Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
NachtSorcier

Dammit

Um, I'm just going to expose what a loser I am now.

I hate when I can't do something...it makes me feel like a failure and it makes me angry. No matter what it is, if it's something I really want to do (or rather, want to be able to do), I get angry and frustrated if I can't do it. Like drawing. I want to be able to draw but I just can't. It makes me feel like I have no talent, it makes me feel mediocre. I want to be really good at something, but of the few things I can do, I'm merely a jack.

If you don't care, then go away.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

I feel the same way. I hate not being able to do things.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
NachtSorcier

Have you found any kind of solution?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Metabolik

I feel the same way. I don't think there is a solution except practice really REALLY hard on what you want to do, get a pro to help you on the subject or something...if you can find one of course
Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
NachtSorcier

Yeah, that's part of the problem...I feel very alone, not to mention the fact that I don't accept help very well.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
Like drawing. I want to be able to draw but I just can't. It makes me feel like I have no talent, it makes me feel mediocre. I want to be really good at something, but of the few things I can do, I'm merely a jack.
Good gracious! Look what you've done, now you've made me depressed as well. I have the exact same problem at the moment. I used to have talent, but lately I haven't been able to draw anything. Whenever I take a pencil and paper and try to create something, it always ends up with the piece of paper being torn and me crying. I really hope this is just a phase, and that it won't last forever.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Raven
Good gracious! Look what you've done, now you've made me depressed as well. I have the exact same problem at the moment. I used to have talent, but lately I haven't been able to draw anything. Whenever I take a pencil and paper and try to create something, it always ends up with the piece of paper being torn and me crying. I really hope this is just a phase, and that it won't last forever.
Heh, you've just described every effort I've ever made. I can't even do anything with the first stroke of the pencil; what is meant to be the outline of a head looks nothing like it.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Heh, you've just described every effort I've ever made. I can't even do anything with the first stroke of the pencil; what is meant to be the outline of a head looks nothing like it.
I know, it gives you such a feeling of hopelesness and frustration, not being able to create something... It's like you don't have a purpose any more.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
NachtSorcier

Yup, exactly. In the words of Daria Morgandorfer, "I want to be able to do something, not just anything, but something that means something."

Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Have you found any kind of solution?
Yes. Realize that you can't be good at everything. It's hard, but...it's just true.
I cannot play guitar. I just can't. I can accept that, because I can bake well, sing well, and I'm a damn good lover.

Just be happy with your talents, and don't beat the hell out of yourself for not being good at everything.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
NachtSorcier

I get that, but it's not really a matter of wanting to be good at everything...just something. If I could be really good at just one thing, I would be happy. But alas, "Jack of all trades, master of none."

Old 08-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
MollyMac

When I am not good at something, I overkill it. I sucked at chemistry until I forced myself into a situation where I HAD to be good at it. I made myself do 4 years in university.

Same with dance. Bellydance came easily to me, and I am grateful. Highland dance is hard as fuck. I break it down into its simplest of components, and master the single steps. Then slowly, I put it together. I can draw naturally well, and there is no one that I cannot teach to draw in some manner...

you are born with different levels of aptitude in ALL things. An innate ability in others can be discouraging. But if you want to do something, I have found that ignoring the forest and looking at individual trees works best.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
NachtSorcier

I must have been born as the kind of person who nothing comes easily to.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
MollyMac

Alternately, you could look at it that you have not found what you have a natural aptitude for yet. It may not even be something you like. I HATE law, but I have an innate ability to research and pull together the facts and statutes and build a case that the attorney can use.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
NachtSorcier

That's entirely possible, but I would view something I could do but have no desire to do worthless.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
MollyMac

It's extremely profitable for me, LMAO!!! Then again, my day job finances my night life, so I cannot complain.

I just think that it's a botch that, too often, what you want to do and what you have an innate ability to do are rarely the same thing. At least you can work on what you like to do, become mroe adept.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
NachtSorcier

Money means little to me. I'm simple folk. I probably wouldn't even have a computer if it hadn't reached the same status as the telephone. Actually, I don't even have a telephone, home or cell.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
MollyMac

Money has always afforded me certain freedoms that I require to not go all Ed Gein on y'all... namely, classes in thing si love and gas money for the distance I crave
Old 08-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #19
Aaroneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
When I am not good at something, I overkill it. I sucked at chemistry until I forced myself into a situation where I HAD to be good at it. I made myself do 4 years in university.

Same with dance. Bellydance came easily to me, and I am grateful. Highland dance is hard as fuck. I break it down into its simplest of components, and master the single steps. Then slowly, I put it together. I can draw naturally well, and there is no one that I cannot teach to draw in some manner...

you are born with different levels of aptitude in ALL things. An innate ability in others can be discouraging. But if you want to do something, I have found that ignoring the forest and looking at individual trees works best.

I actually feel the same way about not being good at certain fields (i.e Geometry, or math in general). But when I started high school, I studied math dilligently, went to my teacher for individual help almost every day; before I knew it, I went from failing Algebra, to being an A student in one year.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #20
JCC

If you want to do art but you can't draw, just use Photoshop. I can't draw to save my life, and have managed to mess up stickmen on occassion, but I'm competent to good on Photoshop, and it doesn't make me feel so bad about being crap at drawing. Digital art is still art, after all.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #21
MollyMac

People that use photoshop and call it art are cheating those of us who bust our asses at it.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #22
MollyMac

Addendum-

Ya gotta realize that I don't believe in art, and that I prefer the crafting aspect of creation. Process over final product. Photoshop is the new Factory.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #23
Miss Happy Cat

You have a point there, Molly. I happen to work with Photoshop and have been busting my ass trying to become as good as these people have become.

http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=905

It does take a lot of imagination as with any art form and the creative process can be just as rewarding.
Miss Happy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #24
NachtSorcier

Using only Photoshop and calling yourself an artist is like using only synthesizers and calling yourself a musician.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #25
maggot

You mean perfectly valid?

All it is is arrangement of sound.