Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Archduke_James

No Response on Fiction from Gothic.net?

In mid-July I sent out a short story for consideration from Gothic.net. Since then, I've queried about five times, none of which received a response. Anyone know how to get in touch with the editing staff? Or otherwise get some feedback on where my story is in the consideration process?

If you could help, I'd be most obliged.

Thanks.
Archduke_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Solumina

New short stories haven't been posted in years so I really don't think it is a priority now. Hell this place is currently only visited by a moderator every month or so, I don't think anything around here is much of a priority.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Archduke_James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
New short stories haven't been posted in years so I really don't think it is a priority now. Hell this place is currently only visited by a moderator every month or so, I don't think anything around here is much of a priority.
Ugh. Lame as hell. I had no idea that this was a dead market.

Oh well. Thanks for answering.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
ceb

Not true. I have, as of late, communicated with a(n) Gothic.net associate. With a substantial member base, not all inquires are responded to. This is due to many factors that have been pre-decided by not only the editing staff, but by the Web Masters and Administrative staff.

You might say they are very apt to screen all things "Gothic.net". They are in fact very fair, just, and somewhat indifferent to judging what they may or may not respond to. This is due to the significant number of works submitted.

I applaud your efforts to submit work. This is not the only outlet for writing. Keep trying. Also, just as the edit staff has it's duties, many of them write as well.

Mr. Archduke_James, keep writing your work. In no way would I ever discredit someones work, but, if your work is something Gothic.net feels is meritorious, then believe me, they will talk to you.

They are a nice bunch of people,........smart to,......deadly wicked smart.

Oh, and the market, it may be dead (humor there), but actually, it is bigger, badder, and more evil than ever before.

Good luck.
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Archduke_James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Not true. I have, as of late, communicated with a(n) Gothic.net associate. With a substantial member base, not all inquires are responded to. This is due to many factors that have been pre-decided by not only the editing staff, but by the Web Masters and Administrative staff.

You might say they are very apt to screen all things "Gothic.net". They are in fact very fair, just, and somewhat indifferent to judging what they may or may not respond to. This is due to the significant number of works submitted.

I applaud your efforts to submit work. This is not the only outlet for writing. Keep trying. Also, just as the edit staff has it's duties, many of them write as well.

Mr. Archduke_James, keep writing your work. In no way would I ever discredit someones work, but, if your work is something Gothic.net feels is meritorious, then believe me, they will talk to you.

They are a nice bunch of people,........smart to,......deadly wicked smart.

Oh, and the market, it may be dead (humor there), but actually, it is bigger, badder, and more evil than ever before.

Good luck.
Frankly, I have no time to bother with a market that repeatedly ignores inquiries and has sufficiently established a reputation (as shown by the first response) of not caring to answer or publish anything.

I have written long enough to be able to judge markets based on their professionalism. If this is the active policy of Gothic.net's fiction staff, then I can only draw the conclusion that this is another non-reputable market.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
ceb

Here's a idea for ya. In your centuries of writing, and grand vision of judgment, why don't you self-publish your own material (SHIT). Just because they didn't respond to you doesn't mean you should "assume" anything (you know what they say,....asshole).

I do not speak for Gothic.net at all.

Before you make judgments about this staff (which is actually a childish reactionary response based on the fact you didn't get what you think you should get - selfish and egotistical I might add), if you are as "well-written" as you claim, then you would not be making a "mountain" out of a "mole hill". What I will "infer" from this is that it is possible that you are not "experienced" or "established" ***and*** have no earthly idea what you are fucking doing or talking about when it comes to the market.

If you want a lesson on how to publish and get with the "market", then my little wanna-be-writer-not-friend, sit down, shut up, and let me cut your head off, and pour some knowledge down that pot hole of a shit receptacle that somehow links in to that less-than-pea-size brain you have.

Oh, and uh, you can thank me later.

Fuck you, fuck you very much.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Archduke_James

Quote:
Here's a idea for ya. In your centuries of writing, and grand vision of judgment, why don't you self-publish your own material (SHIT). Just because they didn't respond to you doesn't mean you should "assume" anything (you know what they say,....asshole).
One needn't have centuries of experience to know how to distinguish between legitimate markets and non-legitimate ones. Legitimate ones follow a process called "replying to inquiries". It's a fairly standard procedure which takes a only minute amount of involvement with your business in order to do so. Those markets who think that is too much investment of time and resources...are exactly those markets which don't deserve time spent dealing with them.

Another standard procedure is "form rejection". Though it is vastly preferable to give unique, individual responses, it is fairly standard to give out a form rejection for work one does not want. It is, in contrast, vastly unprofessional to retain work for an indefinite amount of time with no response and no indication, even, that no response will be given after a certain amount of time. The latter is usually the mark of a crap market, but at least it is superior to giving all indications that the market is an active publisher of fiction.

Quote:
I do not speak for Gothic.net at all.
This was clear.

Quote:
Before you make judgments about this staff (which is actually a childish reactionary response based on the fact you didn't get what you think you should get - selfish and egotistical I might add), if you are as "well-written" as you claim, then you would not be making a "mountain" out of a "mole hill". What I will "infer" from this is that it is possible that you are not "experienced" or "established" ***and*** have no earthly idea what you are fucking doing or talking about when it comes to the market.
Allow me to point out something: I am displaying no anger, while you're falling into rather ludicrous histrionics about my response. Who then is the "reactionary"? In fact, I am just pointing out facts about standard procedure, whereas you are going on and on about what appears to be some touchy-feely sentimentality rooted in sycophancy to the "wickedly funny" Gothic.net administration.

Quote:
If you want a lesson on how to publish and get with the "market", then my little wanna-be-writer-not-friend, sit down, shut up, and let me cut your head off, and pour some knowledge down that pot hole of a shit receptacle that somehow links in to that less-than-pea-size brain you have.
Reactionary. Childish. Egotistical. Are you the living vindication of transference or what?

Quote:
Oh, and uh, you can thank me later.

Fuck you, fuck you very much.
No, I'll thank you right now.

Thank you for making me look even better, well considered, and correct. Not only about the staff here on Gothic.net, but about you. You're the embodiment of self-refutation.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Despanan

Yo Archduke James,

I don't know who this "Ceb" guy is. He's not a member of the community here, so take that for what it's worth. He may be a troll, he may work for the site (I wouldn't be surprised), or he may just be some fanboy from blueblood. In any case, Probably not worth arguing with or talking to is what I'm saying.

But yeah, sorry they didn't get back to you (Professionalism is in short supply around here). I haven't seen a new story pop up on here since...well, ever. I applied for the "Zombie Expert" job and got a pretty swift rejection (<---They will rue that, and rue it HARD), but before that I didn't even know they were taking submissions for fiction.

Honestly I wouldn't bother. The fiction was pretty horrible, so unless you write stories about dudes masturbating with pizza slices, or have a "gothic bikini" to advertise you may want to try some other markets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
ceb

Archduke_James, nice, you spent some time to write. I feel loved. Well, let's see,......list your publications, merits, credits, or anything to establish some credibility for your work.

If this was an image game, I "might" consider your "droll" anything but such. Good, you took time to quote and analyze everything I took 30 seconds to write.

Ah Despanan, if only you knew "who" (wink wink) I work for. The only thing I have noticed regarding all of your posts on Gothic.net is self promotion at best. In your entire registered time here on Gothic.net, I have yet to see you contribute anything worth paying attention to (hint).

Oh, and your group by proxy --- I've been watching them as well. Go ahead and let them know too.

I got something special for all of you.

Communities like tribes best serve their own interests.

"Yo, check out my middle finger."

Luvin you like you never been luv'd before.

Me
Old 10-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
ceb

And***, for any one who doesn't like Gothic.net, has some bullshit to say, and forget the membership is free, and Gothic.net allows thousands to post mindless pathetic bullshit (at best)......

.......feel free to cancel your membership at any time.

Besides, regardless of what you do here, the purpose you serve is beyond 90% of any of your understanding.

Thanks for making Gothic.net great!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Despanan

yeeaaaahhhhh. I'm going with "Troll" on this one.
Quote:
Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
ceb

Brenton Lengel (if that is your real name). Thanks for linking your site with personal information into your post.

I'll be looking for you.

Thanks for posting again.

Keep coming back again, and again, and again, and again....

...........as I know you will. Golly gee, a member since 2008, a half-ass'ed personal web site, and no noted or personal reputation to speak of. Amazing!

One need not troll when one has Admin priv's. I see everything my little 90's hippie clone.

despanan@G*M*A*I*L*.*C*O*M*

Oh, and what is really funny is how some "members" pass around "troll" as if there is some power or justification in using that word.

You came back, didn't you (wink).

Ah yes, Gothic.net own your souls,.....and you will keep coming back time after time.

Thank you so much!!!

As Dire Straits once said, "Get your money for nothing and your chicks for free."
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
None of which they have published ... for YEARS!

Heh!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
ceb

What can I say other than there is a load of crap out there. And* to be quite frank, most of it stinks.

Keep this in mind, "You wanna play, you must pay."

"Bullshit talks, Money walks."

There are more than a few Gothic.net members who have gotten the idea and done just that (Self-publish).

Fuck you if you do not understand that.

So, stop fucking whining and crying about Gothic.net NOT publishing your shit stories, and use your brain for more than just writing your crappy ass stories.

If you are smart enough to pull stories (that suck) out of your ass, then you should be smart enough to figure out how to get published (I could be wrong on that, lots of idiots here).

HAIL SATAN !!!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
Alan

So you went from "if your stories were good, Gnet would publish them" to "fuck you and self-publish" because you know Gnet would never publish jack shit?
That's grand.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
So, stop fucking whining and crying about Gothic.net NOT publishing your shit stories, and use your brain for more than just writing your crappy ass stories.
I'm not whining about Gnet not publishing my stories; I've never submitted one to this tar hole. I merely pointed out how untenable your position is. A place that still holds the logo "Bone Chilling Literary Culture" in it's banner would need to publish some literature in the past 5 years to live up to said logo. The onus isn't on rank amateurs or other writers of various skill sets to meet a certain bar; it's up to Gnet to publish SOMETHING from time to time ... otherwise it will continue to slide into irrelevant obscurity as it has been doing.

If I wanted to get published, I'd figure out a way to do it. I sure wouldn't waste any time submitting something here.

And as for your crass attempts at insults, all I can say is ... weak.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Sinjob

That whole thing was a joke in the first place. Goddamn those fucking stories sucked. The irony (aside from that being the apparent original basis of gothic.net in the first place which makes no sense) is people actually took them seriously so now Gnet's gone BIG TIME and promotes the new teen wolf show on MTV. Stay tuned for more!
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Despanan

Quote:
One need not troll when one has Admin priv's. I see everything my little 90's hippie clone.
wait...so you're saying you have admin privileges? As in you're STAFF?

Prove it. Edit a message into this post:

[Right here. Replace this text with something else]
Quote: