Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Solumina

Looking for a corset

Do any of you wonderful people know of any places to get a nice underbust corset that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (cloth is preferable as I would like to be able to wear it to a ren fair and leather will most likely be out of my price range)? I have tried googeling for one but most of them have been either out of my price range (I would like to spend less than $30 before shipping but I would go up to $50 for a well made one) or have been of questionable quality (and lacking any real boning) . (I know ebay can be a great place to find them but I would be a bit worried about quality so if you have any dealings with an ebay store quality feedback would be greatly appreciated)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Katanshin

<------- Click one of the advertisers in the box to your LEFT

Edit: Refresh a few times until it appears!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Katanshin

Swiped the ads here:

marvellous gothic dresses of velvet lace dresses
www.larp-fashion.de/GothicDresses
Quality Underbust Corsets
Wide Selection, Immediate Delivery $99 Made with Steel Bones and Busk
www.timeless-trends.com
Corsets and Bustiers
Corsets, Bustiers, and Girdles Huge Selection in Regular and Plus
stockingstore.com
Gothic Corsets
Find Gothic Corsets Here. Search for Gothic Corsets.
AllTheCorsets.info
Full range of Court Royal
Sexy, Luxury corsets from Court Royal. Buy online from UK store!
www.luxuryfrenchlingerie.com

Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
kitten

Etsy. There are some decent prices and talented people on there.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
DeathChii

If you really are looking for something cheap, you should try ebay.

[your price range is quite low for a corset]
The cheapest well done corset I've ever seen was 60$ and it was on sale. [normaly 99$]
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

Like Chii said, I highly doubt you're going to find one for that price, unless you want plastic boning, which is mostly crap. www.trashydiva.com has some nice ones, but they're all over $100.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Solumina

I know that it is a bit on the cheap side but I know I have seen some nice ones from leather workers for $75 (and they had real boning to them) so I figured that you could knock some off if it was cloth instead but if you all think that is unrealistic then chances are you're right I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay a bit more (and be pissed that I didn't get one of those for $75 when I had the chance)
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
DeathChii

Yeah I still suggest checking E-bay cause it's the cheapest you can go- I mean you can get some real bargains. Do you have any corset selling stores in your area? Sometimes they have a few on sale [I got mine on sale] even some good websites have sales ^^ Where do you live? If you get a site for your country shipping gets cut a lot.
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Velvet_Mansfield

Velvetgarden sellers sometime have some decent corsets for pretty cheap (under $60).
I think someone already said it, but Etsy has some nice stuff too.
Velvet_Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Solumina

I wish that there were something around here (although if I'm patient next summer that same leather worker should be at the Loudoun Celtic fest thingie). I haven't really looked around school as when I am down there I don't really have much free time during the day.

Also I have been looking at ebay (and I think that is most likely the route that I will take) but I was wondering if any of you could make a recommendation of good ebay shops/sellers to look at
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
Valerius

I suggest you go take a look at www.ipso-facto.com, or www.arsenicfashions.com

I usually buy some of the hard-to-get stuff from Ipso, and I know for a fact that they have some pretty affordable pieces there.

For a really extensive list of online sellers go to www.batgearbeyond.com. They have some really cool stores listed there.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #12
Kodachi

Ooo, I just went to Otakon and had tried on corsets at two really nice places. I'll try to get the contact info for you. They're steel insets, underbust and reeeeaaally nice.

Ok, after overcoming being lethargic, I found the info.

One site is called Timeless-Trends.c.om <--- Really nice underbust corsets. Their prices may be a bit hefty but see what you can find since there are such thing as sales

The other is really nice. The owner is fantastic, generous and really nice. Plus she also sells gothic clothing, hair falls, loli.ta clothing as well as corsets. Her site is ladyheathersfashions.n.et. See what you can find.

Take out the periods on "com" and "net". Apparently I'm still too new for posting links
Kodachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 AM   #13
chelseagirl

This is the cheapest place I've ever bought from. The quality is pretty good...not as good as, say, Starkers.com or Meschantes.com, etc., but for the price it's not bad.

http://store.delilahscollection.com/fabriccorsets1.html

You are NOT going to find a decent quality steel boned corset for $30.00, unless it's maybe a used one from ebay.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Like Chii said, I highly doubt you're going to find one for that price, unless you want plastic boning, which is mostly crap. www.trashydiva.com has some nice ones, but they're all over $100.
Well Heavyred has some pretty okay ones for cheap. Mine was only 90 bucks...of course, it started to de-thread and now the steel boning is sticking out...I need to fix that.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
Solumina

boo these things are more expensive than I remember them being (I was looking for on a few years ago and I swear there were some between $40 and $50) oh well, maybe I will just get really motivated, get the sewing machine out from under the pile of clothes that need to be altered, and just make one (I really wanted to avoid all that work but it looks like it will be worth it if I would be paying over $90) now I just have to go find some steel boning
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #16
Solumina

And yeah I know they take forever to make and you need to have a great deal of patients as well as skill with fabric but hey as long as I stay on my meds (and avoid consuming any caffeine) I should be able to concentrate and hopefully my hands wont shake too badly
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
And yeah I know they take forever to make and you need to have a great deal of patients as well as skill with fabric but hey as long as I stay on my meds (and avoid consuming any caffeine) I should be able to concentrate and hopefully my hands wont shake too badly
Very true, I did make a corset for a friend a few months ago. I spent about 25 hours on making this one. Steel boning is kinda hard to avoid when sewing it in without hitting the machine needle on it, grrrrr. I did enjoy the outcome of my work on it and my friend really like it, not to mention it was a perfect fit too. I pretty much just did a few hours each night so that way I didn't have to drink any Red Bull to stay awake to pull a marathon on getting it done. That is why I don't like doing deadlines, it's too much stress getting something done and it ends up looking like crap.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
Very true, I did make a corset for a friend a few months ago. I spent about 25 hours on making this one. Steel boning is kinda hard to avoid when sewing it in without hitting the machine needle on it, grrrrr. I did enjoy the outcome of my work on it and my friend really like it, not to mention it was a perfect fit too. I pretty much just did a few hours each night so that way I didn't have to drink any Red Bull to stay awake to pull a marathon on getting it done. That is why I don't like doing deadlines, it's too much stress getting something done and it ends up looking like crap.

If i buy your a few cartons of red bull and somehow fly to the us will you make me one lol. On a side note i have a feeling dark gentleman is after people in corsets not corsets them selves. :P
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
Do you have any tips? This will be the first one that I have made, I'm a little nervous that I am going to manage to screw it up
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #20
thedoll

www.timeless-trends.com

They are the only people I feel comfortable buying underbusts from but I dont think they are quite period. They have the best pricing for spring steel boned (really good quality) corsets I have seen. Plus the owner is a super nice guy!

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
thedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
I suggest you go take a look at www.ipso-facto.com, or www.arsenicfashions.com
My friend bought a corest from arsenic fasions for prom, and the entire zipper broke while she was at dinner. It could just be a freak occurance, but something to keep in mind.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #22
Solumina

yeah I've been looking at timeless (and if I decided to get another one chances are they is where I'm going to go) but they just don't have the right thing (actually most places that were under a few hundred don't have anything close to what I want) I guess that is just the last little push for me to make my own
-Carbon Leaf
Old 07-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #23
thedoll

good luck, my mistake when making my first bodice (corset with straps) is the boning has to be sewed a certain way! Just be careful!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #24
DarkGentleman

Solumina, here's my advice:

Do some research first on the types of corsets that is suitable to your skill level, I would highly recommend you start with a underbust style as your first one since it is the easiest one.

I read an article from VoguePatterns issue Dec2006/Jan2007, it had an incredible resource on the basics for corset making. It was titled "Boning up on Foundations", if you can find this back issue, you are all set to know the basics.

I also recommend two patterns: McCalls #M4861 and Butterick #4254.

Here's also some links that may help too.

http://www.elizabethancostume.net/corsets/

http://www.corsetheaven.com/corsets/...set_making.asp

Hope this helps. Be patient, if you make mistakes, don't give up, just simply try again because it takes a bit of practice.

To answer Lucretia_my_Reflection's curiousity. I do admire seeing women in a corset simply because it makes them look sexier and more feminine. I had the urge to make one after a friend asked me to try making one for her sister's birthday present. It actually turned out well.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #25
Solumina

okay so now that I am just about ready to sit down and start to sew this damn thing I realized that I have no idea where I can get the metal boning. Any help?
-Carbon Leaf