Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
SoftShocks

Any cosplayers?

I have been cosplaying since I was 16, I'm 22 now. I have two cosplays in the works. Lili from Tekken and Kabal from Mortal Kombat.
So do any of you guys cosplay or go to conventions?
SoftShocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Solumina

I used to in uni but haven't really since, probably because I just had way more time as a student. I have more free time now but no crafting space (and cosplay takes a bit of space) hopefully once we move to our next duty station I'll be able to start up again.

For the most part I like smaller conventions, I've been to some of the big ones like Otakon but too many people in too little of a space seemed to really let the creepers get away with being super creepy. Nekocon (a local con back in VA) is probably my favorite, it was large enough to get some great voice actors and stuff for panels, it has grown a bit but is still small enough that staff are really accessible and able to fairly quickly deal with any problems. I won't say there were never problems, I don't think any cons completely avoid cosplay related problems, but staff is pretty proactive and fully embrace the idea that "cosplay is not consent" so if a someone gets handsy they will take notice, they will come over, and if someone keeps being a problem they will get kicked out. It really made me feel comfortable to cosplay whatever I wanted, at other cons I definitely always stick with cosplays that keep me a little more covered.

So far I've only done fabric costumes, nothing molded or metal and nothing structural, just because I've been sewing since I was about 10 so I know what I can do and I know how long it will take me (also I'm really bad at leaving things until the last minute so knowing exactly what I can crank out in no time is kind of a necessity). I'm also lucky enough to be friends with a couple of professional costumers (one at Colonial Williamsburg so she is the best for any period costumes, and 2 who work for local theaters) so I've been able to get great advice and help with pattern making, I'm good at sewing, not so much at making patterns so they have really been a huge help.

I have done some leather work but only accessories, I'd love to do larger pieces but it gets really warm at cons and I think leather could get pretty uncomfortable. Maybe if I ever go to a con someplace cold but that isn't going to happen anytime soon as we'll be in Hawaii for a couple of years.

I've never really tried working with plastics or foam. I'd like to at some point, I just never have and none of my friends work with them so I'd have nobody to guide me.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
SoftShocks

Hey, I use to go to Neko and Otakon every year when I lived in VA, small world haha. im in Arizona now.

Yes making props and carrying them can be a hassle.
I cosplay as Grell from black Butler at every con I go to and carrying his chainsaw all day around people is pretty rough.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Solumina

What part of VA were you in? Also how well did you know the other cosplayers at Neko? We could have some mutual friends.

If I start off with props Jake always has a backpack and usually about an hour into the con any and all of my props end up in that.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
SoftShocks

I lived in Chesapeake.
I really didn't know anybody outside of my group to be honest.