Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Dolly Glass

Evening :) Short Bio

I'm Dolly Glass. I've been a long time lurker of goth communities and other such things but have only recently gained the bravery to finally start indulging myself in the gothic fashions I have so long admired.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I don't currently have a job but I'm slowly working on it. I spend much of my time reading or writing short stories. I'm also learning to knit and sew little things.

2. Where are you from?
I live in central Florida and have been here all my life. I enjoy my homestate but do wish to visit other places such as New Orleans, Savannah, N.Y. and Annaheim.

3. Who is your favorite author?
What a difficult question. I adore J.D. Salinger, as my username alludes to. Fitzgerald and Edwin Arlington Robinson both have very special places in my heart. Alice Hoffman always has the ability to enchant me while Charles de Lint helps open my eyesight a little when it comes to the mixing of fantasy of reality.
Then, of course I have soft spot for vampire novels such as Lost Souls, Sunshine, and Interview with the Vampire.

4. What are your favorite films?
Repo! The Genetic Opera is hands down my absolute favorite film of all time. I practically know it by heart. Pan's Labrynth, American Psycho, Lost Boys, Funny Games and Hunchback of Notre Dame (the animated Disney one) are also ones I enjoy often. I actually enjoy most of the animated Disney movies.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I don't plan on getting married because I don't particularly believe in it .(though I would never dissuade someone from going through with it)
If I had to choose I would play a variety of genres since my tastes often bounce between bands like Mindless Self Indulgence to Florence + the Machine to Stars and several things in between.
The actual isle and first dance song would depend on who I loved enough to convince me to get married.

6. At your funeral?
Dead Hearts or One More Night (Your Ex-Lover is Still Dead) by Stars

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
After unreasonable success on several books I will suddenly no longer be able to write so in a fit of despair I will drown myself in the ocean at night.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
A plain but pretty cherry wood with some sort of female figure statue as my headstone.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My fitting little black dress with baby doll sleeves. I usually wear a pin-striped vest over it, black opaque panty-hose and grey suede flats with flowers on the toes. Then I have a necklace with the silver twisted into swirlies around black stones or a simple pearl necklace. Not the most exciting outfit but it's very versatile.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
The willful ignorance of what's wrong with your family and the ability to believe in fanciful things without science screaming logic in the back of my head.

11. What's your favorite band?
Does the Repo! soundtrack count?

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
Currently a Senior in high school. I plan to attend a private college and either major in Business Administration and go on to work for corporate Disney managing theme parks or something fashion related.

13. Why did you join?
To meet more people and have nice discussions as well as learn new things.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female.
Dolly Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
MissCheyenne

Welcome to Gnet

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Dolly Glass

Thank-you
I haven't really listened to any actual goth music besides The Cure but if anyone has any suggestions for music or literature or anything else I'm entirely open to them.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
MissCheyenne

Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Cinema Strange, Alien Sex Fiend, Big Electric Cat, Screams For Tina and 45 Grave. Some of it's deathrock rather than straight up goth but they are good places to start with music

I am your slice of pie
Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Dolly Glass

Thank-you again MissCheyenne.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
MissCheyenne

No problem. At least you didn't burst in shouting about how utterly goth you are and how no one could possibly be as goth as you

I am your slice of pie
Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Dolly Glass

XD Yes, I attempt to avoid declerations such as that as much as possible.

I thought that people with that mind set outgrew it by the end of high school until I talked to another senior girl who tends to think exactly that except she's 'alternative punk'...what that means I'm not entirely sure....
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Grausamkeit

You seem like you could be a promising new member.

Welcome!

MissC, Screams For Tina is a band most people don't even mention! Yes! Also, VooDoo Church and Kommunity FK(what are we, a deathrock board, now?).

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Saya

Hey!

I have to read Sunshine, I really like vampire novels but they have to be *GOOD* for me to enjoy them or else I get ragey. Did you read Let The Right One In yet?

Also, I love Disney too! I just did a course on Disney and Religion and it was one of the most fun courses I ever did, and gave me a huge new appreciation for Hunchback. Have you read Down And Out In The Magical Kingdom by Cory Doctorow yet?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post

MissC, Screams For Tina is a band most people don't even mention! Yes! Also, VooDoo Church and Kommunity FK(what are we, a deathrock board, now?).
I don't know why they get ignored so much, I really like Screams for Tina.

I am your slice of pie
Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Dolly Glass

Thank-you all

I downloaded Bela Lugosi's Dead, I figured it was a good place to start since Gothic Charm School has mentioned it several times. It reminded me of The Doors. I loved it! I can't wait to look up all your other suggestions.

I haven't read Let the Right One In or The Magical Kingdom. I actually haven't heard of them but I will look them up. I take a lot of advanced courses so I don't have a lot of free reading time. Of course I should be reading Jane Eyre and 1984 right now but I'm being occupied by the internet so I can't really use that as an excuse very often ^^'.

Yes, I really didn't appreciate Hunchback when I was younger (I prefered Lion King as a toddler and then Beauty and the Beast as a kid) but when I rewatched it in high school I absolutely fell in love. I know it's completely different from the original novel but it was still so dark and complex. I really didn't expect it. I especially admire what they did with Claude Frollo's character. He's just so human. I could go on forever about how he could represent the human struggles with society, morality, and basic desires but this probably isn't the place for it. x)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly Glass View Post
Thank-you all

I downloaded Bela Lugosi's Dead, I figured it was a good place to start since Gothic Charm School has mentioned it several times.
I love Gothic Charm School~ Have you read the book or do you just follow the blog? Welcome to Gnet by the way
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
Dolly Glass

Thankies

I followed the blog at first and later bought the book.
I really do love it, it's helped me have the bravery to just go for it, like I've always wanted but been too scared to do.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
TwistedPrincess

we have alot in common dolly. I actually have a tattoo of the zydrate gun and next toit it says "Zydrate addict" not to mention ialso live in central florida
TwistedPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
CuckooTuli

Welcome! If you're after the Lazy Girl's Guide to Goth, the suggestions got quiite involved here - complete with clicky linkies.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Dolly Glass

Thank-you Cuckoo. ^^ I love learning new things about the subculture (or any subculture really, I find them absolutely fascinating).

I've never been to Ocala, I live about 20 minutes south of St. Augustine. Is it nice there?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
TwistedPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly Glass View Post
Thank-you Cuckoo. ^^ I love learning new things about the subculture (or any subculture really, I find them absolutely fascinating).

I've never been to Ocala, I live about 20 minutes south of St. Augustine. Is it nice there?
not at all. i hate it here
TwistedPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Dolly Glass

Oh, how unfortunate. I suppose you're in position to move either. I don't like where I live either but will be moving further south in about a year. I love Florida itself, though I often feel lile the only one amongst my peers who does.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
DL Winters

You seem interesting.
Very nice to meet you.
DL Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
Dolly Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL Winters View Post
You seem interesting.
Very nice to meet you.
Thank you DL. Any questions? (Sorry, I havent been active on a forum in years)
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
DL Winters

Several I'm sure, and yet not many at the same time. Was fascinated by your interest.
DL Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
Noz

Well, first off, hey Dolly. That's a cool name you have there.

And if you want help on music to try out you're more than welcome to ask me.
I have a special place in my heart for all genres of music, but especially the dark variety.

Just to name a few; Lycia, Venetian Snares, Bloody Dead and Sexy, (I don't really like) Evanescence (but you may), Combichrist, Iosys (if you like J-pop), Faderhead, London After Midnight <3, CocoRosie, Yoko Hikasa, Touhou, Elusive, Skeletal Family, Angelspit, The Frozen Autumn, Strange Boutique, The Shroud, Goldfrapp.....

Let me know if you need any more, of if you like those!!!

P.S. And I'd have to say I'd want Pray by Lycia to play at my funeral. Such an powerful and emotional song.
Noz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #24
Dolly Glass

What can I say, I like learning new things. I was raised in a grunge surf community so for me aspects of Goth and Hippie subcultures werent that far of a stretch. I always had a gothy mindset with a hippie sense of style, it only seems natural to combine and experiment with the two, especially since I'll be going to college in several months and will have more freedom in my choices.
I've heard of Angelspit but cant quite recall the music and I havent listened to Evanesence since middle school. I look over the other bands when I get the chance
Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
Noz

I'm getting ready for college as well! It's almost strange saying that, but I can't wait. I need the freedom.
Noz is offline   Reply With Quote