Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Saya

The Crow Remake

Quote:
It’s been a strange road for The Crow remake. We’ve been covering the film since 2008, and during that time it’s gone through multiple directors, writers, and lead actors. Now, it appears that The Crow is going through yet another change.

Most recently, director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and Hangover star Bradley Cooper were linked to the project. Fresnadillo is still directing the film, but it looks like he’s going to need another star.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Cooper has left the project due to scheduling conflicts with Alex Proyas’ Paradise Lost. (Such is the life of a hot Hollywood A-lister.) Cooper’s departure opens up the role for another actor, and, interestingly, one of the names being discussed is a blast from the past.

In addition to the news that Cooper is leaving the film, THR reports that Channing Tatum and Mark Wahlberg are being considered as possible replacements. Fans might recall that Wahlberg was offered the lead role for the film last year, but he announced that he would not be playing the part a couple of months later.

One of the reasons Wahlberg said he dropped out of The Crow was because his preferred director (Stephen Norrington) was no longer attached to the film. Considering that Norrington still isn’t on board, it seems unlikely that Wahlberg would return to the project, but stranger things have happened.

The rumor that Channing Tatum may be involved the project makes more sense, and could actually be a good turn for the actor. With lead roles in films like G.I. Joe, Tatum has become a legitimate movie star and is one of the few actors in Hollywood that could get audiences excited about yet another Hollywood remake. Whether you like him or not, he definitely fits the part and makes sense from the studio’s perspective.

What do you think? Is Cooper’s departure disappointing? Could Channing Tatum succeed in a gritty reboot of The Crow, or will nobody be able to fill Brandon Lee’s shoes as the vengeful rocker Eric Draven?
http://screenrant.com/the-crow-bradl...m-robf-128151/

How does Tatum fit the part? I know Brandon Lee wasn't a skinny kid or anything, but dudebro GI Joe doesn't scream "ICON FOR GAWF KIDS OF THE NINETIES" to me.

This remake is going to be SHIT. The first movie wasn't great, but I think why so many people like it is just the emotional connection to it. Brandon Lee's untimely death, and the fact that the comic was written by James O'barr as a means to deal with the murder of someone close to him, well its no Citizen Kane but the tragedy surrounding it I think is a really important element to why so many people love it.

The sequels were horrible and bombed and were forgotten, why would they ever think a remake would do better?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Sinjob

That's messed up...man
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Ben Lahnger

I don't have much hope this will be any good, but the idea of remaking The Crow isn't terrible ... it is after all a film that didn't really live up to the potential of the source material. But now that the first film is so heavily identified with the story ... well, hell.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Saya

I don't think film can ever live up to the source material without being basically an art film. It was more poetic than anything, wasn't always totally coherent and very expressive rather than narrative. There was also basically no suspense, he was invincible to the end, adding the bit about "kill the crow, and kill the man" I thought pretty weak, but but having an invincible man going around getting revenge with no threat to himself probably wouldn't have made for good film. I remember seeing an interview with Brandon Lee in which he was sad they weren't filming in black and white, but other than that I don't know what other adjustments one could make.

Except maybe cutting the kid's scenes. She was kinda annoying.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Ben Lahnger

See if this lights a fire in your mind ... what if Tarantino was going to make it? Or Robert "From Dusk Till Dawn" Rodriguez?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Saya

Heh, I'm a big Tarantino fan, but I think its too doomy and gloomy for him, you know? And his strength is dialogue, I don't think he'd do too well with the poetic monologues.

Rodriguez, I've only seen Planet Terror. I started From Dusk Till Dawn but wasn't interested in it, I think I fell asleep watching it.

ETA: I was thinking a while ago that Tarantino is awesome at writing female characters (Kill Bill, Death Proof), and I'd totally trust him for a Wonder Woman film.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Ben Lahnger

Huh. Now there's some food for thought.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Saya

It would be pretty badass. I think Guillermo del Toro would do a good job as well (he rocks with the mythical creatures, he's done Hell Boy which was a decent comic book movie, and his films generally have good female characters.)

They should let me be in charge of comic movies.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Ben Lahnger

Well, when I wanted someone who was good at bringing strong female leads to the screen to do Wonder Woman, they announced Joss Whedon was going to do it and I was thrilled. Then he and the studio fell apart on "creative differences", and I pretty much lost faith in the studios ability to make good judgments in the matter.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
Saya

Yeah, I heard about that, and its part of the reason why I hope the movie never gets made, along with the model they had hoped to cast (seriously, a model, not an actress.)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #11
Ben Lahnger

I believe you're thinking about the television series that was going to be made by David E. Kelley, which DID look like it was going to be a total train wreck.

Whedon never said who he was going to cast as Wonder Woman for his movie ... there were just plenty of rumors. And since all the inside info says he's doing a masterful job making "The Avengers", there's no reason to assume he couldn't have done a credible job with Wonder Woman.

Unlesss your talking about the studios' "creative differences" that caused Whedon to walk. Yeah, once that happened, I really didn't want to see the movie made either.

Then I had this very brief moment of hope when I heard NBC wanted to make a TV series ... *sigh*

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #12
Saya

No no, this was after Whedon left. Actually I think one of the Dark Knight writers wants to direct now, or at least write it.

The TV show was probably doomed from the moment they conceived the line "And she'll pine for Steve Trevor the way Carrie pines for Big." They made her too whiny too, I don't understand why WW would be all like BEING WONDER WOMAN IS HARD NO ONE UNDERSTANDS *tear*.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Sinjob

They might as well make more shitty sequels instead, they really had something there. Good streak. Good streak. A nice black one that resembles the devil's skidmark.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
vindicatedxjin

Channing tatum is hot, but i don't see him as the crow AT ALL. However I can't really picture any actor making a good crow. Maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
Hydrodyssodia

Well, Johnny Depp, duh
Hydrodyssodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
Spooky Spencer

Top Dollar: "Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

Eric Draven (looking drunk and played by Johnny Depp): "Am I not?"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote