALLY being desperately poor means.

I have made some really stupid decisions in my life, and they landed my son and I in situations I PRAY you NEVER experience.

So you can remove any thoughts you have of me being some Little Rich Girl with no idea what the bottom smells like.

My son and I were also on Food Stamps and received TANF for several years, while I clawed my way back up from the bottom.

So don't tell me about being Poor and Confused, because you haven't even been out in the REAL WORLD long enough to understand the Harsh Reality that awaits those who lose their way.

All of this could have been avoided so easily, WiTHOUT your shitty attitude.

I was respectful in my Post to you, I simply did not understand nor appreciate the remarks you made, and the envy that dripped from your obvious anger at not being given the Gifts you wanted.

To which you responded with;

Quote:
In response to everyone:

I guess my family and myself included must just be the dirt on all of your shoes.
The poor that beg for your charity.
The urchins that line the pristine streets of your suburbs, because we obviously don't understand what it's like to have money and we're obviously clueless about all of this "giving expensive gifts" talk, and going to private schools
- also out of our league, hell, for all you know, we can't even afford to drive a car.

And you wonder why everyone crawled up your ass afterwards..

And then you try and backpedal by saying;

Quote:

I only said that I didn't know how people came up with all that money. I've never been well off, I don't know what it's like to have ass loads of money to spend on things for myself and other people. This is why I don't understand.

And I said that I would always think to myself "do these people really make that much money?" Didn't you catch that part? It was awe, and some confusion because I've never been there.
If that was what you had said to begin with, NONE of this would have happened.

How friggin hard would it have been to say;

" Ya know, you're right.. What I said totally came out wrong. I wasn't in a good mood or whatever and I didn't mean to sound so hateful and envious. "

Case Closed.

But instead you responded with;

Quote:
In response to everyone:

I guess my family and myself included must just be the dirt on all of your shoes.
The poor that beg for your charity.
The urchins that line the pristine streets of your suburbs, because we obviously don't understand what it's like to have money and we're obviously clueless about all of this "giving expensive gifts" talk, and going to private schools
- also out of our league, hell, for all you know, we can't even afford to drive a car.

Just to refresh your memory, in case me quoting it the first time up there ^^ didn't sink in to your brain.

What you were really mad about in my opinion was this;

Quote:

Xmas is long gone...does anyone really care anymore?

I mean half my shit from xmas is broken already.
You just couldn't stand it that other people got things of a more exspensive nature, when 'half' of your things were broken.

It's so incredibly silly, that your posts and my observations about the contradictions within them caused you to respond in such an Ugly Fashion to the rest of us.

If that's how you respond when someones tries to offer you a different perspective on a particular subject, you are in for a very rude awakening when you graduate.

Either way, I wash my hands of your hateful and manipulative attempts at making us feel guilty.

The. End.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #99
Empty_Purple_Stars

I appreciate your attempts to diffuse the situation Xng.

I certainly never expected that a simple observation would be met with such hostility.

Sorry you have to get dragged into the middle of this.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #100
sensuous0mar

I'm sorry that you felt the need to be my friend and stick up for me, Xng. You really didn't need to. I like being dogshit.